Hopkins Game Thread... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Game Thread...

Both but some is coaching to. We run the worst man up in the history of man up and have for years.

Well, I think that Desko suffers from some of the same problems that JB does with coaching offense. I don’t think he’s very good at coaching 6 on 6 on offense. And when the talent slips there, he doesn’t have the answers. Just my opinion.

My main question is whether Desko is getting outworked on the recruiting trail.

I am nothing close to an expert on Lax.
I will say I have been a supporter of Desko because the sport isn’t a revenue generator and has had us competitive pretty much every year.

If the people here say we need change then I will support it.
However I think Desko knows what he is doing and the talent just isn’t the same anymore.

I’ll let Jeremy answer that. Seems that recruiting fell off for a few years, as evidenced by the transfers we brought in to fill some gaps. We could have used a few good transfers on attack this year.

But it seems as though recruiting has picked up in the last year or so. But we won’t see evidence of that until likely next year or the following year.

Will people be willing to wait for that while we endure more days like today?

Not sure. But you can bet significant alums are whispering about this program behind the scenes.

Both but some is coaching to. We run the worst man up in the history of man up and have for years.

Last years was pretty good but your right about this years, looks slow and it overly talented

They weren't ready to play today and were dominated by a Hopkins team that'll probably sneak into the tournament again just above .500.

I don't know if its Desko or Donahue that makes the ultimate decisions on face offs but riding one guy just isn't getting it done. Why not rotate guys, especially when it's apparent one guy is struggling. Varello had major issues today, both in communication with wings and just plain finding the ball.

Offense came to a grinding halt today. Looks like they have a tough time dealing with physical defenses. Albany was in their face and Hopkins was today as well. Shot placement still continues to haunt some guys. While it means little, that last shot looked like it rang off inside the lower 90 and should have been a goal but maybe that's karma for the missed Virginia goal last week.

We run the worst man up in the history of man up and have for years.
If you have the right personal, then it works. They've been right around 50% the past couple years but today without the right guys out there it leads to a lot of standing and passing.

Defense has definitely missed that big bruising body that can absorb hits and make some of its own in Bomberry. Guys need to get a little more aggressive, I liked it last week against Virginia and it seemed to throw them off a bit. But again there appears to just be a lack of communication on the defensive side of the field, and has been for some time now.

Yes and no. For SUs Sr and Jr classes 100% yes. The classes from an offe sive standpoint have been huge disappointments. Last years, this year and next year are all top 10 classes and more in SUs wheelhouse but there young amd need help at attack which is coming next year in Cook, Berkman, and with any luck Staats. Still, SU has been keeping up using transfers and guys playing over there skis, offense is not Syracuse level right now and Deskos refusal to play Seebold and Quinn is shades of Wisnauskas

Bottom line, folks. This is not Syracuse lacrosse. It’s going to take a big change to get the program back to where it’s countending for National titles again.

Varello 9-22
DeLisle 1-5
Martin 0-1

Delisle has been a massive disappointment. Wing play without Fernandez was horrific, we really miss him. We need someone to step up there.

Last years was pretty good but your right about this years, looks slow and it overly talented

Man up is fundamental and in its most basic form, bc you have 1 xtra man you need to move the ball through the air quickly, drawing and dumping, to create a shooting alley or an open guy on the crease.

We carry the ball so much with our feet I don’t know what the intent is. And what is the deal with throwing it back to the guy who just threw it to you??? That does not get the defense moving. You need to get the ball moving around the horn quickly, whether in a 3/3 or 2/3/1.

There are only one or two man up plays in the whole world that require moving the ball with your feet. One is the basic wheel which is a common man up play. I dont know what the heck were trying to do half the time.

There were times today we had two guys below gle, like some variant of a 2/2/2. We are purposely taking two men out of being any scoring threat ???

Carrying the ball with our feet, two guys below gle, passing it back and forth up top... none of it makes any sense, it’s a complete cluster.

I’d have to go back and watch last year but I’ll bet the ball moved through the air more and got the defense moving.

Man up is fundamental and in its most basic form, bc you have 1 xtra man you need to move the ball through the air quickly, drawing and dumping, to create a shooting alley or an open guy on the crease.

We carry the ball so much with our feet I don’t know what the intent is. And what is the deal with throwing it back to the guy who just threw it to you??? That does not get the defense moving. You need to get the ball moving around the horn quickly, whether in a 3/3 or 2/3/1.

There are only one or two man up plays in the whole world that require moving the ball with your feet. One is the basic wheel which is a common man up play. I dont know what the heck were trying to do half the time.

There were times today we had two guys below gle, like some variant of a 2/2/2. We are purposely taking two men out of being any scoring threat ???

Carrying the ball with our feet, two guys below gle, passing it back and forth up top... none of it makes any sense, it’s a complete cluster.

I’d have to go back and watch last year but I’ll bet the ball moved through the air more and got the defense moving.

This is spot on unfortunately

If you have the right personal, then it works. They've been right around 50% the past couple years but today without the right guys out there it leads to a lot of standing and passing.

The standing and passing part is coaching.

Lane needs to be removed from the man up. He brings nothing. He’s in there for his shot, but he can’t even find room to shoot.

So if Desko retired would his replacement be enteral?
Or would be another HC?

I do think Desko would retire if the heat got too strong.

Or would be another HC?

Desko isn’t retiring.

And I don’t see anyone in the program replacing him. It would probably be a staff overhaul.

Or would be another HC?

Galloway is an interesting option, but I think he needs 1-2 more years experience.

What are we going to talk about next week after we beat Rutgers?

I was encouraged by the Army comeback and Virginia win. But regardless of what they do against Rutgers, this team — and program — has some serious issues. They aren’t close to anything resembling a Final 4 team. They’ve been outscored in 2 of their 3 home games 33-10. That’s a sign of a program with a huge problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom