Frank Anselem: Remember him? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem: Remember him?

I could be completely wrong here, but maybe Frank coming back depends on what Quincy does. I get that they play completely different positions but hear me out...if Quincy comes back, that gives us 4 forwards who all HAVE to play. Tough to divide 80 minutes 4 ways...gotta think that if QG comes back that one of the forwards will see considerable time at the 5 as Marek did even in 2019-20 when Sidibe was healthy. Maybe Frank realizes that and I can’t blame him. Joe, Buddy, and Symir will split the minutes at the guard spot. With QG, Benny, Swider, Jimmy that is 7 guys without even factoring in Edwards or Sidibe (if healthy, which is a long shot). At most JB will play 8. I think if Q goes pro, Frank has a great chance to see the floor especially if Sidibe isn’t healthy. If Q comes back, he’d have to beat out Sidibe and Edwards to see any time at all.

Now that I’ve posted this, Frank will probably announce his intentions immediately and my theory will be meaningless...
No way does JB play a true forward at C if he has centers who can play, and if they’re not all in foul trouble or really stinking things up or hurt.

Is very long and athletic. Could develop into a force. Curious to know how you folks would rank our most athletic centers?

Frank traded his senior year of high school for a development season at Syracuse. My guess is there was an honest conversation that by reclassifying and coming early he probably wouldn't play much in his first season. I am surprised more players (especially bigs) don't try to reclassify and enter college early. As a center, he likely progressed more by being in a high level D1 program on the bench than dominating high school kids for an additional year. Frank knows the system and is aware of his talent level compared to his teammates by practicing against them everyday. He is probably waiting to see if we pull in a '22 Center before making his final decision. I wish him the best and he needs to make the correct decision for his future.

I get that, but honestly we have no idea what was communicated to him in terms of expectations of minutes or usage. That's been my point all along. Your scenario of "hey, come here a year early, don't play, but get better by practicing against D1 athletes" sounds good to me, and maybe that's what he bought into. But that same scenario could easily get interpreted as "hey, come here a year early, don't play, and burn a year of eligibility for no reason."

Hence, I don't see the value in saying "it makes no sense that he would leave." We don't have the information that he has.

Frank traded his senior year of high school for a development season at Syracuse. My guess is there was an honest conversation that by reclassifying and coming early he probably wouldn't play much in his first season. I am surprised more players (especially bigs) don't try to reclassify and enter college early. As a center, he likely progressed more by being in a high level D1 program on the bench than dominating high school kids for an additional year. Frank knows the system and is aware of his talent level compared to his teammates by practicing against them everyday. He is probably waiting to see if we pull in a '22 Center before making his final decision. I wish him the best and he needs to make the correct decision for his future.
Frank spent last year learning the zone. I would say he’s 80% going to stay to honor his tutelage and progress in the strong forward position...where the NBA sees him. That’s my hope, anyway.

I get that, but honestly we have no idea what was communicated to him in terms of expectations of minutes or usage. That's been my point all along. Your scenario of "hey, come here a year early, don't play, but get better by practicing against D1 athletes" sounds good to me, and maybe that's what he bought into. But that same scenario could easily get interpreted as "hey, come here a year early, don't play, and burn a year of eligibility for no reason."

Hence, I don't see the value in saying "it makes no sense that he would leave." We don't have the information that he has.
He didn't burn a year of eligibility.

I agree with you that no one knows what was said prior to him arriving. I don't think burning a year of eligibility is a big deal. Most NBA hopeful prospects don't plan on playing 4 years. He didn't lose the ability to wok on his degree this year and will graduate a year earlier...if that sort of thing is important to him.

Yup. But Again as JB felt the others were not ready. Difficultly to know when you don’t see practices. And Marek was a unique player.
...and don't forget that Sidibe, the returning starting center, got hurt in the first game of the season. Details.

Frank spent last year learning the zone. I would say he’s 80% going to stay to honor his tutelage and progress in the strong forward position...where the NBA sees him. That’s my hope, anyway.

One has to assume Frank came here because he wanted to learn the zone and thinks he will thrive in that system. Whether he plays the 4 or 5 will likely depend on his offensive skill set. I have stopped hoping for kids to stay or leave. Frank should do what is in his best interest. If he leaves, it is an additional scholarship for '22 or '23.

Not sure where this narrative that SU made Frank reclassify came from, but don’t think it’s true.

Frank reclassified first, then we got involved.
You just ruined Tinymaninside's whole anti-Boeheim rant. Just when he thought he caught Jim in another sneaky, double dealing and underhanded treatment of a player, he slips the cuffs and walks, Poor Tinyman.

What I'm not getting is this theme that Frank is probably/maybe wanting to leave cuz of how Boeheim did/didn't treat him, might have misrepresented his chances to play his first year, etc.

Frank was not so heavily recruited that he had any reason to expect to play immediately--an experienced center was already on the roster. So his decision to come play at Syracuse factored in some time developing his game mostly in practice his first year.

And the guy is really new to playing basketball, period, although believed to be smart enough to pick things up quickly (not another Rony Seikaly). Right now, he has no reason to believe he's gonna be able to go to any program of comparable status and start right away, as there will be established players there ahead of him and he'll have to learn a new system all over again.

And you gotta believe he's hearing Allen & Boeheim praise him for the potential he shows and are reassuring him that he'll have a much bigger role to play this year, with the experience he's gained. If he's evaluating his next year future against all options, it would take a major risk to walk away from the opportunities he already sees before him.

He's a good academic student from another country who's been around other African immigrants on the team, some of whom have stayed 4 yrs in the program. I'm having a hard time imagining him to have developed such an ego about himself that he thinks he can just show up at some other school and he'll dominate everyone he goes up against.

His mental state is nowhere close to that of a Kadary Richmond.

That's what I'm seeing...

Frank was not so heavily recruited that he had any reason to expect to play immediately

I know his re-class may have complicated things, but his 2-4-7 profile shows that he had 26 offers, including Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Florida, Oregon, Tennessee, and Arkansas. I think he was also in a top 50 list before he reclassified.

Your overall point may be right, but he didn't exactly have the recruiting profile of a guy that is destined to sit for a year.

Very athletic. Most athletic center we have ever had at Cuse?

Don’t kywho was most athletic but I enjoyed Seikly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom