Im glad that TC is such a good D player | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Im glad that TC is such a good D player

If you want to know if teams paid Cooney special attention I would ask how many times Cooney's defender helped off of him to double or help on a driver?

16 times!

:)

Sometimes the outlier needs to get gone...
This is the part I don't get. Why does it need to get gone? It's pretty obvious to me what we're getting from TC without ignoring his occasional gaudy outing. Just as it's obvious that your running back is getting stuffed most of the time.

The Waters example I quoted above is just plain absurd. If you take away Cooney and then take away Buss's best, whoa, we really suck. Ok. Thanks for that insight Mike.

cooney drew one 1 player tops in man to man coverage. what do you want me to say?

ok.here it is. nobody is afraid of him. truth.

Here is what I know is goin to happen this year.

If Trevor shoots well and we win, he was supposed to do that. If he shoots poorly and we lose, this board is going to kill him. All I want to know is what's going to happen when he shoots well and we lose.

I mean this in the most respectful manner possible, but if that's your observation yoy're either not paying close enogh attention or have questionable hoops acumen.

my questionable hoops acumen?

you must be watchin' the games on fuzz box !

If you want to know if teams paid Cooney special attention I would ask how many times Cooney's defender helped off of him to double or help on a driver?

Exactly my brother. How is it that no one else is getting this (except of course the ones who actually do like RF)?

Cooney could have stood at the half court line and his man would have been right on him. No one else drew that kind of attention. Which means that guy never ever ever ever helps even if he's the last line of defense to the bucket. Because they are more afraid of a 3-point shot from him than a 2 pointer from someone else.

Exactly my brother. How is it that no one else is getting this (except of course the ones who actually do like RF)?

Cooney could have stood at the half court line and his man would have been right on him. No one else drew that kind of attention. Which means that guy never ever ever ever helps even if he's the last line of defense to the bucket. Because they are more afraid of a 3-point shot from him than a 2 pointer from someone else.

But... but... he didn't get double teamed!!!

Kidding. Sort of.

You and Jordoo are of course 100% correct.

skurey said:
Quit the emotional appeal while ignoring actual data points it's ridiculous. Also want Bees to quit spouting bullcrap then slanking away.

Two comments here.

One, what bullcrap and what "slanking" away?

Two, you might want to change your attitude with some of your posts. And I'm not just talking about this one directed at me.

Two comments here.

One, what bullcrap and what "slanking" away?

Two, you might want to change your attitude with some of your posts. And I'm not just talking about this one directed at me.

I'm talking about you making ridiculous claims like Cooney will be our leading scorer. This is why people freak out because "respected" posters spout this nonsense and when the players don't deliver you guys make a million excuses.

I'm talking about you making ridiculous claims like Cooney will be our leading scorer. This is why people freak out because "respected" posters spout this nonsense and when the players don't deliver you guys make a million excuses.

He was the team's third leading scorer last year, genius. Both guys ahead of him are gone, as is the team's fourth leading scorer from last year.

It isn't "nonsense" to suggest that he might lead the team in scoring. I don't happen to agree with that prediction, but it sure isn't a "ridiculous claim."

But don't let the facts get in the way of your dopey agenda tirade.

So we can only use stats from last year when they help your argument? Got it.

Everybody gets their own prediction. Mine is Carmelo.

And who is freaking out? Besides you, I mean...

Freaking out as in the negative reaction towards Cooney's game.

So we can only use stats from last year when they help your argument? Got it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own set of facts.

Edit: and feel free to use last year's stats. When you strip away the bias, you'll see they support what I've been saying throughout this thread: that Cooney is a streaky shooting role player who isn't the deadeye marksman that many believe, that he isn't nearly as bad as some suggest, and that in the main he's a better three point shooter than many seem to claim.

Numbers mean things.

skurey said:

Lol. It's my prediction. Same as 9-10 others in the prediction thread. Real ridiculous. You make a post like you did because of a prediction? Go look at my other predictions, maybe they're nonsense too.

Freaking out as in the negative reaction towards Cooney's game.
So, you bash Bees for "making ridiculous claims like Cooney will be our leading scorer", yet you call the people who have a negative reaction about Cooney's game 'freaking out"? Straddle the fence much?

It's just weird that we (RF) seem to have a similar opinion on him yet you defend him against the people correctly pointing out he's not that great. He's not a D2 player obviously but being the 3rd leading scorer on a team that absolutely sucked at offense, having his 3pt% fall off a cliff when we got to conference play, and now starting off terribly this season doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence.

So, you bash Bees for "making ridiculous claims like Cooney will be our leading scorer", yet you call the people who have a negative reaction about Cooney's game 'freaking out"? Straddle the fence much?

Stop this has nothing to do with the discussion at hand

When you have made the argument that TC is a D3 talent, you must do everything you can to back up said ridiculous argument even if that means cherry picking stats.

Pointing to the entire distribution and the shape of the curve is hardly "cherry picking stats". In fact, its almost the opposite.

Of course, to the statistically-challenged ...

It's just weird that we (RF) seem to have a similar opinion on him yet you defend him against the people correctly pointing out he's not that great. He's not a D2 player obviously but being the 3rd leading scorer on a team that absolutely sucked at offense, having his 3pt% fall off a cliff when we got to conference play, and now starting off terribly this season doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence.

If that's your take, it isn't even remotely accurate assessment of what I'm railing against in this absurd thread. I'm defending him against overreactionary crap that gets thrown out here about our players. It happens every year, and it is frustrating that the pessimistic mafia is already in mid-season form. Thank christ some of you aren't coaches.

Cooney's play was inconsistent. Inconsistency doesn't inspire confidence. He has proving to do. No argument with any of that. Fortunately, last year's play isn't necessarily a predictor of future performance. Fortunately #2, we have some other options at the swing positions that weren't in place to be contributors next year.

Maybe if you spent less time trying to be an inflammatory agitator and more time reading what is being written, you'd have recognized sooner that our opinions aren't that far off. And also that I'm not "defending him against the people correctly pointing out that he's not great." That is a BS straw man. The difference here is in your opinion that he is worthless, and mine that he is capable of having a better season this year.

Last edited:
Of course he's capable of a better season it can't get much worse

Of course he's capable of a better season it can't get much worse

That's a dopey, non-factual statement. 12.1 points per game. 37.5% from three point range. He's not Ray Allen--lets rescind his scholarship!!! He's a role playing, starting caliber ACC player who needs to add consistency.

He is inconsistent. He is way better than you give him credit for, and the fact that you are congenitally incapable of recognizing that is proof positive that you don't have a @#$ clue what you're talking about and completely lack perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom