Geno Gone | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

With the way Frank and Tyus have carried the team, Geno was only looking at 8-10mpg come ACC play. Now it's up to HW to give us a good 8-10mpg as a backup. Assuming no injuries to our guards, I don't see this as necessarily being a bad thing for the program. It'll be good to see what we have in HW as a freshman this year, since he's going to have some stiff competition for playing time next year with Frank, Carey, and Hughes, and potentially Buddy or Tyus depending on if Buddy redshirts or Tyus leaves for the NBA.

It's also good because in the six games we saw from Geno, he seemed to be looking for his own shot a bit too often for my liking. He was shooting 37% FG and 29% 3PT (on 38 FG attempts and 14 3PT attempts) with an A/TO of 0.83. As others have noted, grad transfers may not always have a team-first attitude since they see Syracuse as a stepping stone to a professional career.

I'm confident Geno would have got his shooting percentage numbers up and his A/TO would have gone over 1, but as a player -- especially as a sixth man -- you need to realize when you need to create for yourself and when you need to create for others. I don't think he did particularly well in that regard in his short SU career. I'm hoping HW can come in and know his role. All he needs to do is spell minutes for Frank and Tyus. If he can create for others with minimal turnovers, that would be all I ask of him as a freshman. Knocking down open jumpers would be icing on the cake.

I've read this whole thread and can't believe how polarizing this kid has become. He was here for a minute, got hurt and wasn't able to show off what he could really do. I admit to not seeing much of him, but I saw glimpses during the few minutes he had on the floor against Maryland to know that this is a huge loss for us, this year. I say it like that because of how shallow our talent pool is right now.

I typically look for things that don't show up in the stats to inform me about a player. On one play, Thorpe challenged a pass really well. Didn't tip the ball or steal it, but the passer elevated his pass to account for Thorpe, and ended up tossing the ball out of bounds. He was active on defense trying to challenge passing lanes with hands/arms/feet. It seemed to me that he was getting the zone and his role much more quickly than our rent a players from last year. Yes, it would have been much better had he shown up at the beginning of the summer to really 'get' the zone, but he seemed (again from my limited viewing of him) to be adequate enough for short rests for our two starting guards.

i can't say how damaging this event is cuz i never really got to see geno play. what i do know and what i stated in the "downside" thread post maryland is that we now seem to have a 6 man rotation. and that ain't good news.

(posted 11/28 downside. i get the sense already the rotation is down to 6. chukwu/sidibe splitting time at center and 4 dudes playing 40.)

Last edited:
Definitely a huge loss depth wise, as others have said an injury to our back court and we’re in serious trouble. And losing a 5th year vet is impossible to replace. The biggest dip I feel will be on defense. Even not fully healthy Geno was much quicker than HW, and it seemed HW was having a hard time stopping other guards from splitting the top of the zone via the dribble. Couldn’t really stay in front of them all that well. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on. Where I am excited about HW though, is on the offensive end, where I’m not sure this is much of a downgrade. Both are good shooters, HW might have a tad quicker release, but both are more than adequate. I just get a very strong sense of calmness when HW is handling the ball. He just doesn’t seem to get rattled and really directs traffic very well. He is the first real pure PG we have had since Ennis. It’s obvious as other have said that we’re only going to see him for 8-10 minutes at max, so hopefully he makes the progress that many on this board think he will!

Let’s go Nation!!!

Some of these transfers, not all, are more interested in "showcasing their game" to get a pro contract than in playing within the team concept. Also, a disgruntled grad transfer is NOT what you want for team chemistry. It has been speculated that Frank's funk last year was caused by guys like Gillon (who had what? One good game?) being played ahead of him. I'm fine with Washington now being the 2nd guy. They'll be just fine.

Gillon - for a pretty average overall player - had many good games and had a couple all time great SU performances, played hard, did his best, and appeared to be a good teammate.

Frank had first crack at the job and didn’t get it done. Gillon helped salvage our season from being a complete disaster and helped make us watchable for the last two months of the season.

I still don't think this means Washington gets much play. I think Brissett gets a small handful of guard minutes and Moyer takes his place in the frontcourt.
This.

HW is not going to play. Staff has seen very little that indicates he can. Started practice well but kinda leveled off. He was not going to play a single minute come January of Geno stayed. Yes, Geno was told his minutes might decrease but people are assuming that meant HW minutes. Not necessarily.

Look for OB or even Marek to play up top at times when a guard needs a rest. Just don't see HW playing from what I have heard.

I also said this was a huge loss. I think Thorpe would’ve gotten better as the year went on. This is not minor at all.

Why are some people so sore that I think Howard Washington is a solid player? The staff agrees. He was not playing because JB only rotates 3 guards and Thorpe was a 5th year guy.

And my head is shaved, I’m not bald. :cool:
Iommi... There are probably not many people here closer to JB than me and I can tell you for a fact the staff... or at least JB which is all that matters... does NOT think HW is ready. He did not sit because Geno was a 5th yr guy. It's because Geno is significantly better. As in, not even close.

Staff does feel he can be good down the road for sure and you are correct he is better than they thought. This is a big loss, which u agree. How could anyone not? We are so thin. Should be interesting.

Look for OB or even Marek to play up top at times when a guard needs a rest. Just don't see HW playing from what I have heard.[/QUOTE]

are you saying sidibe and chukwu on the court at the same time ? or moyer getting more minutes ?

Ok if we need him, invite Geno back under this condition:

l4pMorqXfuDK7TrAA.gif

Last edited:
Some of these transfers, not all, are more interested in "showcasing their game" to get a pro contract than in playing within the team concept. Also, a disgruntled grad transfer is NOT what you want for team chemistry. It has been speculated that Frank's funk last year was caused by guys like Gillon (who had what? One good game?) being played ahead of him. I'm fine with Washington now being the 2nd guy. They'll be just fine.
well the grad transfers most certainly carried this program last year. you saw the games right ?

This.

HW is not going to play. Staff has seen very little that indicates he can. Started practice well but kinda leveled off. He was not going to play a single minute come January of Geno stayed. Yes, Geno was told his minutes might decrease but people are assuming that meant HW minutes. Not necessarily.

Look for OB or even Marek to play up top at times when a guard needs a rest. Just don't see HW playing from what I have heard.

Why wouldn't they have redshirted him and burn it in case of emergency? Or they didn't realize this until after the season started?

Iommi... There are probably not many people here closer to JB than me and I can tell you for a fact the staff... or at least JB which is all that matters... does NOT think HW is ready. He did not sit because Geno was a 5th yr guy. It's because Geno is significantly better. As in, not even close.

Staff does feel he can be good down the road for sure and you are correct he is better than they thought. This is a big loss, which u agree. How could anyone not? We are so thin. Should be interesting.

Ok. We will see because FH and TB can’t play 40 every night. Oshae up top would hurt our rebounding. He has the mobility to do it but why? Just why?

Regardless today isn’t going to be a great barometer of our plans.

My money is on Howard Washington playing no more than 3 minutes vs. Kansas, but that he averages 3-6 minutes the rest of the season

Ok. We will see because FH and TB can’t play 40 every night. Oshae up top would hurt our rebounding. He has the mobility to do it but why? Just why?

Regardless today isn’t going to be a great barometer of our plans.

They shouldn’t but Boeheim will do it. He did it with Ennis/Cooney, then publicly said it was a mistake having those two play so many minutes, then did it again with Silent G/Cooney.

Might we have reached a point where there’s no choice but that he plays? I mean sure, in a perfect scenario you have him ride the bench and observe, but we’re kinda in a rough spot right now. Give HW his spot minutes and short of a total face-plant, let him play.

They shouldn’t but Boeheim will do it. He did it with Ennis/Cooney, then publicly said it was a mistake having those two play so many minutes, then did it again with Silent G/Cooney.

It was also a mistake playing mcw and Triche playing that many minutes too. One of these guys foul out or get injured during a tournament or a needed win, we're going to be playing a guy with zero experience.

I'm still grappling with the mindset of leaving at this point in the season. I realize that other people that are "in the know" have heard that Geno was unhappy with playing time. I don't feel the need to trash the guy for leaving, I just don't get how it helps him. The positive side of my nature thinks maybe he was on the fence and there were also some personal situations. Who knows, maybe a girlfriend or something we don't know about. Being unhappy is one thing, but ignoring that you are one injury away from major playing time in the ACC does not seem like graduate student thinking. That seems more like 18-year old logic.

Gillon didn’t have one good game. He had one GREAT game (maybe 2) and a bunch of good ones.

The Rautins family did their best to have a stronghold on that one, but yeah Geno might have them beat.
Hold on. Didn't we have a man bun just a year or two ago? That's a financial and cultural disaster right there.

Maybe it was Texas.

This.

For someone who claims to be really in the know...not sure what to think here, Washington playing and not seeing oshae or marek up top of the zone. Thought there was no way even with geno out that Washington would see minutes? :confused:

An experienced body that was still feeling his way into the program. Y'all forget he was hurt and played hurt? Everyone is an armchair coach on here.

Washington is going to be serviceable we’ll be just fine without Gino and long-term will be a lot better off.

Kansas isn't bothering to guard Washington when he doesn't have the ball. I think that is a problem going forward.

Last edited:
Washington is going to be serviceable we’ll be just fine without Gino and long-term will be a lot better off.

Judging from the offense displayed in the first half, not sure how you are seeing we will be better off. Pretty clear to me this team sorely lacks scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom