Can we turn this thing around? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we turn this thing around?

I think the follow-up question, and probably the one that should have been asked to start with, is can we turn this thing around in time to be considered a successful season? I'd love some reassurance on that.

The team has its work cut out for it in terms of making the NCAA tournament. However, plenty of opportunities remain on the schedule to bolster the resume.

The players need to tighten up the defense. That is an easier and more controllable problem to solve than the offensive woes. The guards and forwards must work harder to limit dribble penetration. They must keep ball-handlers in front of them. The guys must recognize which opposing players can shoot, and which they should invite to shoot. All five positions need to crash the boards. Defenders must, for the love of all that is holy, stop jumping into and/or running by three-point shooters; close out under control.

Offensively, the players need to move more and move the ball more. Our coaches need to recognize that this collection of players doesn't seem to possess the skills necessary for executing pick-and-roll sets 80% of the time against man-to-man defense. Create more out of sets that encourage movement of the players and the ball. However, I don't expect that we will see much of a tactical change given Coach Boeheim's track record. As such, the offense will likely be inconsistent all season.

Nonetheless, this team can make strides in the next few weeks that could payoff in the long run based on the number of chances they will get to earn impressive wins. Whether or not they can cash in is up to them.

For the people who think Gillon should be banished to the bench, what has Howard done that is so much greater to show he deserves all of the time at the point?

Seems like there is a lot more energy on offense when Gillon is out there and we push the ball more, which would have been nice during UConn.

We are going to need massive improvement across the board. For this to happen we need the following IMO:

I'm looking at Tyler Lydon. Be aggressive. Shoot the ball with confidence. Who cares if you got 5-15 some games, stop turning down open shots to give the ball to someone in a worse situation.

Improved point guard play. Frank Howard needs to be better against good opponents. He's like 5-25 against the 3 best teams we play. That's not going to get it done. He needs to penetrate more and stop settling for jumpers. Get guys like Roberson, Coleman, and Lydon the ball close to the basket so it gets those guys into the flow of the game.

Tyus Battle needs to be aggressive. He's a lot better shooter than I thought, but he hasn't been good at everything else he was advertised as. Go to the basket and be aggressive. Look to get out on the break and attack the rim. Where's the aggressive play everyone spoke of in the preseason?

Roberson needs to start attacking the glass like he did in the tournament. If he doesn't I don't think he's going to play much. We have other guys that can rebound if he's not, but I would like to see him be a contributor again.

I think these are the 4 guys that can step up the most. We are already getting max production from DC and nearly max production from White. I'm not sure what Gillon can do to improve much, as he's a liability on defense, but at least be solid when he spells Howard. Thompson and Chuwku aren't going to be the difference in us turning this around, it's really on the 4 guys listed above.

Of course we can . it's college hoops! plenty of teams are playing borderline meaningless games trying to figure out lineups, get young players acclimated , and finding scorers. lydon does need to wake up. i dont see why many see him leaving for the league after this year. he has plenty of developing to do. if this was college football we would be done but its college hoops. somehow go .500 in conference, get a few key wins along the way , then get hot for 3 weeks in march.

For the people who think Gillon should be banished to the bench, what has Howard done that is so much greater to show he deserves all of the time at the point?

Seems like there is a lot more energy on offense when Gillon is out there and we push the ball more, which would have been nice during UConn.
Touch the rim.

I get your point and I just trying to have a little fun. I think Howard's defense is better. Not light years better, but he's just better equipped and experienced up top.

The team has its work cut out for it in terms of making the NCAA tournament. However, plenty of opportunities remain on the schedule to bolster the resume.

The players need to tighten up the defense. That is an easier and more controllable problem to solve than the offensive woes. The guards and forwards must work harder to limit dribble penetration. They must keep ball-handlers in front of them. The guys must recognize which opposing players can shoot, and which they should invite to shoot. All five positions need to crash the boards. Defenders must, for the love of all that is holy, stop jumping into and/or running by three-point shooters; close out under control.

Offensively, the players need to move more and move the ball more. Our coaches need to recognize that this collection of players doesn't seem to possess the skills necessary for executing pick-and-roll sets 80% of the time against man-to-man defense. Create more out of sets that encourage movement of the players and the ball. However, I don't expect that we will see much of a tactical change given Coach Boeheim's track record. As such, the offense will likely be inconsistent all season.

Nonetheless, this team can make strides in the next few weeks that could payoff in the long run based on the number of chances they will get to earn impressive wins. Whether or not they can cash in is up to them.

Tighten up the defense? seriously ? they lost 52-50 to uconn. shot 26% from the field! the offense has no motion in the half court.

This team will improve as much as Coach gives a . I think he's checked out.

Tighten up the defense? seriously ? they lost 52-50 to uconn. shot 26% from the field! the offense has no motion in the half court.

You are aware that UConn was missing two key players, right? In the two games prior to UConn, SU allowed 77 and 71 points. It may be a good plan to give up less since the offense appears to have trouble scoring consistently.

I still believe in Gillon. Say what you want about his disadvantage on defense but it's the offense that is such a huge issue with this team. He's fast and explosive and can help beat teams down the floor before opposing defenses set up. He's a good, experienced player who's a little shell-shocked right now but he's much better than he's shown the last four games.
Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom