Hip Hop thread | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

RIP to the one and only Ahmad Jamal. He will always have a place in hip hop history thanks to this song, among others. IT'S YOURS!

Who dis?

1683081232234.png

Larry June is my new guy for the summer. Gets great production and raps about positive stuff like doing burpees, sea moss, and 401k’s and stuff. His new album with Alchemist got me into him, and he’s got a ton of stuff from the last few years that I went back and listened to and liked a lot.

Q-Tip is producing LL Cool J’s new album, and this snippet has me excited for it.

I saw Nas at MSG a few months ago….now looking at seeing LL with The Roots backing him, at Barclays.

I’ve seen LL before and he’s a great performer and obviously has a deep catalogue. Never seen The Roots despite being a big fan, and they’ve long been touted as an incredible live show.

This seems like a can’t miss?

I saw Nas at MSG a few months ago….now looking at seeing LL with The Roots backing him, at Barclays.

I’ve seen LL before and he’s a great performer and obviously has a deep catalogue. Never seen The Roots despite being a big fan, and they’ve long been touted as an incredible live show.

This seems like a can’t miss?
According to my musically gifted cousin, the Roots are amazing to go see live because of their talent with all the instruments. Would like to see them too. I'm not so sure about LL nowadays? I'll have to give the new Qtip produced album a listen

According to my musically gifted cousin, the Roots are amazing to go see live because of their talent with all the instruments. Would like to see them too. I'm not so sure about LL nowadays? I'll have to give the new Qtip produced album a listen

I saw LL in 2013 and he put on a good show - and was smart enough to stick to all 80s-90s material.

I’m sure he’ll want to do songs off the new album too, this time - in that case, I hope it’s good! Would imagine it’s got to come out soon.

All of the tour dates have guests advertised (Rakim, De La Soul, Salt N Pepa, Bone Thugs, etc)….except for Brooklyn and Newark. For those 2 dates it just says “special guests”. Makes me wonder if Q-Tip/remaining members of Tribe will appear? Nas is supposed to be on the new album too, can’t help but wonder if he’ll be there? In both cases, Queens connection and involved with the new album, and the show is right next door to Queens, in Brooklyn? Just some hopeful guessing. Q-Tip and The Roots have worked together and have a relationship too.

Also, I’m seeing Rakim, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, Big Boi, and Rick Ross advertised for the Denver date. I don’t care much about Ross, but that could be a fun lineup.

Also, I’m seeing Rakim, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, Big Boi, and Rick Ross advertised for the Denver date. I don’t care much about Ross, but that could be a fun lineup.
This will be in Ball arena (formerly Pepsi center) huge venue obviously. Yeah, I saw Slick Rick on the lineup and was having flashback nightmares of how terrible he was here a few years ago. A few years before that when it was still Pepsi center, my friend who books a lot of the hip hop shows here, got Slick Rick so screwed up before he went on, that it was said he ruined the show he was so terrible. They even talked about it on the radio and I'm like, I know whose responsible for that lol. So drunk or not drunk, I think Slick is washed, but we'll see.

I've seen Rakim twice in the last 8 years or so in real small venues so it was that much better (would never mind seeing him as much as possible). I don't like Rick Ross at all because 1, he stole his name from the real Freeway Rick, and 2, he was a CO, but now raps like he never was. Would love to see Dougie, Big Boi I'm pretty neutral on. All that said, I'll be calling to see if I can sit and drink beers backstage. Don't know if I'd sit in some far row in there to see these guys. Now I'd look at it totally different for a large venue, if it was Nas or Rakim or many other NY'ers at Barclays or MSG if that makes sense.

This will be in Ball arena (formerly Pepsi center) huge venue obviously. Yeah, I saw Slick Rick on the lineup and was having flashback nightmares of how terrible he was here a few years ago. A few years before that when it was still Pepsi center, my friend who books a lot of the hip hop shows here, got Slick Rick so screwed up before he went on, that it was said he ruined the show he was so terrible. They even talked about it on the radio and I'm like, I know whose responsible for that lol. So drunk or not drunk, I think Slick is washed, but we'll see.

I've seen Rakim twice in the last 8 years or so in real small venues so it was that much better (would never mind seeing him as much as possible). I don't like Rick Ross at all because 1, he stole his name from the real Freeway Rick, and 2, he was a CO, but now raps like he never was. Would love to see Dougie, Big Boi I'm pretty neutral on. All that said, I'll be calling to see if I can sit and drink beers backstage. Don't know if I'd sit in some far row in there to see these guys. Now I'd look at it totally different for a large venue, if it was Nas or Rakim or many other NY'ers at Barclays or MSG if that makes sense.
Damn, hate to hear that about Slick Rick.

I have to say, he also sounded bad when he popped up at MSG for Nas’s concert and did a bit of “Hey Young World”.

Honestly, I just assumed something was off with his mic or with what he could hear or something, but now with you saying that, there’s gotta be something to it.

Also, AZ destroyed Life’s a Bitch and Mary J Blige sounded good doing “You Remind Me” too, so Rick was the outlier.

Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully he practices a lot, he’s got a fair amount of dates on this tour.

I agree with you on Ross.

I do think The Roots will largely carry things, and I think/hope LL still has it.

The man who made “Death Certificate” being as stupid, uninformed, and washed as he now is…. is kinda heartbreaking to be honest.

Man, I forgot about this one...so good

I put it in both song threads. It deserves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom