Fishing Pics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fishing Pics

Took my year old fly rod to the battenkill after some practice finally. Snapped the tip of the rod on a branch before I ever touched the water. :( Those things are fragile!

Now I'm fully invested with a tricked out new rig and will need to fish a lot to warrant the price. Hehehe.

Does anyone have a lifetime ny license? Wondering if they mail you one each year or is it tied to your drivers license? If it's tied to your drivers license, how does that work if you move?

Took my year old fly rod to the battenkill after some practice finally. Snapped the tip of the rod on a branch before I ever touched the water. :( Those things are fragile!

Now I'm fully invested with a tricked out new rig and will need to fish a lot to warrant the price. Hehehe.

Does anyone have a lifetime ny license? Wondering if they mail you one each year or is it tied to your drivers license? If it's tied to your drivers license, how does that work if you move?
Most fly rod companies will repair or replace for around $50. Curious on what brand that was and what's your new one? Put 900 miles on the trip meter this past weekend, mostly chasing the rare Rio Grande Cutthroat, in the Southwest part of CO. Finally crossed it off the list, got 2. My brother spent this last weekend fishing around the Catskills, Willowemoc, Roscoe.

Most fly rod companies will repair or replace for around $50. Curious on what brand that was and what's your new one

Old was a Fenwick. New is an Orvis rig. Not sure what orvis' rep is these days, but I live near an orvis store and will be fishing mostly near an orvis store, so don't think anything else is worth the hassle. Wrote fenwick about their warranty--we'll see. Maybe I can hand it off to the gf if it gets fixed.

Not a real big fishing guy, although I enjoy it when I get out. Caught this 14 lb chum off Ketchikan.

Carp2.JPG

Old was a Fenwick. New is an Orvis rig. Not sure what orvis' rep is these days, but I live near an orvis store and will be fishing mostly near an orvis store, so don't think anything else is worth the hassle. Wrote fenwick about their warranty--we'll see. Maybe I can hand it off to the gf if it gets fixed.
Orvis rep is as good as it's ever been. I'm sure you'll like it. And I've found, it pays when you have a store near you. I have Eagle Claw/Wright and McGill about 10 min from my house. Took things back there like waders that were worn and had a slight toe defect and my girlfriend broke a rod tip, right after I bought her a new one. They exchanged both, no questions asked. Love that type of customer service.

Coming up to a year fly fishing. Was fun. Didn’t catch very many trout, but we started pretty late in the season (was probably Julyish). Doing much better than my buddy at least. :) But if he doesn’t start catching trout in April, I’m afraid he’ll give up and I’ll need a new fishing buddy. He’s the one with a car, so that’s a problem. Haha.

Places we’ve hit:
NY - Croton Watershed, Ramapo, Beaverkill, Neversink, Esopus, Battenkill
NJ - Pequest, Big Flatbrook, Ken Lockwood

The remoteness of the Neversink made it my favorite. Battenkill was also extremely fun. I didn’t catch anything on the BKill (I think the area I did was too low waterlevels for that time of year), but the chunk I walked (by myself) was like being in Stand By Me.

On “the list” this year:
NY - Willowemac, Ausable, Saranac, Delaware
PA - Don’t know where yet, but sounds promising!
CT - Farmington
MA - Swift

Coming up to a year fly fishing. Was fun. Didn’t catch very many trout, but we started pretty late in the season (was probably Julyish). Doing much better than my buddy at least. :) But if he doesn’t start catching trout in April, I’m afraid he’ll give up and I’ll need a new fishing buddy. He’s the one with a car, so that’s a problem. Haha.

Places we’ve hit:
NY - Croton Watershed, Ramapo, Beaverkill, Neversink, Esopus, Battenkill
NJ - Pequest, Big Flatbrook, Ken Lockwood

The remoteness of the Neversink made it my favorite. Battenkill was also extremely fun. I didn’t catch anything on the BKill (I think the area I did was too low waterlevels for that time of year), but the chunk I walked (by myself) was like being in Stand By Me.

On “the list” this year:
NY - Willowemac, Ausable, Saranac, Delaware
PA - Don’t know where yet, but sounds promising!
CT - Farmington
MA - Swift
Wow, that's an impressive NY list, (I have no clue on those NJ rivers), for your first year. Also you jumped straight into hard rivers to fish as far as degree of difficulty, so don't worry about it when you get skunked. My brother fished a lot of those also this year.

What technique were you using? Dries, streamers or nymphing?

Wow, that's an impressive NY list, (I have no clue on those NJ rivers), for your first year. Also you jumped straight into hard rivers to fish as far as degree of difficulty, so don't worry about it when you get skunked. My brother fished a lot of those also this year.

What technique were you using? Dries, streamers or nymphing?

Yeah, tough rivers, for various different reasons. If I catch something on the BKill the next time I go, I think I’ll officially be out of beginner mode. I was pretty close to landing one that time, and now I have a better idea of which section to hit next.

I think I caught everything on dry caddis or midges. I’m definitely a dry fly kinda fly fisherman. I move around a lot while fishing, so that visual hunting aspect appeals to me. I usually see at least one rise on a trip. I know another guy, who started a little before me. He’s caught way more fish, but never on a dry. Says he’s never even seen a rise before! I know nymphing catches more fish, but still interesting.

The NJ spots were good. Especially Ken Lockwood. Beautiful, like a mini-Neversink. But lots of people since there’s a well maintained path right next to the river. All the NJ spots were on the small side, but NJ stocks in the Fall so a good place to finish out the season.

Nice. Yeah I think if you did a poll, almost everyone would choose to use dries all the time. Nothing like the feeling of seeing a fish rise and take.

Problem is, that's the least amount of days during the year, you can fish that way, of all the techniques. 90% of a trouts diet is subsurface (nymphing). And of course that's the method most fisherman would choose not to do, as far as fun fishing goes, and it's a lot harder to do well.

But that also will net you the biggest fish on the whole. Some of the biggest browns North America has to offer, are the Great Lake tributaries, specifically Lake Ontario tribs. And they can be had on a size 14 copper John.

I have a buddy that fishes the ponds as he plays golf. Catches something every round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom