Better Call Saul | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

So... I've never watched it.

Question -- is it basically a story that shows what happens to Jesse after Walt liberates him?
Yeah, and other things during his imprisonment, but tonally very different. It's not slow burn. Very intense the whole way through.

So... I've never watched it.

Question -- is it basically a story that shows what happens to Jesse after Walt liberates him?
Oh man, both of you guys have something to look forward to. I recently rewatched it and enjoyed it even more.

It's Jesse's conclusion. Shows exactly what happens to him after he's driving away. Not a slow burn because there is not time for it. Frankly, nor is it the time for slow.

Some great flashbacks that really make you understand even more about what Jesse went through, and what he's had to deal with. Great acting as well, as expected.

Oh man, both of you guys have something to look forward to. I recently rewatched it and enjoyed it even more.

It's Jesse's conclusion. Shows exactly what happens to him after he's driving away. Not a slow burn because there is not time for it. Frankly, nor is it the time for slow.

Some great flashbacks that really make you understand even more about what Jesse went through, and what he's had to deal with. Great acting as well, as expected.
Yeah if they could CGI fat Todd (masterfully played by Jesse P. Lemons) to be, uh, regular Todd so it doesn't feel like it breaks continuity so much, it really would be perfect.

But yeah, I'd be really surprised if someone on the BB/BCS journey didn't really enjoy it. Or at least feel like it's a critical part of the story.

Yeah if they could CGI fat Todd (masterfully played by Jesse P. Lemons) to be, uh, regular Todd so it doesn't feel like it breaks continuity so much, it really would be perfect.

But yeah, I'd be really surprised if someone on the BB/BCS journey didn't really enjoy it. Or at least feel like it's a critical part of the story.
Yeah if that’s the biggest thing though…

And agreed, his acting is so good. Feel he’s extremely underrated.

Just not buying that Saul would do what he did at the very end. Goes against everything in his character

I buy it.

He consistently self sabotages.

He also does consistently wrestle with his conscience. Sure, he wins that battle 95% of the time, but I wouldn’t say it totally goes against his character and I think if there’s one person in the world he’d do it for, it’s Kim.

I was listening to a podcast in which they were talking that the last episode of BCS is loosely similar to A Christmas Carol.

Saul is Scrooge and he is visited by three ghosts - Mike, Walter, and Chuck.
The flashbacks with these ghosts help show some of the mistakes that Saul has made but also that Saul still has some James McGill in him.

It’s a very loose comparison that I’m butchering here but still kind of an interesting angle.

I was listening to a podcast in which they were talking that the last episode of BCS is loosely similar to A Christmas Carol.

Saul is Scrooge and he is visited by three ghosts - Mike, Walter, and Chuck.
The flashbacks with these ghosts help show some of the mistakes that Saul has made but also that Saul still has some James McGill in him.

It’s a very loose comparison that I’m butchering here but still kind of an interesting angle.
Very interesting. Makes sense on why they included those flashbacks and why Saul finally did something “good” again at the end.

Watching the last season, loved the show, absolutely hate the last season……

Watching the last season, loved the show, absolutely hate the last season……

Wow -- completely disagree. Thought that the last season was amazing, right up to the very end [which to me didn't quite end on the note I was hoping for].

Still pretty dang good.

Wow -- completely disagree. Thought that the last season was amazing, right up to the very end [which to me didn't quite end on the note I was hoping for].

Still pretty dang good.
Just seems very slow, on the last episode now. There were some crazy moments, and some really awesome plot twists, but I did enjoy the first few seasons.

I liked Chucks character, was tough to see him go as much as I wanted him to fail against Jimmy.

Mike seemed to lose a lot of steam the last season.

I love the show, better than most crap on, the last season has just been weird and hard for me to get into.

Just seems very slow, on the last episode now. There were some crazy moments, and some really awesome plot twists, but I did enjoy the first few seasons.

I liked Chucks character, was tough to see him go as much as I wanted him to fail against Jimmy.

I love the show, better than most crap on, the last season has just been weird and hard for me to get into.
I thought the ending made sense -
Saul spending the rest of his days in prison and having the respect of his fellow inmates due to his prior life as an attorney representing the the clients no one else wanted.
Mike just got too old for the role. The scene with Lalo and Howard is one of those TV "Wow Moments" (see other thread).

Last edited:

I can see that. Watching it live, every week was probably different than catching up after the fact. It didn't feel slow with the breaks. Or rather, at least not any slower than the classic Vince Gilligan slow burn stuff ever seems.

That's fair -- and obviously, everyone has different ways they'll experience what they are watching.

All I know is during both the first half of the last season [leading up to the Lalo / Howard incident] and the first 2/3 of the second half, I found it captivating.

I don't think that the ending sustained that thrill-a-minute breakneck pacing, or made the stakes quite as high -- but I think the ending was quite satisfying. It was just different than what I expected -- showing the mundane aspects of subsequent years for Kim / Jimmy.

And the ending was great -- just again not what I expected. Part of me would have liked to see Slippin' Jimmy on the run at the end and going out in a blaze of glory, instead of getting quickly scooped up by police in Omaha.

At one point during the final season, I was convinced that I was watching the best television program ever. I don't think that the ending quite lived up to that, but if it "only" ends up in the top 10 all time of shows, that's pretty freaking good.

Last edited:
That's fair -- and obviously, everyone has different ways they'll experience what they are watching.

All I know is during both the first half of the last season [leading up to the Lalo / Howard incident] and the first 2/3 of the second half, I found it captivating.

I don't think that the ending sustained that thrill-a-minute breakneck pacing, or made the stakes quite as high -- but I think the ending was quite satisfying. It was just different than what I expected -- showing the mundane aspects of subsequent years for Kim / Jimmy.

And the ending was great -- just again not what I expected. Part of me would have liked to see Slippin' Jimmy on the run at the end and going out in a blaze of glory, instead of getting quickly scooped up by police in Omaha.

At one point during the final season, I was convinced that I was watching the best television program ever. I don't think that the ending quite lived up to that, but if it "only" ends up in the top 10 all time of shows, that's pretty freaking good.
Agree: top 10, didn't surpass Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Shield (arguably best series close out ever), et alia; still great stuff from the showrunners. Felt it was missing an 'Ozymandias'-level episode near the end.

Edit: Lalo has got to be in the running for most charismatic, entertaining antagonist in television history. Top tier wire-to-wire from Tony Dalton.

Agree: top 10, didn't surpass Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Shield (arguably best series close out ever), et alia; still great stuff from the showrunners. Felt it was missing an 'Ozymandias'-level episode near the end.

Edit: Lalo has got to be in the running for most charismatic, entertaining antagonist in television history. Top tier wire-to-wire from Tony Dalton.
Yeah, and they really needed a Lalo character that drips charisma to keep things fresh and introduce some chaos to how methodical a lot of the storytelling sometimes felt. He 100% nailed it.

We just binge-watched the final season. Having waited well over a year to watch it, we found it tough to get back into it easily. Wish they'd recapped things better so that we could have jumped right in.

The relationship between Kim and Jimmy was one for the ages. Rhea Seehorn rocks!

For awhile, it was a little confusing, what with the 'Gene' (or was it 'Viktor'?) scenes in black and white.

But I liked the final episode, how the scenes with Chuck and Walter cleared up lingering questions, especially Jimmy's 'time machine' obsession.

Yes, both Mike and Gus were showing their years, but they're such iconic characters.

A great series, one for the ages. After all, does it really matter whether it belongs in a Top Ten, or even a Top Fifty? We're just glad we were around to see it.

We just binge-watched the final season. Having waited well over a year to watch it, we found it tough to get back into it easily. Wish they'd recapped things better so that we could have jumped right in.

The relationship between Kim and Jimmy was one for the ages. Rhea Seehorn rocks!

For awhile, it was a little confusing, what with the 'Gene' (or was it 'Viktor'?) scenes in black and white.

But I liked the final episode, how the scenes with Chuck and Walter cleared up lingering questions, especially Jimmy's 'time machine' obsession.

Yes, both Mike and Gus were showing their years, but they're such iconic characters.

A great series, one for the ages. After all, does it really matter whether it belongs in a Top Ten, or even a Top Fifty? We're just glad we were around to see it.

There are some great 15-20 minute recap videos of what transpired before the final season. I watched one before the season started and it was super helpful in getting back on track.

Now you tell me...

the rock maui GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom