Buffalo Bills - Draft / Free Agency | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills - Draft / Free Agency

Mike Florio reporting that the Colts aren't pursuing Bell at all.

Packers are probably out after the spending spree they just went on. I'd still guess it's ultimately the Jets or Ravens; if Ravens get close to the Jets offer, it'll be Baltimore IMO.

Texans can cut Miller and save over $6m so I think they do make some sense. 3 year deal fits in perfect with Watson's cheap years. Jets are the ones I'd be unsure of right now as they just spent a ton yesterday. Colts really don't make too much sense. Mack might end up being 90% of Bell for 9% of the money. At this point I hope it's true and would be happy. He brings such an upgrade to both the run and pass game and would make everything easier for Allen to develop. That's more valuable to me than rolling over an extra $5 or 6 million to next years cap.

Texans can cut Miller and save over $6m so I think they do make some sense. 3 year deal fits in perfect with Watson's cheap years. Jets are the ones I'd be unsure of right now as they just spent a ton yesterday. Colts really don't make too much sense. Mack might end up being 90% of Bell for 9% of the money. At this point I hope it's true and would be happy. He brings such an upgrade to both the run and pass game and would make everything easier for Allen to develop. That's more valuable to me than rolling over an extra $5 or 6 million to next years cap.

Jets still need a C as well and Paradis is going to cost a fortune.

For what it's worth: could simply mean again that Bell and his agent want the league to know that Buffalo is in consideration because they have money which means the actual competition needs to offer more OR it could legitimately mean he has an offer on the table from Buffalo.

Jets still need a C as well and Paradis is going to cost a fortune.
Former Ravens LB C.J. Mosley plans to sign a five-year, $85 million contract with the Jets, according to ESPN.

For what it's worth: could simply mean again that Bell and his agent want the league to know that Buffalo is in consideration because they have money which means the actual competition needs to offer more OR it could legitimately mean he has an offer on the table from Buffalo.

Sounds like an offer is on the table but like you said no way to know for sure.

Former Ravens LB C.J. Mosley plans to sign a five-year, $85 million contract with the Jets, according to ESPN.

Yup they got Mosley and Barr but feels like they overpaid for both.

Yup they got Mosley and Barr but feels like they overpaid for both.
I think Jets fans have a right to be excited about these two, but it just feels like a weird allocation of resources.

Osemele might return to form as he was meh last year but really good prior. He's making money that better warrant good play. They then brought in an ok slot WR and a depth WR.

So far, I like our Offensive additions more:

C - Morse
C/G - Long
TE - Kroft

vs

G - Osemele
WR - Crowder
WR - Bellamy

Clearly Barr and Moseley are big time defensive additions, and we've only added a depth CB in K. Johnson, but when you draft well, you don't have to throw money around at a couple Linebackers...

Espn agrees with you:

Tuesday, March 12

i

C.J. Mosley, LB, New York Jets

The deal: Five years, $85 million with $51 million in guarantees
Grade: C-

I didn't think Mosley would actually leave Baltimore. The Ravens have lost players they wanted to keep such as Dannell Ellerbe and Kelechi Osemele, but Mosley was the successor to Ray Lewis! He's a 26-year-old linebacker with four Pro Bowl appearances in his first five seasons. Those guys turn into Hall of Famers at a scary pace. Even if you don't think Mosley is necessarily on that track, this is the most damaging free agent the Ravens have lost in a while.

It's an enormous decision from new general manager Eric DeCosta, in his first offseason running things after Ozzie Newsome retired, to drop out of the bidding for Mosley. Good organizations generally set a price tag on players or positions, though, and this is an absolutely astronomical deal for an interior linebacker. We're still waiting on the specifics, but Mosley will have a $17 million average annual salary at a position in which nobody else was even topping $12.5 million before Kwon Alexander hit $13.5 million yesterday.

C.J. Mosley is now the highest-paid middle linebacker in the NFL. Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images
To put this in context, consider that the two biggest signings at inside linebacker during the last free-agent period were Anthony Hitchens and Demario Davis, who left for the Chiefs and Saints, respectively. Mosley is a better player than either, though Davis had a good debut season in New Orleans. Mosley's $17 million average annual salary is equal to what Hitchens ($9 million) and Davis ($8 million) are getting on their respective deals combined.

The third-highest-paid free-agent addition at inside linebacker a year ago was Avery Williamson, which is one of the reasons why I find the fit curious here. The Jets weren't great on defense last season, but they were functional at inside linebacker, where Williamson held up as a solid run defender and former first-round pick Darron Lee finally took a step forward and improved as a cover linebacker and communicator. They then hired defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who has spent most of his career working out of a 4-3 base.

Adding a third inside linebacker who makes record-setting money, then, doesn't really seem to make sense. If the Jets line up in a 4-3, they would have Lee as the weakside linebacker, Mosley in the middle and Williamson in an unfamiliar role as the strongside option in a year where the Jets owe him $6 million guaranteed. Anthony Barr, whom the Jets are signing to an as-yet-undisclosed deal, would then become a 4-3 defensive end. I don't love that fit.

Let's say they stay in the 3-4, where they would run out Mosley and Williamson as inside linebackers and keep Barr in his ideal role as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Now, you're either displacing Jordan Jenkins in one spot with Lee in a new role or giving up on yet another first-round pick, although Lee could have some modest trade value. With $17 million per year, the Jets could theoretically have waited a day or two and added multiple starters to their roster, which is hardly deep with talent. I can understand wanting to add a star like Mosley and figuring out the fit later, but I don't think this is the best use of resources, especially in a year in which the draft holds a ton of front-seven talent.

I would suspect the Ravens will survive losing Mosley, although they'll unquestionably take a hit. They'll likely recoup a third-round compensatory pick for losing the Alabama product, and they could use the money they saved to re-sign both Matt Judon and Patrick Onwuasor, who are free agents next offseason. They've also lost a pair of outside linebackers in Terrell Suggs and Za'Darius Smith to go along with free safety Eric Weddle, and it wouldn't shock me to see them enter into the cut market to go after someone like Justin Houston to help cover some of their losses.

John Brown to the Bills 3 yrs/$27 mil

Josh Allen about to show off that arm alllll year with Foster and Brown on the outside.

Nine mill per seems a little high but I assume its incentive laden.

Ansah visiting the Bills this week, that would be a heck of a pickup.

Beasley 4 years 29 million
John Brown 3 years 27 million
Both to the Bills.
I guess Golden Tate and New England could happen.
Bills overpaid Brown 9 million per year is Humphries money.

Beasley 4 years 29 million
John Brown 3 years 27 million
Both to the Bills.
I guess Golden Tate and New England could happen.
Bills overpaid Brown 9 million per year is Humphries money.

Ya the Brown one is a slight over pay but I think only 11 mill is guaranteed. A bit surprised on Beasley but I will take it.

So clearly Beasley is our slot - Foster/Brown on the outside.

Zay is our #4?

Also, Beane is killing FA

C - Morse
G/C - Long
WR - Brown
Slot - Beasley
TE - Kroft
CB - K. Johnson
RB - Gore

So clearly Beasley is our slot - Foster/Brown on the outside.

Zay does what?...

Also, Beane is killing FA

C - Morse
G/C - Long
WR - Brown
Slot - Beasley
TE - Kroft
CB - K. Johnson
RB - Gore

Agree about Zay, I guess more 4 wide sets? WR by committee versus paying Antonio Brown 30 mill guaranteed.

Like what we have done so far in FA as well. Leveon would have been nice but hard to justify tying that much money up in a RB. Love getting Morse and adding two experienced and still young WR's to the roster. Would love to add Ansah and complete the circle.

So lots of approaches now at #9. Could trade down / BPA / OT. Wonder if they have their eyes on a RB a little later in the draft.

Agree about Zay, I guess more 4 wide sets? WR by committee versus paying Antonio Brown 30 mill guaranteed.

Like what we have done so far in FA as well. Leveon would have been nice but hard to justify tying that much money up in a RB. Love getting Morse and adding two experienced and still young WR's to the roster. Would love to add Ansah and complete the circle.
Can still get Bell if they want.. It would mean moving Shady and cutting Ivory obviously.

So lots of approaches now at #9. Could trade down / BPA / OT. Wonder if they have their eyes on a RB a little later in the draft.

Wouldn't mind trading down and getting some more picks unless a can't miss guy falls in our laps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom