Hip Hop thread | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Man I really tried to get into Snowfall and just couldn’t. The acting and writing just didn’t do it for me. I mean when you watch The Wire, and others, the bar is high. Maybe I should’ve pushed through further. Any of you guys watch all or multiple seasons?
I’ve watched it all, and am all in for the final season which is coming up soon.

It’s definitely not The Wire level, I agree.

It got extremely ridiculous a few times, and definitely almost lost me a few times. It’s not as good as I wanted to be, but ultimately I still find it entertaining and I respect the “CIA brought crack into the American cities” angle being talked about. Took a certain level of guts to do that IMO.

Skyzoo just put out an album “The Mind of a Saint” based on the show “Snowfall”, from the perspective of the main character Franklin.

But he’s so good that you don’t even have to have watched the show to enjoy the album - it could be taken as just typical Skyzoo character based storytelling. But if you’ve seen the show….man, this album is amazing. He’s such an incredible writer.

This is a really interesting clip of him telling how the inspiration for the album came about. Great story.

Nice story! Snowfall is my jam!! Oso!!

Almost 30 years(!) later, this still goes.
I think of anyone from the old school, his music is the most relevant to what's happening now. I mean going all the way back to, By All Means Necessary (especially Illegal Business) all the way forward, it's kind of shocking really. I told my brother to start all over from BAMN and go in chronological order. He was like, I can't even believe it. Kids can still get an education from the T'cha!

I think of anyone from the old school, his music is the most relevant to what's happening now. I mean going all the way back to, By All Means Necessary (especially Illegal Business) all the way forward, it's kind of shocking really. I told my brother to start all over from BAMN and go in chronological order. He was like, I can't even believe it. Kids can still get an education from the T'cha!
KRS is my original GOAT... BDP is my all time favorite hip hop group.

The other night I was playing his old LPs, just always appreciated his style, delivery and lyrics. He's the hip hop oracle. Me and my two best friends were leaving Central Tech HS going back to our HS (Corcoran) and I remember Criminal Minded came on in his hatchback Horizon with 15" speakers/amp and I remember our dumb arses stopping the car in the middle of South Ave and b-boying around the car feeling that aggravated BASS!

I watched the vs with him and Kane (who also has a special place to me) and it reminded me of how KRS has touched so much for decades...

Only people from Texas that I like are Jeremy McNeil, Jesse Armstead, Scarface, and UGK. Pimp and Bun both went nuts on this one.

This one will forever be tied to walking up to the Dome in freezing temperatures with heavy coat, hood up over the hat, and timbs, to watch Melo, Edelin, Warrick, etc. in winter of 02-03 to me. One of the best songs ever tied to some of my best memories ever.

The beat and all 3 verses are perfect to me. Freeway rapped like his life depended on it, Jay rapped the best he ever did after being absurdly rich(bullets breeze by you (bayou) like Louisiana man….bang like T-Mac, ski-mask, air it out, gotta kill witnesses ‘cause Free’ beard’s sticking out…smh!!!!), and then Beans came with the ultra relatable closer verse as only he could. One of the best beats ever and an incredible video with The Wire cast right as that show was taking off? And…the CUSE won it all that year??? So perfect.

Last edited:
This one will forever be tied to walking up to the Dome in feeezing temperatures with heavy coat, hood, and timbs, to watch Melo, Edelin, Warrick, etc. in winter of 02-03 to me. One of the best songs ever tied to some of my best memories ever.

The beat and all 3 verses are perfect to me. Freeway rapped like his life depended on it, Jay rapped the best he ever did after being absurdly rich(bullets breeze by you (bayou) like Louisiana man….bang like T-Mac, ski-mask, sir it out, gotta kill witnesses ‘cause Free’ beard’s sticking out…smh!!!!), and then Beans came with the ultra relatable closer verse as only he could. One of the best beats ever and an incredible video with The Wire cast right as it was taking off? And…the CUSE won it all that year??? So perfect.

Great song. Love me some Freeway.

Great song. Love me some Freeway.
His first album, Philadelphia Freeway was so good. “All My Life” with Nate Dogg, Alright, Hear the Song…lots of strong songs on there.

Really liked his later career “Stimulus Package” album too.

His first album, Philadelphia Freeway was so good. “All My Life” with Nate Dogg, Alright, Hear the Song…lots of strong songs on there.

Really liked his later career “Stimulus Package” album too.

Flipside had such a great beat. It can still get me going today.

Been taking a long overdue deep dive into Three 6 Mafia after the tragic death of Gangsta Boo. Man there is just banger after banger, almost especially in the deeper cuts. Along with the incredible Gangsta Boo verses (just the perfect hip hop voice) it really demonstrates how elite and before his time DJ Paul was.

Land of the Lost

Speaking of Freeway, he’s on Oddisee’s new album.

My January albums I liked:

Oddisee - To What End
Reuben Vincent - Love Is War
Skyzoo - The Mind of a Saint(already posted about)

Now a track from each that I love:

Also, less than 3 weeks until I see Nas at Madison Square Garden! Haven’t been this pumped to go to an event since…Cuse-Miami football in ‘96?

Also, less than 3 weeks until I see Nas at Madison Square Garden! Haven’t been this pumped to go to an event since…Cuse-Miami football in ‘96?

I may have mentioned this already in this thread somewhere, but I saw Nas at the Onondaga County War Memorial back in like 2001 or 2002. One of the best shows I've ever been to. No opener. Came on stage, basically did his entire catalog for 60-70 mins. Encore of One Mic. Dropped the mic and left.

I didn’t really like “DAMN” as much as Kendrick’s previous 3 albums, but it was more some of the beats.

This one here though…love the beat and the story. Kendrick at his best, IMO.

Damnit, I really hope this isn’t true. I know he’s been battling health issues. And their music from their Tommy Boy days is just about to finally about to hit streaming in March.

I forgot all about 'The Knux' - stumbled on them while going through De La Soul playlists on Spotify...like totally forgot they ever existed.

Damnit, I really hope this isn’t true. I know he’s been battling health issues. And their music from their Tommy Boy days is just about to finally about to hit streaming in March.

Sad af :(
Legends.

Sad af :(
Legends.
Yeah, and it really is hard to believe with their big date just weeks away where they were really about to be celebrated.

Major bummer that Phife and Dave are both gone. Hip hop would not be nearly the same without the Native Tongues.

Was lucky enough to see De La on tour with LL, Public Enemy, and Ice Cube in 2013. So glad I bit the bullet and went for the expensive Nas tickets at MSG in a couple weeks too. Gotta see the legends when I have the chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom