FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

I'm not a bit worried
Not worried about Syracuse, but it's more watching the trainwreck that unfolds, I'd imagine.

As well as seeing that Duke, KU, and UK are as clean as an Irish spring ...

Louisville was on the ticker again tonight. Two other associate coaches on indefinite suspension. When do current players start squirming? No way that roster stays intact through the first semester. There have to be guys seeking transfer options.

Louisville was on the ticker again tonight. Two other associate coaches on indefinite suspension. When do current players start squirming? No way that roster stays intact through the first semester. There have to be guys seeking transfer options.
I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least 1 player looking to get out of Louisville by the end of this season.

Especially if they self-impose post season ban.

As well as seeing that Duke, KU, and UK are as clean as an Irish spring ...

These programs don't need sneaker money, they probably have other funding sources. My point is, not getting caught being stupid doesn't mean they are clean.

There is really nothing we can possibly do at this point with college basketball to get it on the right path. There really isn't. It's completely out of the realm of anyone' s control within the current system and structure. The way I see it, it boils down to a couple of choices...

1. Blow it up, we can't wait any longer. Start from the ground up and at every level - BUILD ACCOUNTABILITY. Things will likely suck for several years as things get sorted out, but it might be worth the wait.

2. Accept the Dirt, don't risk losing what we have. There are things that we know, such as the NCAA and College Basketball are two dirty ass entities. They just are. That said, let's just try to fill the holes as we see them. Every once in a while you have a mess on your hands (i.e. like now) but perhaps it's worth it than potentially losing college basketball (as we know it).

Fortunately, he has all that dough from Arizona to pay his lawyer.
15k? I think he's going to need more then that to pay his lawyer.

There is really nothing we can possibly do at this point with college basketball to get it on the right path. There really isn't. It's completely out of the realm of anyone' s control within the current system and structure. The way I see it, it boils down to a couple of choices...

1. Blow it up, we can't wait any longer. Start from the ground up and at every level - BUILD ACCOUNTABILITY. Things will likely suck for several years as things get sorted out, but it might be worth the wait.

2. Accept the Dirt, don't risk losing what we have. There are things that we know, such as the NCAA and College Basketball are two dirty ass entities. They just are. That said, let's just try to fill the holes as we see them. Every once in a while you have a mess on your hands (i.e. like now) but perhaps it's worth it than potentially losing college basketball (as we know it).
There's actually a very simple way to solve 75% of the ills... copy baseball and tell kids you either go pro out of high school or you stay in school for three years. Vast majority of kids who are getting the bags will go pro where they can get a bag legally. NBA would need to add some rounds to the draft or create a high school supplemental draft like the NFL has for weird college situations.

This won't solve all the problems but it would solve a lot of them.

There's actually a very simple way to solve 75% of the ills... copy baseball and tell kids you either go pro out of high school or you stay in school for three years. Vast majority of kids who are getting the bags will go pro where they can get a bag legally. NBA would need to add some rounds to the draft or create a high school supplemental draft like the NFL has for weird college situations.

I think this is a little confused. (Though I agree that kids should be allowed to go pro.)

There is a ton of money sloshing around college basketball. The value of a recruit to a school and coach is massive, independent of that kids nba value. You can build walls but it isn't surprising that the money will flow around them - it's just took high stakes not to.

Remove the top 10 or 20 kids in each draft and that just makes number 11 or 21 more valuable. The top dozen or so guys were skipping college in the late nineties/early aughts (Carmelo being an obvious and fortuitous exception). I guarantee there were still recruits being paid then.

Force guys to stay three years if they don't go pro out of hs and you've actually made the guys who come in even more valuable.

College baseball isn't really comparable bc there isn't nearly as much money in the college game, and it is more of a real choice bc (1) 18-20 year olds very very rarely contribute in the majors (2) there is a massive minor league system and (3) the value of most individual players is just lower.

Unless and until someone talks the NCAA is not allowed to do anything. They pretty much can count on getting sued by a school they whack if they don't have ironclad proof. "Everyone knows" is not proof.
Well, once the criminal cases are done, they have the FBI investigations.

The NBA has zero reason to do that.

15k? I think he's going to need more then that to pay his lawyer.

As if that's all he has. In all seriousness, his lawyer is probably doing it free or at a reduced rate for the publicity or out of loyalty to an alma mater or agent.

I think this is a little confused. (Though I agree that kids should be allowed to go pro.)

There is a ton of money sloshing around college basketball. The value of a recruit to a school and coach is massive, independent of that kids nba value. You can build walls but it isn't surprising that the money will flow around them - it's just took high stakes not to.

Remove the top 10 or 20 kids in each draft and that just makes number 11 or 21 more valuable. The top dozen or so guys were skipping college in the late nineties/early aughts (Carmelo being an obvious and fortuitous exception). I guarantee there were still recruits being paid then.

Force guys to stay three years if they don't go pro out of hs and you've actually made the guys who come in even more valuable.

College baseball isn't really comparable bc there isn't nearly as much money in the college game, and it is more of a real choice bc (1) 18-20 year olds very very rarely contribute in the majors (2) there is a massive minor league system and (3) the value of most individual players is just lower.

Well said. And common sense.

Many posters repeat the same points ad infinitum. They have trouble grasping what you just explained (or don't want to grasp it).

upload_2017-10-10_20-49-3.gif

This from Dawkins attorney in the article:

Steven A. Haney, the Michigan-based attorney for Dawkins, declined to comment on specific allegations, but said, “I certainly question criminalizing the alleged conduct to the degree contained in the complaint.”

Haney added in a statement: “One should not be prematurely condemned based on speculation, accusations and misinformation. There is a story to tell here and that story is decades long.”

Sounds like his client (Dawkins) is going to blow the lid off of this.

Specifically 40-50 head coaches and associate coaches. That could be ten head coaches or less. Which is still not a small number but is not 40-50 as I originally interpreted from Donnas tweet.

The NCAA will most certainly call these isolated instances of corruption and move on. I can't see them even considering any meaningful reforms.

This from Dawkins attorney in the article:

Steven A. Haney, the Michigan-based attorney for Dawkins, declined to comment on specific allegations, but said, “I certainly question criminalizing the alleged conduct to the degree contained in the complaint.”

Haney added in a statement: “One should not be prematurely condemned based on speculation, accusations and misinformation. There is a story to tell here and that story is decades long.”

Sounds like his client (Dawkins) is going to blow the lid off of this.
I did wonder why earlier this year Caliparis people reached out to the Knicks...seemed random at the time.