Hopkins Game Thread... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Game Thread...

Watching the 2008 NCAA tribute video was a good reminder that Cuse used to have the best players. Watching the Albany/Maryland game was a good reminder that Cuse doesn't have the best players.

No one said they had the best team in 2007!!! It shows how quickly things can change!

A few observations

Mellen is playing very well and is one of the best defenders in the country.
Cunningham get little praise but is a real rock for us at the moment.
DiPietro played well when put in very aggressive.
Varello is not doing a bad job at Faceoff but is not picking the ball up or getting help from wings I agree with Desko that the ball seemed to fall to the Jays on many occasions.
Trimbo is playing well.
Dearth needs a break out game
Quinn needs to be on second line and needs time to get into playing at this level.
Why is Curry playing attack?
Seebold needs more mins
Durdovic needs to be on man up.
Losing Bomber on D has been a real loss he’s our enforcer.
Shooting an issue hitting too many pipes and not using enough disguise and correct shot selection.
Attack is struggling a little and not riding hard enough

Hop exposed our SSDMs, we all knew this position would consist of players who are young and inexperienced!

My outlook has not changed it’s still a work in progress and this young team is learning valuable lessons! We need to keep
Making changes to find the right mix.

Last edited:
A few observations

Mellen is playing very well and is one of the best defenders in the country.
Cunningham get little praise but is a real rock for us at the moment.
DiPietro played well when put in very aggressive.
Varello is not doing a bad job at /O but is not picking the ball up or getting help from wings I agree with Desko that the ball seemed to fall to the Jays on many occasions.
Trimbo is playing well.
Dearth needs a break out game
Quinn needs to be on second line and needs time to get into playing at this level.
Why is Curry playing attack?
Seebold needs more mins
Durdovic needs to be on man up.
Losing Bomber on D has been a real loss he’s our enforcer.
Shooting an issue hitting too many pipes and not using enough disguise and correct shot selection.
Attack is struggling a little and not riding hard enough

Hop exposed our SSDMs, we all knew this position would consist of players who are young and inexperienced!

My outlook has not changed it’s still a work in progress and this young team is learning valuable lessons! We need to keep
Making changes to find the right mix.

Glad I missed the game due to other commitments. I will try to watch the replay later this week.

Hard to down on you g team with injuries. JH is no sloutch and they took advantage of the situation. I think our kids learn a lesson or two and improve weekly.

The team is in a rebuild and with the young getting so much experience with some hot recruits, next season should be a lot of fun.

This team will make the playoffs. It may not be pretty, but they will make it, in spite of the schedule. Just an opinion.

A few thoughts. All be fine in long run despite recent beatdown. Curry playing some attack because Solomon out. Think Curry and Lipka have the right qualities to be good attackman and capable of playing either offensive position . Two more bright youngsters to look forward to watching for years. Missed Solomon dearly including on rides. His feistiness is viewed differently by different people but I had little problem with his collision at UVA , looking forward to his return and hope he doesnt lose his aggression. Winaskause departure hurt but unpreventable due to home sickness, not easily comparable to other youngsters. Looking at it now, JHU tendencies and strengths matched up well.. CD's all very good on ball but slides including backslides lacking at times. Dearth is a fine mid and moved well Saturday but recall him playing well at ssdm last year and he may be missed in that role, maybe DiPietro given shortie. Coach D was right about Varello competing .Liked Swas physicality but fogo playhad been helped by our double poling, suggest placing Kennedy back on wing. His speed obvious , perhaps more needed at lsm when Bomberry returns . JHU goalie played well but we hit several pipes early, not sure that needs to be corrected . I think Dordevic, Dearth, and a few others released howitzers that missed by fractions. Hard to say with final score being what is was but might have been a slightly different game if we had pulled ahead. We seemed to lose steam after several pipes and JHU saves. As Powell remarked he'd much rather see a pipe than a shot to goalie. Couldnt slow mo but brother adamant Kenndy hit top of netting as well as part of middle of pipe causing ricochet down n should have been a goal. Is that true if part of any netting hit? Still saw hustle and heart if not head by many .Trimboli criticized heavily here for shot selection for a few weeks, kid gracefully acknowledged and made the necessary adjustments from up top, that lefty rip of his dodging from side is a beauty. JHU must have watched a lot of tape ..Surprised that no one has mentioned that Dordevic was long poled and Bomberry was covered by short stick.. Dordevic had another good game coming close several times, gonna be a star if not already. JHU also planned to cut off Madonnas long passes and limit our breaks. Thought Dom played well despite any stats and D was good for stretches but eventually the dam breaks given too much time defending. Do think team is work in progress and we will still more positive signs from more kids as season progresses, certainly capable of beating or losing to Rutgers. Damn schedule just dont let up . Came in managing expectations because of that and knew sentiment on team, players and staff would fluctuate from week by week. This was hopefully one of the valleys and team gets up and climbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom