Better Call Saul | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

He would rather have Kim’s forgiveness and respect. That was worth more to him than a shorter sentence and eventual return to his miserable existence.
I watched it a second time, and now I see it. The first time I got hung up on the fact that Kim is essentially judgment proof, therefore he wasn't actually protecting her from anything by doing what he did. And two, I really fell for the head fake that he was a total dbag, with nothing really to redeem. The second he let go of Marion's LifeAlert, I should have know he was going to end up doing the right thing.

I watched it a second time, and now I see it. The first time I got hung up on the fact that Kim is essentially judgment proof, therefore he wasn't actually protecting her from anything by doing what he did. And two, I really fell for the head fake that he was a total dbag, with nothing really to redeem. The second he let go of Marion's LifeAlert, I should have know he was going to end up doing the right thing.
I definitely appreciated the episode more in retrospect than at the first viewing. I've watched some scenes a second time and it really does makes a lot of sense to end it the way they did. Saul is definitely more comfortable around criminals. Also, Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould both left open the possibility of another project with Kim and/or Saul in a couple interviews I read.

A series on Saul’s prison exploits could be amazing. He’ll be running things in there within a month.

I’m having trouble accepting that it’s over. Love watching that universe they created over the last 14-15 years.
Yeah, pretty crazy this world all started back in 2008.

It’s been hitting me that this might be the last show I actually watch on TV as it airs and then discuss with people after, speculate what’s next, and look forward to the next episode throughout the week.

Kinda sad. I hate the Netflix model of dropping the whole season at once and I like very few shows enough to really get into them. BCS could be the very last of a dying breed, for me at least.

It’s been hitting me that this might be the last show I actually watch on TV as it airs and then discuss with people after, speculate what’s next, and look forward to the next episode throughout the week.

Kinda sad. I hate the Netflix model of dropping the whole season at once and I like very few shows enough to really get into them. BCS could be the very last of a dying breed, for me at least.
Don’t lose hope.

HBO is due for another blockbuster series.

Probably not gonna be their Game of Thrones prequel but they’re due.

Don’t lose hope.

HBO is due for another blockbuster series.

Probably not gonna be their Game of Thrones prequel but they’re due.
Hope so. I’m pretty picky though. I think I watched the first 2 episodes of GOT, and didn’t care to continue. I have trouble getting into new shows - they’ve gotta really do it for me, or else I’d rather just rewatch I show I already know I love rather than watch something new that I’m not sold on.

Final couple were a bit different. So... I'm not sure that it ended up being the "best ever" show -- last couple of episodes felt kind of like a denouement -- but it has to be up there in the top echelon.

Great run, what terrific entertainment.
Forgive the pedantry, but... the final parts of a play, or episode(s) of a show, that (ideally) end the character arcs and resolve plot are by definition the denouement. Guess I'm glad it felt like one, although more of an erosion, or crumbling - they failed to maintain the intensity of the arc, and it certainly didn't go where I'd hoped at the end of S06 part 1 (and there I concur with your assessment).

Season 6 Amc GIF by Better Call Saul

Forgive the pedantry, but... the final parts of a play, or episode(s) of a show, that (ideally) end the character arcs and resolve plot are by definition the denouement. Guess I'm glad it felt like one, although more of an erosion, or crumbling - they failed to maintain the intensity of the arc, and it certainly didn't go where I'd hoped at the end of S06 part 1 (and there I concur with your assessment).

Season 6 Amc GIF by Better Call Saul

I think your pedantic point [totally kidding] missed mine.

The last few episodes did not have to be so slow paced. The preceding several episodes [dating back across the mid-season finale] were white knuckle action. The pace turned to set up the ending.

But it might have been different, if -- say for example -- Gene had gone on the run, with the po po in hot pursuit. Then, it wouldn't have been a denouement. And it wouldn't have necessarily been out of character for a show that shocked people episode after episode with intensity.

It was more like a tonal shift. Not criticizing that they gave Kim a happy ending, or that they resolved what happened to Gene. It was just a slower burn than what had built up before.

I felt like BCS was the slow burn show, compared to Breaking Bad, so that aspect of it worked for me. I still score Chicanery as the best episode of the series, and one of my all-time best of any show and that was pure slow burn.

I felt like BCS was the slow burn show, compared to Breaking Bad, so that aspect of it worked for me. I still score Chicanery as the best episode of the series, and one of my all-time best of any show and that was pure slow burn.
Had to look it up as I don’t often remember episode names - yes that one is an all timer right there.

Off the top of my head that one, the season 1 episode with Mike’s backstory and the dirty cops, and the final 3 episodes of season 5 - Jimmy in the desert with the $7 million, Lalo’s visit to Jimmy and Kim’s home, and Nacho setting up Lalo……those would probably be my top 5 off the top of my head.

Hope so. I’m pretty picky though. I think I watched the first 2 episodes of GOT, and didn’t care to continue. I have trouble getting into new shows - they’ve gotta really do it for me, or else I’d rather just rewatch I show I already know I love rather than watch something new that I’m not sold on.
HBO are the only ones that usually make things at that kind of level. I don't know what else has been made by someone else that reached those heights in the last 10-15 years outside of BB, BCS and 1st few seasons of Walking Dead.

Had to look it up as I don’t often remember episode names - yes that one is an all timer right there.

Off the top of my head that one, the season 1 episode with Mike’s backstory and the dirty cops, and the final 3 episodes of season 5 - Jimmy in the desert with the $7 million, Lalo’s visit to Jimmy and Kim’s home, and Nacho setting up Lalo……those would probably be my top 5 off the top of my head.

Oh I almost forgot the little nugget from the finale - did we know before this that Mike himself was also a dirty cop? I mean obviously once he murdered those dudes it was a wrap, but before that?

Oh I almost forgot the little nugget from the finale - did we know before this that Mike himself was also a dirty cop? I mean obviously once he murdered those dudes it was a wrap, but before that?
Hmmm, I thought in that season 1 episode Mike admitted he was involved in the corruption too? Would have to rewatch though.

Yeah, off the top of my head I'd include Plan and Execution (Howard and Lalo), Five-O (Mike's backstory), Bad Choice Road (Lalo goes into the desert to investigate Jimmy's story), Waterworks (Kim's new life in Florida), all nearly interchangeable behind Chicanery.

Yeah, off the top of my head I'd include Plan and Execution (Howard and Lalo), Five-O (Mike's backstory), Bad Choice Road (Lalo goes into the desert to investigate Jimmy's story), Waterworks (Kim's new life in Florida), all nearly interchangeable behind Chicanery.
In the BB/BCS universe I’m an absolute sucker for the episodes where they go out in the middle of the desert.

The one where Walt and Jesse went out there to cook for days, and got low on water, had to make a battery, etc….can rewatch that one anytime.

In the BB/BCS universe I’m an absolute sucker for the episodes where they go out in the middle of the desert.

The one where Walt and Jesse went out there to cook for days, and got low on water, had to make a battery, etc….can rewatch that one anytime.
Yeah, in a day and age where everything is filmed in Georgia it's nice when shows lean into unique locations.

I read that Saul was wearing a blue ribbon in the court scene in the finale, which was in regards to the airplane crash that happened in season 2 of Breaking Bad - after which everyone in that town was wearing those ribbons.

These guys don’t miss any details.

First 20 minutes of “El Camino” are some of my favorite of the entire BB/BCS Universe. Felt like this was the place to post that. Skinny and Badger stepping up and coming through for Jesse. Tension was so high before he got out of town. Man…such great TV.

First 20 minutes of “El Camino” are some of my favorite of the entire BB/BCS Universe. Felt like this was the place to post that. Skinny and Badger stepping up and coming through for Jesse. Tension was so high before he got out of town. Man…such great TV.
I rewatched El Camino recently and I was thinking that the big wads of cash that Badger and Skinny Pete gave Jesse were probably payments from Walter for helping him with scaring Gretchen and Elliot with the laser pointers.

I haven't been able to bring myself to rewatch El Camino. The entire BB universe is so perfect and it just didn't hit for me. It wasn't bad mind you, it just wasn't up to par with the rest of the universe in my opinion. Fat Todd didn't help either.

I need to give it a second chance.

I haven't been able to bring myself to rewatch El Camino. The entire BB universe is so perfect and it just didn't hit for me. It wasn't bad mind you, it just wasn't up to par with the rest of the universe in my opinion. Fat Todd didn't help either.

I need to give it a second chance.
Watch it again. Aaron Paul kills it. It's a tremendous closure for him, honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom