Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

It has to be someone who has had success program building at the P5 level.

My line of work is turning around companies. It’s what I do. And I can’t tell you how valuable it is to recruit people for the team that have similar experience. It isn’t just the experience per se, it’s the mental toughness you need to be able to walk into a situation that’s broken, see the potential, and ride the crazy storm of a turnaround plan.

That’s the type of person we need. Someone who has done it before and has been successful with it, and has had some sustained success at a P5. Someone who prioritizes building a disciplined program with strong line play. A building blocks guy that can surround himself with strong position coaches that are solid recruiters.
Well then, I would make Dan Mullen a top target. Mississippi St all things considered is a very tough place to win at consistently. It is a clear #2 school and football program in a small state. Mullen took over Miss St from Sylvester Croom, whose records were: 3-8, 3-8, 3-9, 8-5, and 4-8. So Mullen took over a moribund program everybody expected to be a loser 3 or 4 of every 5 years. he had a loser in year 1, and then he reeled off 8 consecutive Miss St bowl teams. Mullen coached 7 of those bowl games and won 5 of them. 3 of his Miss St teams finished the year ranked.

Even Mullen's Florida failure is fairly impressive: he coached there 4 years and had 3 teams finish ranked. They played in 3 Major Bowls, winning 2 of them. His bad team was 5-6. It lost by 2 to #1 Bama, and later lost to new #1 UGA.

Well then, I would make Dan Mullen a top target. Mississippi St all things considered is a very tough place to win at consistently. It is a clear #2 school and football program in a small state. Mullen took over Miss St from Sylvester Croom, whose records were: 3-8, 3-8, 3-9, 8-5, and 4-8. So Mullen took over a moribund program everybody expected to be a loser 3 or 4 of every 5 years. he had a loser in year 1, and then he reeled off 8 consecutive Miss St bowl teams. Mullen coached 7 of those bowl games and won 5 of them. 3 of his Miss St teams finished the year ranked.

Even Mullen's Florida failure is fairly impressive: he coached there 4 years and had 3 teams finish ranked. They played in 3 Major Bowls, winning 2 of them. His bad team was 5-6. It lost by 2 to #1 Bama, and later lost to new #1 UGA.
He's a legit P5 coach, he's also New Hampsha mafia, which gives him even more street cred.

Maybe out of left field but Barry Odom? Had modest success at Missouri. Excellent DC and turned around UNLV (a putrid program) in his first season.

Yeah we’ve discussed him in depth. He’s my #1 candidate but I suspect we’re too cheap as per usual.

IMG_4217.jpeg

The Scott shafer playbook.

Wildhack would show zero courage w that pick. It would be on brand as he kept hoops in family (smartly because of the success), he kept lax in house and will want someone he’s comfortable w in house for football

Football needs completely new set of eyes

If Mullin comes hope he has energy to rebuild

If it’s someone else I want no Syracuse pedigree at this point unless Marrone came in w ideas from his 09-12 era which seemed to work longer he went on

The Scott shafer playbook.

Wildhack would show zero courage w that pick. It would be on brand as he kept hoops in family (smartly because of the success), he kept lax in house and will want someone he’s comfortable w in house for football

Football needs completely new set of eyes

If Mullin comes hope he has energy to rebuild

If it’s someone else I want no Syracuse pedigree at this point unless Marrone came in w ideas from his 09-12 era which seemed to work longer he went on
The flip side, I think coming into the Syracuse job eyes wide open and understanding the limitations of the program might be a positive. A year with Rhule who is a proven program builder would be a positive as well. I am kind of with you in a certain respect but I can see the reasoning if White were under consideration.

Like I said, I am for taking a huge swing and going with REAL upside high ceiling type.

The flip side, I think coming into the Syracuse job eyes wide open and understanding the limitations of the program might be a positive. A year with Rhule who is a proven program builder would be a positive as well. I am kind of with you in a certain respect but I can see the reasoning if White were under consideration.

Like I said, I am for taking a huge swing and going with REAL upside high ceiling type.

With a guy who’s never been a hc.

I think white is a flight risk quicker than any of the candidates. He already left for a d coordinator job elsewhere. He didn’t even get a promotion.

I’m a huge pass on the Dino tree. Not sure why anyone wants that. Not even sure it’s sellable to the fans too.

Coach P, hologram/AI DeleonE, Rippon and Kevin Rodgers.

Syracuse can become the first school w AI Designed Cheesecake Factory sized playbook.

I think white is a flight risk quicker than any of the candidates. He already left for a d coordinator job elsewhere. He didn’t even get a promotion.

I’m a huge pass on the Dino tree. Not sure why anyone wants that. Not even sure it’s sellable to the fans too.
While I totally agree I'm not excited about White or anyone on the Dino tree, he did get a promotion by getting named associate head coach at Neb in addition to DC. Plus Syracuse to Nebraska in college football kind of speaks for itself as much as I love SU.

While I totally agree I'm not excited about White or anyone on the Dino tree, he did get a promotion by getting named associate head coach at Neb in addition to DC. Plus Syracuse to Nebraska in college football kind of speaks for itself as much as I love SU.
Syracuse would have provided that non promotion. It was money which is a no brainer

Just saying he’s a 3 season guy at best or worst. He leaves in 3 for better which is good or isn’t hc material and gone in 3

I’d rather a guy w no affiliation to what we have now is mediocrity, downshifted expectations and worse irrelevance

The AD is a huge White fan. I agree with your sentiment here. Doesn’t create any buzz whatso ever.

I was just foolin. I love that comment from him as it shows just how Bat Sh... crazy he actually is. Auburn is perfect for him.

The AD is a huge White fan. I agree with your sentiment here. Doesn’t create any buzz whatso ever.
Wildhack doesn't have the hoops advantage of a fan base that isn't beat down like football. Hoops, continuity wise, made sense because there was never a complete brand destruction. SU Hoops still matters right now.

Football needs a rebranding. That comes with a new HC with new plan of attack. A barnstormer mentality to get fans interested again, get recruits interested more importantly and a degree of success.

I don't really consider him on the Dino tree anymore than I would the Herm Edwards tree. Matt Rhule hired him so that speaks highly for his potential. All coaches are flight risks, not worried about that. He didn't get a promotion? was he associate head coach here as well? Can't remember but I don't think he was. He probably got a 50-60% pay hike to go to Nebraska and to work under a coach who is PROVEN program builder. There is value there too. Not saying there isn't some concerns but there are positives to look at as well.

I think coaches who understand Syracuse and the landscape here are ahead of the game so I see the logic, who knows if he would even be interested in coming back or if he feels he can be successful here, not sure? But nobody really is

I just looked at the MAC to see who throws the ball as a starting point

The most prolific passing offense in the MAC is 80th nationally across all conferences

BARF

go find a nobody from connecticut state or something

new hampshire head coach is young, was a good qb, throws a lot

that is the extent of my research and my likelihood of being right is just as good or bad as a highly paid supercommittee's wild a$$ guesses

I just looked at the MAC to see who throws the ball as a starting point

The most prolific passing offense in the MAC is 80th nationally across all conferences

BARF

go find a nobody from connecticut state or something

new hampshire head coach is young, was a good qb, throws a lot

that is the extent of my research and my likelihood of being right is just as good or bad as a highly paid supercommittee's wild a$$ guesses

I think you would like the Delaware HC.

I would say he's more on the Rocky Long coaching tree than Dino as he started the first 10 years of his coaching career under Long at New Mexico and SDSU, but I get what you're saying. Doesn't move the needle much for me either. If I had to guess the 2 coaches that Bulldog was referring to, I'd say White and Lewis. Autry wasn't in my top 10 to take over the basketball program, but he certainly has me excited for the season now. Maybe White could do the same.

White wouldn't be my top choice, but I can be convinced. He's a good recruiter. Could keep the 3-3-5, which has been overall successful here, learned from Matt Rhule-Who has had success at multiple places. I would still prefer someone w/ sustained HC success ala Mullen, Clawson, Calhoun (Troy, not Jim), Fritz etc.

White wouldn't be my top choice, but I can be convinced. He's a good recruiter. Could keep the 3-3-5, which has been overall successful here, learned from Matt Rhule-Who has had success at multiple places. I would still prefer someone w/ sustained HC success ala Mullen, Clawson, Calhoun (Troy, not Jim), Fritz etc.
Exactly how I feel. I'd much prefer a head coach who has built a program.

I know Iv been pounding the Dan Mullen wagon since the teams implosion after a 6-0 start last year. If we don’t get him though, I am all on the Bob Chesney train.

You need a guy that has head coaching experience and has built programs up from nothing. If you’re not willing to throw money at Mullen for his offense and staff (addazio) then you mind as well go cheap and hire someone with extreme potential. Yes you may miss, but look where we are currently. Is a 3-4 year tryout for a guy that has done excellent in building programs in the North East such a terrible choice? We can’t get much worse than where we are right now. I highly doubt a 3 year try out is going to make it any worse. The guy could be the next tresses or lance leopold. Build the program from the bottom. Give it a strong base. Not just another assistant coach that will peace out at the first sign of success. Let’s build this thing from the bottom up. I truly believe he is a guy that would do that. Maybe he does leave in a couple years. But build that base that will set us up for future success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom