If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from?

I said it in the game thread last night - I'm done listening to the "Battle is 100% gone" nonsense. He's not even the best player on one of the worst Syracuse teams JB has ever fielded, but he's going to the NBA after this year? Ok...

If he really leaves after this season, then he's either delusional or he has some really bad advice being spewed into his head. He's absolutely not one of the 60 best prospects both in college or internationally. Especially in this year's draft. It's just nonsense.

Howard/Carey/Washington
Battle/Hughes/Carey
Brissett/Hughes/Battle/Bazley
bazley/Brissett/Moyer/Marek
Chukwu/Sidibe/Marek

Marek can move up or down depending on his offseason.
If for some reason Battle returns, you have an 8-man rotation there with Hughes, Carey and Sid off the bench. Buddy (not listed), Moyer, Marek and HW would probably not get much run, though I don't know how the Buddy dynamic will be.

If Battle leaves, I'm not sure that helps Moyer/Marek all that much. It gives more minutes to Hughes and Carey, and possibly allows Buddy to get minutes if ready.

If for some reason Battle returns, you have an 8-man rotation there with Hughes, Carey and Sid off the bench. Buddy (not listed), Moyer, Marek and HW would probably not get much run, though I don't know how the Buddy dynamic will be.

If Battle leaves, I'm not sure that helps Moyer/Marek all that much. It gives more minutes to Hughes and Carey, and possibly allows Buddy to get minutes if ready.
Im assuming Buddy redshirts. Moyer will have had two years to figure it out and make strides, he could challenge for minutes at the 4. I think with this lineup, Marek’s the odd man out that needs to make significant strides in the off season.

Washington can redshirt or get minutes here and there.

There will be plenty of minutes because when Battle is playing or shooting poorly Boehiem can actually grab someone off the bench and give him a blow instead of turning to his bench to put osmeone in only to realize he has no one which has happened about 30 times this year already (no joke).

Im assuming Buddy redshirts. Moyer will have had two years to figure it out and make strides, he could challenge for minutes at the 4. I think with this lineup, Marek’s the odd man out that needs to make significant strides in the off season.

I don't think Buddy will redshirt. He will probably be our best shooter.

He very well may be, but fitting into the zone and adjusting to ACC speed is incredibly dificult as a true freshmen. Maybe his shooting could justify what could be a defensive liability his first year. Or who knows he could kick butt

I am hoping for Buddy to be Andy Rautins 2.0.
I would RS him next year let him practice and get the speed of high D1 ball down and by his 5th year have a 2010 Andy Rautins season.

Hughes will take minutes from the 2G spot and SF spot when Baz needs a breather. The rotation will be 8 strong.

Howard- 34 mins
Battle- 36 mins
Brissett- 35 mins
Baz- 35 mins
CDB- 32 mins

Chukwu- 6 mins
Carey- 10 mins
Hughes- 8 mins

Moyer-don't care
marek-don't care
Washington-don't care
boeheim-don't care

CDB is starter from day one.

I said it in the game thread last night - I'm done listening to the "Battle is 100% gone" nonsense. He's not even the best player on one of the worst Syracuse teams JB has ever fielded, but he's going to the NBA after this year? Ok...

If he really leaves after this season, then he's either delusional or he has some really bad advice being spewed into his head. He's absolutely not one of the 60 best prospects both in college or internationally. Especially in this year's draft. It's just nonsense.

agreed. people need to remember that players leave college when their stock is the highest, not if they are ready. battle hasn't reached the point where he is first round material. the only reason he goes this year is because he hates school

I'd have to believe Brissett and Bazley will be so much more important to the team that JB will play them 35 minutes a game. We'll need offense and unless MM adds some moves or a jumper this summer, I'm not sure how many minutes he'll be in line to get. Same w/Marek.

HW should redshirt, especially if Buddy plays at all.

Hughes much more suited to play some minutes at 3 than Tyus is. Can actually see him betting some minutes at the expense of Battle and Oshae. Going to be interesting to see where Moyer and Dolezaj get minutes though with Bazley playing 35+ at the 4. And most feel Buddy will have a significant role next year too.

Lots of bad rotation problems this year.
Lots of good rotation problems next year if everyone is back
JB has said Buddy may redshirt, and I think that would make sense since the backcourt will be crowded.

Wes Johnson had been a good player at Iowa State, which is clearly a step up in class compared to East Carolina. Hughes is more of an athlete than a basketball player, IMO. I'm really getting tired of having a team full of guys who can't shoot the ball.

I only have early warmups to go by but Hughes is the best shooter on the team.

I think Buddy redshirts for sure. Just my opinion. Next year will be interesting. Battle isn't coming back but if you forced me to entertain that I guess we would have a 3 guard rotation of FH, Battle and Carey with HW being the 4th guy again. Then you would have OB, Bazely and Hughes or Marek at the forwards with Chukwu and Sidibe at the 5. I don't think MM plays a lot and I think either Hughes or Marek carves out the 3rd forward minutes. Just my opinion. This is a make believe scenario because Battle is leaving and Hughes will be up top splitting minutes with Carey and FH with HW being the 4th guard. This will leave Marek as our 3rd forward with MM pushing him.

Also, would anyone really be surprised if Marek leaves? I like a lot about his game, but if his minutes don't improve he could have trouble finding PT next year - it'll be between him and Moyer.

As far as Battle and evening OB declaring - nothing about the past decade for us has indicated that someone will come back to 'Cuse if it's 50/50. We've been burned often.

if the deadline was today, I'd say Tyus is gone and OB comes back. But 2 months is a lot of time and a lot can happen. Thankfully, we are more well equipped to deal with sudden declares better than the past IMO. Even in a worst case scenario where Marek, OB and Battle leave, we can still start Howard/Carey/Moyer/Bazley/PC with Eli as the super sub; then Sidibe, HoWash and Buddy. We might still need 1 more player in that situation obviously, but that's more manageable.

Also, would anyone really be surprised if Marek leaves? I like a lot about his game, but if his minutes don't improve he could have trouble finding PT next year - it'll be between him and Moyer.

As far as Battle and evening OB declaring - nothing about the past decade for us has indicated that someone will come back to 'Cuse if it's 50/50. We've been burned often.

if the deadline was today, I'd say Tyus is gone and OB comes back. But 2 months is a lot of time and a lot can happen. Thankfully, we are more well equipped to deal with sudden declares better than the past IMO. Even in a worst case scenario where Marek, OB and Battle leave, we can still start Howard/Carey/Moyer/Bazley/PC with Eli as the super sub; then Sidibe, HoWash and Buddy. We might still need 1 more player in that situation obviously, but that's more manageable.

That’s another mid tier team at best if that happens. The roster turnover has to stop at some point. If it doesn’t I don’t get why JB stuck around.

I think Buddy redshirts for sure. Just my opinion. Next year will be interesting. Battle isn't coming back but if you forced me to entertain that I guess we would have a 3 guard rotation of FH, Battle and Carey with HW being the 4th guy again. Then you would have OB, Bazely and Hughes or Marek at the forwards with Chukwu and Sidibe at the 5. I don't think MM plays a lot and I think either Hughes or Marek carves out the 3rd forward minutes. Just my opinion. This is a make believe scenario because Battle is leaving and Hughes will be up top splitting minutes with Carey and FH with HW being the 4th guard. This will leave Marek as our 3rd forward with MM pushing him.
Buddy will not redshirt next year. He will still be our best shoooter and if he redshirts that means another year added to JB’s career. He already said he won’t leave if Buddy has eligibility left.

If Marek leaves that would be dumb.I literally see no reason why we took him if that’s the case. I’m tired of roster turnover. We need to develop some solid four year players if we ever are going to be good again. If it’s new guys every year get used to the mediocrity. The roster planning has been terrible lately. I personally think we need to recruit one to 2 more players for next year, but I doubt we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom