Geno Gone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Maybe he didn't want his family to see him sitting on the bench or getting the quick hook against KU Sat. Seems pretty immature and selfish.

You don't quit on JB. He's gone.
We have had two different centers quit and return.

Saw this too. Not a huge loss but hurts the depth. Howie is going to have to be ready to contribute some good minutes.

Nope not a huge loss and with the depth, since Washington is going to be here 4 years, he should get the minutes. Thorpe was a not very good mercenary.

In the minutes I saw, Thorpe's issue is that he's not playing for the little sisters of the poor anymore, this is Syracuse.

Thorpe wasn’t impressive in what little we saw of him. I expected more given his relative success at South Florida. He wasn’t going up unseat Howard as I expected prior to the season. But this is still a big loss even if he wasn’t going to play much. He’s more experienced than Washington and a better defender. We can also kiss the 3-guard offense goodbye. After watching Thorpe, I quickly lost confidence he could be the guy for 30-35 minutes a game if Howard or Battle went down. Now we have to hope Howard and Battle can stay healthy. If one goes down, so goes our season. But that was probably true if Thorpe was still here.

He was coming off and playing with an ankle injury. It was apparent in the pre season and early season games.

He just didn't have the patience being a 5th year guy; understandable.

Nope not a huge loss and with the depth, since Washington is going to be here 4 years, he should get the minutes. Thorpe was a not very good mercenary.

In the minutes I saw, Thorpe's issue is that he's not playing for the little sisters of the poor anymore, this is Syracuse.

I get people are mad that he's suddenly gone, but this is asinine. He was a serviceable point guard while Frank/Tyus needed a blow.

This is a big deal. We have extremely little margin for error in terms of injuries or foul trouble.

This. I'm not sure people realize how much of an impact this is going to make, especially as the season progresses in conference play. He was a bit banged up, but it was clear to me he would be counted on to be a valuable asset to this team and provide scoring.

i was extremely unimpressed with thorpe's game. he was gonna get abused in acc play. got a feeling jb felt the same way since he only played 4 minutes against maryland.

It was a tight game with no room for error and one SU had to win. Moyer rotted on the bench as well. Boeheim knew he couldn't afford to have anyone out there who was still "getting acclimated" to the program.

Does that mean gone for good? or for a brief time? Bleep, we can't afford to lose anyone.

Yea, but I don't think it would have been handled this way if that was a realistic possibility. We'd have gotten "Geno Thorpe will not be at tomorrow's game." "Why not?" "That's an internal team matter." I just don't think they issue a "Geno Thorpe has left the program" statement unless the door's been shut. There's no need to. They easily could have soft-pedaled it. I don't recall there ever being a similar statement during a Paul Harris Thruway jaunt. Elvir's international voyaging was a long time ago, but I also recall that was always presented as tentative and likely to resolve. (Who is the other center?)

I'm completely unsure of this, but I don't see the NCAA giving GT another year anywhere.

So this is the end of his college playing career?

Seems almost like an irrational decision.

This team looks like it might do something this year, and he could have been part of it. Not as big a part as he would have liked. But still a part.

He would still come away with an MS or MA ... or part of one.

So now his academic and basketball career are over because he isn't getting the playing time he thought he would get.

He's one of the few victims of Fank's great improvement. He probably watched last year's SU games and said to himself, "I'm better than that guy."

I suspect some grad transfers might have a lower tolerance for some of JB’s motivation techniques.

Absolutely... By age 21 or 22 you've experienced a bit already (yes I know, so has JB in his time)

I wonder if the bridges are burned so badly that things are irreparable. Maybe in a few weeks after the holidays things could be worked out. If he never returns, there will most likely be a point in this season where we'll say wish we had Geno. More of a chance of saying that then saying wish we had Taurean.
Glad you brought up Thompson. Considering the play of Chukwu and Sidibe so far, TT's a perfect example of addition by subtraction. I can't imagine anyone missing him this season. What he lose in offense we gain in defense and then some. Also better for team chemistry.

Didn't McNeil have family issues back home in addition to being unhappy with his role? Who else are you referring to, Ovcina? Maybe not, since he only missed a game and was basically just homesick.

Howard Washington will give us quality minutes. Once he’s made a part of the rotation, he will be fine.

This hurts our depth. Hurts because Geno was experienced. Hurts in practice because we have don’t even have ten guys to scrimmage.

If only HW was playing more all along like a few people... cough... wanted.

(Also, I wonder if Thorpe’s anger would’ve been smoothed over by Hop. He was the good cop.)

I'm with
Sorry this is just wrong also. Geno is every bit the shooter and that's in college. Pretty stunned even for this board that we r trying to talk ourselves in to this not being a big deal. It's massive.
I'm with you 100 percent on this. No margin for error now. Given some time, Thorpe could have become an important factor off the bench.

What...why can't we have one normal season?

This is normal.

Every school has weird happen, every school has transfers, every school has disciplinary issues. This is just what happens in a game played by teenagers. (And it's always been thus, if perhaps not as well documented as it is today.)

Just as a reality check on this, I think of Syracuse's closest peer programs as being Louisville, Arizona, and UConn. Everyone of them is in the midst of (much) more tumult than Syracuse is right now. Folks only pay attention to the school they follow and don't see the litany of stuff happening elsewhere.

An experienced body that was still feeling his way into the program. Y'all forget he was hurt and played hurt? Everyone is an armchair coach on here.
I don't think the injury excuse works anymore. Like I said earlier in this thread, he must be healthy if he's whining about PT.

This is normal.

Every school has weird happen, every school has transfers, every school has disciplinary issues. This is just what happens in a game played by teenagers. (And it's always been thus, if perhaps not as well documented as it is today.)

Just as a reality check on this, I think of Syracuse's closest peer programs as being Louisville, Arizona, and UConn. Everyone of them is in the midst of (much) more tumult than Syracuse is right now. Folks only pay attention to the school they follow and don't see the litany of stuff happening elsewhere.

Ok but how usual is it for a guy to just up and quit in the middle of the season? Preceded by a guy whose mother forced a transfer? Preceded by one crazy drama after the other practically every year? It's getting pretty freaking tiresome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom