Hip Hop thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

mike-hopkins-b9e2b994ac96be5c.jpg

This was probably my fav performance at an award show that I ever caught while actually watching an awards show...mostly for spaz:

It always amused me that as soon as Lil Wayne was invited on stage he came up to dance when Spaz started (Spaz kicks off about 2 minutes deep)...they had to drag Swizz up

(I feel like when it was on BET they didn't edit out the cussssss words)

It's also a bit dated now..., nevertheless, the video quality is OUTSTANDING! lol

This was probably my fav performance at an award show that I ever caught while actually watching an awards show...mostly for spaz:

It always amused me that as soon as Lil Wayne was invited on stage he came up to dance when Spaz started (Spaz kicks off about 2 minutes deep)...they had to drag Swizz up

(I feel like when it was on BET they didn't edit out the cussssss words)

It's also a bit dated now..., nevertheless, the video quality is OUTSTANDING! lol
Ha, I’ve never seen that in my life. I hated that Common song and album so much at the time, lmao. Not at all what I wanted to hear from him.

Ha, I’ve never seen that in my life. I hated that Common song and album so much at the time, lmao. Not at all what I wanted to hear from him.

Yeah - he likely should have just asked Pharrell to guest-appear on some NERD stuff...lol

I feel like that was the weird time when everyone was having Pharrell/Neptunes seemingly produce EVERYTHING that hit the top 100

Yeah - he likely should have just asked Pharrell to guest-appear on some NERD stuff...lol

I feel like that was the weird time when everyone was having Pharrell/Neptunes seemingly produce EVERYTHING that hit the top 100

Oddly I loved the Common/Neptunes borderline slow jam “Come Close” in 02, though that album was “eh” to me too.

Resurrection, One Day It’ll All Make Sense, Like Water for Chocolate, and Be are all so good that I’ve never really gotten into any other Common album. It’s like, why should I listen to this, when he’s got those 4 better(and all very different) albums? Fair? Not necessarily. But it’s how I’ve been with him for awhile.

Nevertheless, my Com/Neptunes jam:

Oddly I loved the Common/Neptunes borderline slow jam “Come Close” in 02, though that album was “eh” to me too.

Resurrection, One Day It’ll All Make Sense, Like Water for Chocolate, and Be are all so good that I’ve never really gotten into any other Common album. It’s like, why should I listen to this, when he’s got those 4 better(and all very different) albums? Fair? Not necessarily. But it’s how I’ve been with him for awhile.

Nevertheless, my Com/Neptunes jam:

All those are fantastic - although I never listened to 'One Day It'll All Make Sense' that much in its entirety. Although 'Retrospect 4 Life' always came to mind when that one Eminem song came out. Lyrically seemed similar at points.

I can't hate on him for doing UMC though - it just seemed overproduced for his poetic kinda style.

I still love Pharrell though, even though I was a tad sick of him appearing in every video at some point during that span. I found his "Before I was Famous' MTV bit hilarious. I forget a lot of it, but I think he was the one that kept talking about getting fired by various McDs because he always stole food - "pocket nuggets."

He would just put the nuggets in his pocket and eat them. Gross af, but made me laugh.

Seems like something Redman would do - and he wouldn't even need to be working at McDs. Just cuz.

All those are fantastic - although I never listened to 'One Day It'll All Make Sense' that much in its entirety. Although 'Retrospect 4 Life' always came to mind when that one Eminem song came out. Lyrically seemed similar at points.

I can't hate on him for doing UMC though - it just seemed overproduced for his poetic kinda style.

I still love Pharrell though, even though I was a tad sick of him appearing in every video at some point during that span. I found his "Before I was Famous' MTV bit hilarious. I forget a lot of it, but I think he was the one that kept talking about getting fired by various McDs because he always stole food - "pocket nuggets."

He would just put the nuggets in his pocket and eat them. Gross af, but made me laugh.

Seems like something Redman would do - and he wouldn't even need to be working at McDs. Just cuz.
Retrospect 4 Life was gut wrenching. Still…one of those songs that the “feeling” I had when I first heard it is still there. Such a sad one. Invocation and Food for Funk are two of my favorites on there.

Pharrell/Neptunes was always hit and miss at the same time for me. I loved some of their big songs and disliked others….in the same era. Like, I’d hear one of their songs on the radio and turn it up, and then another would come on and I’d change the station. They owned that era commercially, for sure though.

$5 gas and poverty rates are rising much higher than your hourly rates. So if you thinking bout quitting, you should probably wait, ‘cause everybody gotta do a f’in job that they hate.

$5 gas and poverty rates are rising much higher than your hourly rates. So if you thinking bout quitting, you should probably wait, ‘cause everybody gotta do a f’in job that they hate.

That is a good one

The opening few tracks to that album were ridiculous. Still remember buying the CD at the Sangertown Mall in Utica, and just blasting this one in the parking lot as I was leaving:

Any mention of Sangertown Mall gets a “Like” from me.

Hot Take (& potential thread derailment): The old Flaming Wok in Sangertown was the best Chinese food in the Mohawk Valley. I used to go to the food court just to pick it up to bring home. Currently, Peking Tokyo in NYM is my go-to but the new Wukong Restaurant in the old Uncles Tavern on Main St. NYM is giving them a run for their money. Slightly better quality with slightly lower prices, great staff & extremely clean. I’m a big Sushi fan & Lotus Garden on Genesee St. behind The Stanley is my go-to for eating out/dates but Wukong & Peking are good & closer to Whitesboro if I’m picking up.

Last edited:
Any mention of Sangertown Mall gets a “Like” from me.

Hot Take (& potential thread derailment): The old Flaming Wok in Sangertown was the best Chinese food in the Mohawk Valley. I used to go to the food court just to pick it up to bring home. Currently, Peking Tokyo in NYM is my go-to but the new Wukong Restaurant in the old Uncles Tavern on Main St. NYM is giving them a run for their money. Slightly better quality with slightly lower prices, great staff & extremely clean. I’m a big Sushi fan & Lotus Garden on Genesee St. behind The Stanley is my go-to for eating out/dates but Wukong & Peking are good & closer to Whitesboro if I’m picking up.
Flaming Wok isn’t there anymore? That’s a bummer. That was a staple!

Is either of those NYM places next to a laundromat, near Hapanowicz(sp?)?

Flaming Wok isn’t there anymore? That’s a bummer. That was a staple!

Is either of those NYM places next to a laundromat, near Hapanowicz(sp?)?
Peking Tokyo is next to the laundromat across from Hapanowicz. Wukong is on Main St. down from The Roselawn on the opposite side.

Peking Tokyo is next to the laundromat across from Hapanowicz. Wukong is on Main St. down from The Roselawn on the opposite side.
Ok, I’ve been to Peking before but it was a long time ago.

Benny the Butcher - Tana Talk 4 coming at Midnight tonight!

I’ll be sound asleep but can’t wait to listen tomorrow. Tana Talk 3 is one of the best rap albums of the last 5 years IMO.

All ALC and Daringer beats! That’s what I like to see! That’s the classic Griselda sound. And a Stove God feature!!

When some of these people were interesting...

Never got into them, but I think “The Internet” is an offshoot of them?

I love “The Internet” - Ego Death. Great album.

Not normally into posthumous albums, but given that we got so little material from him his last 15 years or so, and seeing who is on the beats and who the guests are….I’m excited for this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom