Hip Hop thread | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Yeah, and it really is hard to believe with their big date just weeks away where they were really about to be celebrated.

Major bummer that Phife and Dave are both gone. Hip hop would not be nearly the same without the Native Tongues.

Was lucky enough to see De La on tour with LL, Public Enemy, and Ice Cube in 2013. So glad I bit the bullet and went for the expensive Nas tickets at MSG in a couple weeks too. Gotta see the legends when I have the chance.

Pretty cool experience - the Nas show going to be incredible :)

Pretty cool experience - the Nas show going to be incredible :)
Man! I’m typically more of a small venue, underground hip hop guy when it comes to show preferences, but Nas at the Garden is the ultimate arena show I can think of, for me at least.

And on the former, I’m seeing Little Brother with Skyzoo, and Kooley High opening in March in Brooklyn. Some of my favorites, in a smaller venue with a bar. Definitely more my speed. Both shows should be a lot of fun.

LB and Skyzoo did a song together way back before Skyzoo had an album out. First time I heard him rap.

Last edited:
Nas did a bunch of songs from KD, KD 2, and KD 3 for the first hour. Show was advertised as “Kings Disease Trilogy”, and while it was good - it would’ve been underwhelming if that was it. But then an outfit change and a few minute break, and he comes back and goes into NY State of Mind.

Did most of Illmatic, and then some of his singles and better album cuts from his other albums between 94-02(The Message and it surprised me that he did Get Down).

AZ came out for Life’s a Bitch, Slick Rick came out and did “Hey Young World”, Mary J Blige came out for “Reminisce/You Remind Me”.

Bucket list show, for sure.

Also, I bought a t-shirt for $20 outside MSG from a bootlegger, even though I knew it wasn’t “legit”. They were selling some “one night only shirts” inside for $50. But I’d already bought the overpriced ticket - I felt better about supporting the enterprising business woman standing outside in the freezing cold hawking those things.

Also one of the coolest moments that I forgot to mention that thankfully somebody recorded was Nas suddenly going into a Dave from De La Soul tribute.

Man, if that didn’t cross w my current trip, that’s a fly out for me…hopefully that happens again or something equivalent
It was great. Nas and Wu-Tang did a bunch of shows last summer that seemed to do really well too - so hopefully he’ll keep going. He did a great job performing - he did the second verse of Memory Lane with no beat and nailed it. Crazy how he’s basically no different than he was 20 years ago as a rapper.

Edit: found it. Camera work might make you dizzy though.

Last edited:
Watched a lot of this guy’s upload - he captured a lot of it. Definitely gives you the feel like you’re there.

Edit: I skipped to the concert earlier - just watched the beginning and saw he bought the same bootleg shirt I did lmao. I love it.

Last edited:
I was never much of a Wayne fan or a Swizz Beats fan, but this is pretty good to me.

Glad Wayne is actually rapping over a beat that sounds like a rap beat should sound. Seems like the kind of guy who might trend hop and be out here at 40 sing songing it up over some generic trap beats that sound like all the rest of those trap beats from the last 8 years, so I’m relieved he’s not doing that.

I was never much of a Wayne fan or a Swizz Beats fan, but this is pretty good to me.

Glad Wayne is actually rapping over a beat that sounds like a rap beat should sound. Seems like the kind of guy who might trend hop and be out here at 40 sing songing it up over some generic trap beats that sound like all the rest of those trap beats from the last 8 years, so I’m relieved he’s not doing that.

I go back and forth on him, but overall I throw in the great category, but much, much, much, much more spotty than most greats are - but his wordplay when he's on is pretty insane.

I watched some of the Nas vids.....so good. I get mad every time that dude films the crowd and holds it for about 49 seconds. I don't want to see your friend! :)

I go back and forth on him, but overall I throw in the great category, but much, much, much, much more spotty than most greats are - but his wordplay when he's on is pretty insane.

I watched some of the Nas vids...so good. I get mad every time that dude films the crowd and holds it for about 49 seconds. I don't want to see your friend! :)
Ha. I didn’t record many of my own, but doesn’t look like I can post videos here from my phone anyway? Only photos?

See I kind of liked how he was capturing the people’s reactions, though he did stay too long sometimes.

Guy in front of me performed every song he did from the King’s Disease albums word for word with the energy of a 1992 Busta Rhymes. It blew my mind that he knew all those new songs like that!

Ha. I didn’t record many of my own, but doesn’t look like I can post videos here from my phone anyway? Only photos?

FACT.

When I had that convoy I created a stupid Vimeo account just to post some vids...

FACT.

When I had that convoy I created a stupid Vimeo account just to post some vids...
Man, maybe I’ll try something like that. I got a couple good ones and was right in front of the stage. And the guy in front of me…his energy needs to be felt. His arms and hands ruined half my videos/photos but I didn’t even care. I appreciated that he was just in the moment enjoying the concert. I mostly was too, but had to capture a few things.

Tangent, but I just Googled Swiss Beatz randomly and he's NOT from Eritrea! His Father is.

I always argue with a Jamaican friend at work that's half-Eritrean that Eritrea is the worst, cuz they always say the US is the worst (and that's my joking counter-argument). But, they always claim Swiss Beatz is from there as some sort of looney-toons defense. But it's a LIE! He's from the Bronx!!!!!

Man, maybe I’ll try something like that. I got a couple good ones and was right in front of the stage. And the guy in front of me…his energy needs to be felt. His arms and hands ruined half my videos/photos but I didn’t even care. I appreciated that he was just in the moment enjoying the concert. I mostly was too, but had to capture a few things.

Do it! I mean, people caught randomly on video are awesome - or people going bananas generally. If you're filming your friend for 27 seconds straight rapping along with Nas I might make a little fun :)

That'd be cool though if you could post them. You were that close????

Tangent, but I just Googled Swiss Beatz randomly and he's NOT from Eritrea! His Father is.

I always argue with a Jamaican friend at work that's half-Eritrean that Eritrea is the worst, cuz they always say the US is the worst (and that's my joking counter-argument). But, they always claim Swiss Beatz is from there as some sort of looney-toons defense. But it's a LIE! He's from the Bronx!!!!!

I just assumed he was from NY because all the NY rappers worked with him in like 98-99.

Speaking of which - before the show, DJ Green Lantern played something from like all the mid-late 90s NY rappers to get the crowd going. Biggie, Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Foxy, Capone N Noreaga, Big Pun, Fat Joe, Tribe, The Lox….basically everybody except Jay-Z. Lol.

Do it! I mean, people caught randomly on video are awesome - or people going bananas generally. If you're filming your friend for 27 seconds straight rapping along with Nas I might make a little fun :)

That'd be cool though if you could post them. You were that close????
Not super close, but close enough….I was in the risers - behind the floor seats, but in front of the regular arena seats, but directly in front of the stage, angle wise. Actually the sound guys and all their equipment were right next to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom