Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

How about Will Stein, Oregon's offensive coordinator?

- Former Louisville QB
- Co-offensive coordinator for UTSA in 2022. 12th ranked offense in the nation there which is impressive. They've taken a huge step back this year without him
- Current Oregon OC. #2 ranked offense in the nation
- 34 years old

If we're going the route of potential good upcoming coaches I think he should get a look. He has a good track record so far of having explosive offenses
This is the kind of thinking SU needs…

If you said cignetti laughed that’s a different story. He’ll never win anything at JMU so assuming the money is right you can get in the playoff at Syracuse.
I don’t know. He might actually have a better chance at making the playoff as a G5 qualifier at JMU than he’d ever have here.

Basically G5 is a 60-ish team conference for expanded playoff purposes. I could see JMU winning that someday.

Are we really aspiring to hire a coach who went 36-38 at UVa (or if you ignore his first year record of 2-10: 34-28)? And who finished his UVa HC stint with 5-5 and 6-6 seasons?
To be fair he left right after the 2021 season and the 2 crazy Covid years. The 5-5 year in 2020 UVA fans were banned from attending, only played ACC teams and in 2021 they lost their qb Brennan Armstrong in mid season from injury. They were still bowl eligible both years. His overall head coaching record is 135-81 and 36-38 at UVA and was bowl eligible 5 of his 6 years there (missing it his first year the 2-10 one) . Doubt he’d be a candidate anyways, he turned down UCLA while at BYU before accepting the UVA job. He was only 55 when he left UVA 2 years ago which in itself brings up questions why. Maybe he’s not crazy about the new transfer/NIL rules, it’s a new college sports world now.

Fire Dino today and make Mullen an offer tomorrow. If he refuses move to Sean Lewis. He is about to get a HC somewhere.
Mullen doesn’t like recruiting. Was one of the reasons Florida fired him. We need the hire to be opposite of that. I’m obviously Doug Marrone or bust, but assuming he doesn’t come back i would go right after Garret Riley. Just judging by pedigree he will be good and we would finally see what the Dome was made for… an air raid offense.

Another name that interests me is Ja’Juan Seiders. Ties to Fla and the NE and known as a great recruiter.

Otherwise Tom Herman should be the first call.

Fire Dino today and make Mullen an offer tomorrow. If he refuses move to Sean Lewis. He is about to get a HC somewhere.
Not if you read articles why he was removed as play caller for Colorado. Not a good look.

- Former Louisville QB
- Co-offensive coordinator for UTSA in 2022. 12th ranked offense in the nation there which is impressive. They've taken a huge step back this year without him
- 34 years old

If we're going the route of potential good upcoming coaches I think he should get a look. He has a good track record so far of having explosive offenses
Oregon gets some of the best athletes in the country. How would he do with below average players? He’s not going to get Oregon’s athletes at Syracuse. SU better find someone who can out scheme people because they won’t have better players. Anae was good with this. Beck has no clue.

Coach Mark DeLeon deserves a look to serve as next head coach of the Syracuse University football team.

Mark has extensive and impressive NFL and P5 college coaching experience serving with some of the best football minds there are.

Mark is a Syracuse guy. His Dad was first assistant during the successful Pasqualoni years. He is young. He is aggressive. Mark is a passionate SU fan; he bleeds SU Orange, No one would out work Coach DeLeone.

Below is Coach DeLeone’s bio.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer told Dino not to take this job because it’s a place that you cannot win at. If Mullen is still close with Urban, he’ll probably receive the same recommendation.
Good thing he didnt tell Dan not to take the Mississippi gig

Mullen doesn’t like recruiting. Was one of the reasons Florida fired him. We need the hire to be opposite of that. I’m obviously Doug Marrone or bust, but assuming he doesn’t come back i would go right after Garret Riley. Just judging by pedigree he will be good and we would finally see what the Dome was made for… an air raid offense.

Another name that interests me is Ja’Juan Seiders. Ties to Fla and the NE and known as a great recruiter.

Otherwise Tom Herman should be the first call.
I've been thinking about Tom Herman to. Did a great job at UH and probably feels he should have stayed there and not taken the UT job, although he did get a nice salary bump. I wonder where all his ties are too.

I've been thinking about Tom Herman to. Did a great job at UH and probably feels he should have stayed there and not taken the UT job, although he did get a nice salary bump. I wonder where all his ties are too.

Coach Herman’s contract with Florida Atlantic Runs through 2027. It is said to have a $2.5 Million buyout.

SU has a reputation for not paying the highest salaries for its coaches. Would SU pay a $2,500,000 buyout? I doubt it.

Would Herman leave FAU for SU when at FAU he is likely able to move them to the top of the AAC and become eligible for a high paying P5 position?

Below are details regarding Herman’s FAU contract:

Last edited:
Lol Mullen…why not Steve Spurrier?

Coach Mark DeLeon deserves a look to serve as next head coach of the Syracuse University football team.

Mark has extensive and impressive NFL and P5 college coaching experience serving with some of the best football minds there are.

Mark is a Syracuse guy. His Dad was first assistant during the successful Pasqualoni years. He is young. He is aggressive. Mark is a passionate SU fan; he bleeds SU Orange, No one would out work Coach DeLeone.

It would be ironic to say the least

Great first post Mark!!!

Urban Meyer told Dino not to take this job because it’s a place that you cannot win at. If Mullen is still close with Urban, he’ll probably receive the same recommendation.
See people don’t see opportunity. If u wanted to be a head coach and u came here and pulled off a total reversal and we started winning, u would be revered here. Mac did it. We can win here. It won’t be easy. If it’s Tony White, he has to let the former players come in and get tight with the current players. We have nfl pedigre.

- Former Louisville QB
- 34 years old

Fun fact, Will Stein is also the grandson of political commentator and former host of Win Ben Stein's Money, Ben Stein.

I actually just made that up, but it would be cool, right?

Willie Fritz seems like a name that should be brought up more the guy is winning and winning big at TULANE, he has ties all over the country, he is loved in the New Orleans area, beats USC in a bowl and their Heisman trophy winning QB plays in the game, they had Ole Miss on the ropes this year who is in the top10, and most likely with Air force losing yesterday will have Tulane in another New Years six Bowl, if it was a 12 team playoff year, Tulane would probably make it. This would be the Home Run hire.

Fun fact, Will Stein is also the grandson of political commentator and former host of Win Ben Stein's Money, Ben Stein.

I actually just made that up, but it would be cool, right?

False. He is, however, the grandson of Rudi Stein, relief pitcher/backup OF for the Bears, runners up of the Southern California Little League.

Last edited:
Willie Fritz seems like a name that should be brought up more the guy is winning and winning big at TULANE,……
Unlikely.

Coach Fritz is 63 years old so he is I likely to want to move to Syracuse to start a total rebuild. In addition Tulane redid Fritz’s contract to keep him from leaving for the Georgia Tech job so it is likely it has a buyout in it. My quick google search contained quotes where he said it is his intention to conclude his career at Tulane.

Given the fact that Syracuse is unlikely to break the bank to pay a new high powered football coach then it should look to hire a young energetic workaholic with passion for Syracuse University. I mention Mark DeLeone as a serious candidate.

Unlikely.

Coach Fritz is 63 years old so he is I likely to want to move to Syracuse to start a total rebuild. In addition Tulane redid Fritz’s contract to keep him from leaving for the Georgia Tech job so it is likely it has a buyout in it. My quick google search contained quotes where he said it is his intention to conclude his career at Tulane.

Given the fact that Syracuse is unlikely to break the bank to pay a new high powered football coach then it should look to hire a young energetic workaholic with passion for Syracuse University. I mention Mark DeLeone as a serious candidate.

If we hired someone who was a defensive analyst, we would be laughed at and the dome would be empty.

Miami and Toledo look like they are on a collision course for the MAC CG. Winner should get an interview.

Ok here you go everyone. Have at it. Here’s your list right now. And again this is not an opinion. These are the 2 names on it. It will continue to grow.

Tony White
Jim Knowles

Knowles getting huge support from some prominent former players. I don’t see it. But there ya go

Ok here you go everyone. Have at it. Here’s your list right now. And again this is not an opinion. These are the 2 names on it. It will continue to grow.

Tony White
Jim Knowles

Knowles getting huge support from some prominent former players. I don’t see it. But there ya go
Who?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom