Beau Baldwin thread... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Beau Baldwin thread...

That's fair. I don't think he'd energize the fan base.

That is until we throw for 400 yards and score 8 TDs in his first game.

Yes and although 6-5 this year, there is a pretty good body of work there. I think the fan base is beyond a cheap thrill at this point, only thing that will energize is exciting winning football. The splash won't matter if we don't win..

Baldwin is an out of the box guy that could really work here

If he comes in as HC/ Oc as well it leaves $$$ open for defensive staff as well. I could totally see Coyle hiring this guy, put a few east coast/ Florida guys on staff and take a shot. Lots of jucos out there to go after quickly as well
So hire him and maybe Rocco Casullo? I noticed he resigned earlier this year for other opportunities...

Fire a coach after 3 years to hire an FCS coach from the State of Washington with no FBS experience, no ties to the NE and no connections to the University. Hmmm...ok. This reorganization plan sounds like its going well.

Louie and Bouie said:
Fire a coach after 3 years to hire an FCS coach from the State of Washington with no FBS experience, no ties to the NE and no connections to the University. Hmmm...ok. This reorganization plan sounds like its going well.

I thought the job was to get the best realistic candidate, not who fits prerequisites and checkboxes. Limit your parameters, limit your search, limit your chances at the best guy.

You hire the best football coach you can get within your criteria. How do we know that northeast roots or ties to the university even means anything to Coyle?

I thought the job was to get the best realistic candidate, not who fits prerequisites and checkboxes. Limit your parameters, limit your search, limit your chances at the best guy.

You seem to be more level-headed than most. Do you really believe this is a good thing or are you caught up in the wave? Personally, I'm shocked this is even being seriously discussed and considered. If hiring the coach of E. Washington was the succession plan upon firing HCSS I want/need some of what Coyle is taking.

However, I don't seriously believe Coyle would be so foolish so this is all forum fodder.

IthacaBarrel said:
You hire the best football coach you can get within your criteria. How do we know that northeast roots or ties to the university even means anything to Coyle?

We don't. I don't expect Coyle to hire a guy with northeast roots and a knowledge of what it takes to recruit and succeed here.

I'm sure Coyle has thought about this.

However, our only two periods of success over the last 25 years were with head coaches (P and Marrone) with strong Northeast ties.

Hopefully the new guy will be so good that it won't matter.

Louie and Bouie said:
You seem to be more level-headed than most. Do you really believe this is a good thing or are you caught up in the wave? Personally, I'm shocked this is even being seriously discussed and considered. If hiring the coach of E. Washington was the succession plan upon firing HCSS I want/need some of what Coyle is taking. However, I don't seriously believe Coyle would be so foolish so this is all forum fodder.

I think going safe yields safe results. Cast a wide net, see what turns up.

We don't. I don't expect Coyle to hire a guy with northeast roots and a knowledge of what it takes to recruit and succeed here.

I'm sure Coyle has thought about this.

However, our only two periods of success over the last 25 years were with head coaches (P and Marrone) with strong Northeast ties.

Hopefully the new guy will be so good that it won't matter.

I agree with you but thing to remember about the northeast is it isn't the same as it was 25 years ago. There are are teams than there use to be and for the most part football at the hs level is a dying sport in the northeast. Hire one jersey guy and those are your northeast roots, done and covered.

We don't. I see how you left out any FBS experience on any level out of your question. I guess that's not a parameter either.

This is mind-boggling. Not going to continue on and on as I only posted due to shock that this was even a consideration. However, for purposes of sanity, I have to believe that this fella is only a consideration by the board and not the people that matter so I'm not going to get into a huge back and forth. I just can't believe some people seem to be ok/happy about this possibility.

To each their own I guess.

I'm assuming that the guys who have a problem with Baldwin because he has not connections in the East, would also have a problem with Frost.
We ran into this problem with Coach Shafer and his staff. The only coaches who had any experience recruiting the traditional areas where SU gets its players were McDonald and to a lesser extent Lester. And they only had experience recruiting Florida. We had no one with experience recruiting the New England, NY, NJ, PA, the DC metro area, Canada, Georgia, etc.

It took years and hiring someone from outside of Shafer's inner circle (Acosta) to make any inroads recruiting these areas. We largely wrote off a couple of recruiting classes because of this and the impact of that is being felt now, and will be felt for a couple more years to come.

College football isn't an Xbox game. Successful recruiting requires establishing relationships with HS coaches, getting them to become comfortable with coaches, where they have confidence their players will be in a good environment where they can thrive on and off the field. That is why the hire of Acosta made a big impact in SU recruiting almost from the day he was hired.

If you bring in good people and if they work hard, make a lot of visits, do a lot of clinics, speak at a lot of awards ceremonies, show up at all star games, etc. than over time, you can overcome having no familiarity with a region. If you were a really good recruiter in another area, you can help to make up for the failings in your prime area by bringing in a few players from outside that area. The only reason Shafer's first couple of classes weren't complete washouts was that he and his staff were able to get a handful of good players out of the Midwest.

I would prefer to not throw away a couple of years by doing what Shafer did and going with a staff made completely of outsiders. We can't afford to write off that much time. I am down with bringing in someone with a strong offensive background. Just hope whoever that person is doesn't make the mistakes Coach Shafer made ignoring almost the entire the East coast. The area within a 5 hour drive of your college campus needs to be a big part of your recruiting focus, as does the area from DC to Florida, since we play there all the time in our conference.

If one of the first things the new coach does is announce that Acosta is being retained, it will be a great sign to me that the new guys gets it.

We ran into this problem with Coach Shafer and his staff. The only coaches who had any experience recruiting the traditional areas where SU gets its players were McDonald and to a lesser extent Lester. And they only had experience recruiting Florida. We had no one with experience recruiting the New England, NY, NJ, PA, the DC metro area, Canada, Georgia, etc.

It took years and hiring someone from outside of Shafer's inner circle (Acosta) to make any inroads recruiting these areas. We largely wrote off a couple of recruiting classes because of this and the impact of that is being felt now, and will be felt for a couple more years to come.

College football isn't an Xbox game. Successful recruiting requires establishing relationships with HS coaches, getting them to become comfortable with coaches, where they have confidence their players will be in a good environment where they can thrive on and off the field. That is why the hire of Acosta made a big impact in SU recruiting almost from the day he was hired.

If you bring in good people and if they work hard, make a lot of visits, do a lot of clinics, speak at a lot of awards ceremonies, show up at all star games, etc. than over time, you can overcome having no familiarity with a region. If you were a really good recruiter in another area, you can help to make up for the failings in your prime area by bringing in a few players from outside that area. The only reason Shafer's first couple of classes weren't complete washouts was that he and his staff were able to get a handful of good players out of the Midwest.

I would prefer to not throw away a couple of years by doing what Shafer did and going with a staff made completely of outsiders. We can't afford to write off that much time. I am down with bringing in someone with a strong offensive background. Just hope whoever that person is doesn't make the mistakes Coach Shafer made ignoring almost the entire the East coast. The area within a 5 hour drive of your college campus needs to be a big part of your recruiting focus, as does the area from DC to Florida, since we play there all the time in our conference.

If one of the first things the new coach does is announce that Acosta is being retained, it will be a great sign to me that the new guys gets it.
I don't want a northeast head coach because I'm afraid the offense will be stupid

Other people don't want a western coach because they're worried they won't have eastern recruiters.

it's a lot easier to judge whether a coach meets your conditions for hiring somebody from the east. can't lie about that. coaches can lie about the offense they want to run. we've had two coaches in a row talk about playing fast and most of the time, they didn't. you don't know it was baloney until later.

We don't. I see how you left out any FBS experience on any level out of your question. I guess that's not a parameter either.

This is mind-boggling. Not going to continue on and on as I only posted due to shock that this was even a consideration. However, for purposes of sanity, I have to believe that this fella is only a consideration by the board and not the people that matter so I'm not going to get into a huge back and forth. I just can't believe some people seem to be ok/happy about this possibility.

To each their own I guess.

Typically when people read a thread, they at least read the first post. The OP of this thread has some connections and the name was derived as a result of that. So the name came from somewhere, not just pulled from wikipedia.

So I agree, a little mind-boggling.

Promote L&B to 1st string

Boeheim
Danforth
Hopkins
Andreas
Schwartzwalder
Maloney
MacPherson
Pasqualoni
Robinson
Marrone
Shafer

All have one thing in common:

Their first D-1 Head Coaching job was at Syracuse.
So, you're saying it's pretty much a crap shoot.

I'd be good with this guy.

Still think we land Frost soon, but if not this guy should be one of the fallback options.

Other than he's not a known name, this guy makes all the sense in the world. Checks many boxes. I know people like to have boxes checked.

I read a lot about him when his name first came up. High energy guy, players love him, speaks really well, and has proven he can coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom