It’s Portal time! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

So we would have no Centers? I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense at all.
Not at all what I said. For how hard we’re going after a 2022 center, the scenario makes perfect perfect sense. The two sophomores transfer (for the record again, I dont want Jesse to go and if you go back to the Jesse thread on the main page, I’m defending him repeatedly). Either Sid comes back for that 5th year to promote that he is healthy and can play professional ball somewhere OR we nab a transfer (I’m guessing grad) and roll with Frank for 2021 and 2022 comes and Frank starts with the potential of Mulvany is the backup for 1 year.

My source has said that it’s extremely likely that both centers transfer. It’s going to take a hell of a sell job at the exit interview of JB to keep one of them here. And I don’t blame either one for dipping.
JB would rather go with the kid who’s already in the system than try to teach a one year transfer the zone.

JB would rather go with the kid who’s already in the system than try to teach a one year transfer the zone.
Of course he would, still doesn’t mean they want to stay or play here.

The problem is if he has already damaged the relationship, then he has no control over the outcome and whether he likes it or not may have to go the portal path even when program guy would be preferred.

The plan was to redshirt Jesse this year and he agreed to it. Come on. You know what they say about rumors. Kid would be a fool to leave.
Jesse isn’t a lock to leave but I wouldn’t blame him.
If Frank develops how many minutes would Jesse get next year if Bourama tried to comeback.

The 3rd center on this roster isn’t going to get to play.
JBA probably doesn’t care he just likes being on the team but if Jesse wants to play he needs Bourama and Marek gone next year.

It's possible that the player movement will stun us all. I'm not saying we won't end up better. Or worse. Just stunning.
These kids are getting bad advice and making rash decisions. This is why the ncaa should not pass this no-sit-out transfer rule. We need continuity, plus an impact transfer, to be good. I also hate that Woody might be leaving.

Last edited:
The plan was to redshirt Jesse this year and he agreed to it. Come on. You know what they say about rumors. Kid would be a fool to leave.

Jesse was stuck in Europe all Summer long due to travel restrictions, missing out on valuable S&C time.

When he was finally allowed to return back to the States, he had to self-quarantine on campus for 14 days like all the other foreign students before he could join team activities.

Then there was the 14 day pre-season shutdown.

Then there was the 14 day post-Buffalo shutdown.

Needless to say, Jesse's development this season hasn't gone as planned because of Covid.

I think it's safe to say the Jesse we're seeing in March is nowhere near the Jesse we had in November. And it's a free year for him anyways.

Jesse was stuck in Europe all Summer long due to travel restrictions, missing out on valuable S&C time.

When he was finally allowed to return back to the States, he had to self-quarantine on campus for 14 days like all the other foreign students before he could join team activities.

Needless to say, Jesse's development this season hasn't gone as planned because of Covid.

I think it's safe to say the Jesse we're seeing in March is nowhere near the Jesse we had in November.
Jeese played 23 minutes on 1-23 against Miami.
He played 5 minutes in 3 games after that till the Georgia Tech game with 5 DNP-CD’s.

Jesse didn’t get minutes to play because the HC decided not to play him.
When he was forced to because his hands were tied Jesse was good against Ga. Tech and the UNC bigs said he was tougher to deal with than Marek.

Your point misses a lot.
Jesse’s development hasn’t gone as well? He hasn’t gotten minutes in actual games.

The idea that any of scholarship players who aren’t freshman are so bad in practice they can’t play isn’t believable and if it’s true it’s a terrible job recruiting them then.

I think it's safe to say the Jesse we're seeing in March is nowhere near the Jesse we had in November. And it's a free year for him anyways.
Exactly. Why would he leave? It was a crazy season with Covid. It was hard to get into a rhythm. And he looked good coming down the stretch and JB seems to trust him more now. But, yeah, I wish JB worked harder at building relationships with his players. I was glad to hear that Etan was texting with Jesse and encouraging him and telling him to keep his head up.

Exactly. Why would he leave? It was a crazy season with Covid. It was hard to get into a rhythm. And he looked good coming down the stretch and JB seems to trust him more now. But, yeah, I wish JB worked harder at building relationships with his players. I was glad to hear that Etan was texting with Jesse and encouraging him and telling him to keep his head up.
He would leave for more playing time opportunities.
He could have helped this team during conference play.
If Bourama or Marek come back why would Jesse want to sit again?

Jeese played 23 minutes on 1-23 against Miami.
He played 5 minutes in 3 games after that till the Georgia Tech game with 5 DNP-CD’s.

Jesse didn’t get minutes to play because the HC decided not to play him.
When he was forced to because his hands were tied Jesse was good against Ga. Tech and the UNC bigs said he was tougher to deal with than Marek.

Your point misses a lot.
Jesse’s development hasn’t gone as well? He hasn’t gotten minutes in actual games.

The idea that any of scholarship players who aren’t freshman are so bad in practice they can’t play isn’t believable and if it’s true it’s a terrible job recruiting them then.

This is where I get stuck. For the end of 2020 I can understand the needing time and development but then came Miami followed by hardly anything and all the sudden once again here we are with GT, UNC and a little bit vs Clemson. We played big teams between those gaps. Just doesn't quite equate.

This is where I get stuck. For the end of 2020 I can understand the needing time and development but then came Miami followed by hardly anything and all the sudden once again here we are with GT, UNC and a little bit vs Clemson. We played big teams between those gaps. Just doesn't quite equate.
JBA went in ahead of Jesse against Duke.
Then the next game after JBa didn’t contribute Jesse got the call. Jesse against Ga. Tech and UNC was really good for his role.

The HC doesn’t put him in.
If he puts him in then one of the forwards has to sit.
It helps our defense but hurts our offense.

Developing actually takes giving game action to happen.
Jesse and most our bench must really really really really suck in practice. Like really really suck.

so do programs via back door channels approach players who aren't in the portal but may get in? I assume that is a major no-no but it has to happen right?

When it comes to Jesse and the Portal it's tough. BS has had a really rough time with all the injuries. He knows the system and is highly liked by his teammates. That said if he gets a clean bill of health and wants to return, the odds he can make it through a whole season are not in his favor.

Jesse would be entering his 3rd year. He could be ready to take that next step. If the staff is going all in on a fifth year guy who has only made it through a whole season once, I could see him looking to go where he can feature and finish things out playing a major role. That isn't unrealistic for a third year guy to be looking for that opportunity.

JBA is like the player/mascot. Just a likable guy who brings positive energy at every turn. I could see him transferring or giving it one more year given he hardly seems disappointed even with the limited minutes (purely from observation that is).

I also believe Marek is as key as BS. If Marek comes back it's gonna be hard to push JB away from putting him in at Center. He seemed to fall in love with that model with Lydon and the trend line isn't waivering much. If Marek moves on then the options are limited. I don't think Braswell or Benny would be dropped in the middle.

yep even moreso this year I'd imagine - aau and high school coaches make the perfect conduits

I tend to agree with this, plus, if you take JB at his word, Jesse was always seen as a 2-3 year project. If this has been communicated to him throughout, then he is just reaching the point where everyone from himself to coaches saw him becoming a regular contributor. I am sure he is somewhat frustrated by the lack of minutes (until recently anyway), but it seems like he is "on schedule" and if he was on board for the 2-3 year projection, it would seem silly for him to bail now. Of course, if Sid and Marek come back, that could change things. I tend to think Marek is gone and Sid is 50-50.

because of what Happened Edwards might be behind where they wanted him to be but ahead because he will still have 3 yrs left.

who knows what he wants to do. Maybe they have discussions with him all the time on what he needs to do and he understands where he is at even if the experts on here dont.

because of what Happened Edwards might be behind where they wanted him to be but ahead because he will still have 3 yrs left.

who knows what he wants to do. Maybe they have discussions with him all the time on what he needs to do and he understands where he is at even if the experts on here dont.

For a kid who is academically focused and wants to get as much out of being both a student and athlete the extra year is great. It's also great for schools who can talk their 4th year guys into another year. For guys who have bigger aspirations playing hoops professionally or are behind a talented upperclassman waiting their opportunity it can be a negative. An extra year of waiting or development can be seen as a year of salary lost. Hence the fact the portal is going to be wild this spring and summer.

Jesse isn’t a lock to leave but I wouldn’t blame him.
If Frank develops how many minutes would Jesse get next year if Bourama tried to comeback.

The 3rd center on this roster isn’t going to get to play.
JBA probably doesn’t care he just likes being on the team but if Jesse wants to play he needs Bourama and Marek gone next year.

Fine, But what indicates that Frank would be ahead of him? Jesse is playing reasonably well and he is the de facto center on the team right now and as far as we know Frank is not injured.

Fine, But what indicates that Frank would be ahead of him? Jesse is playing reasonably well and he is the de facto center on the team right now and as far as we know Frank is not injured.
Frank was higher rated out of HS and seen as a better offensive player.

Frank not playing this year is completely understandable without saying it he likely had Covid and he rolled his ankle in practice preventing him from practicing.

Next season Frank should get double digit MPG or something is up.

Marek should not have been playing 35+ at Center when Edwards or whichever bigs were healthy help the defense.

I think this lineup with Joe as a sixth man could really do some damage next season and I hope we see it.
Replacing AG and QG with Woody and Benny? And no transfers at the center position? That seems like a 10-10 ACC team.

Frank was higher rated out of HS and seen as a better offensive player.

Frank not playing this year is completely understandable without saying it he likely had Covid and he rolled his ankle in practice preventing him from practicing.

Next season Frank should get double digit MPG or something is up.

Marek should not have been playing 35+ at Center when Edwards or whichever bigs were healthy help the defense.

I personally think a rotation of Frank and Jesse would be pretty strong by the end of the year. Love Marek and as a 5th year he will bring some unique things to the table. But I think you would end up monopolizing the 5. And given his size, the team's upside is fundamentally limited. Frank/Jesse would allow us to play with a more traditionally-sized lineup with a defensive presence in the middle, and given their athleticism you could see them turning into a solid duo by year end, giving the team higher upside.

I personally think a rotation of Frank and Jesse would be pretty strong by the end of the year. Love Marek and as a 5th year he will bring some unique things to the table. But I think you would end up monopolizing the 5. And given his size, the team's upside is fundamentally limited. Frank/Jesse would allow us to play with a more traditionally-sized lineup with a defensive presence in the middle, and given their athleticism you could see them turning into a solid duo by year end, giving the team higher upside.
If both Marek and Bourama go I think Jesse stays. He would have an actual path to PT. Frank and Jesse could platoon to whomever is playing better in an individual game plays more but they rotate.

These kids are getting bad advice and making rash decisions. This is why the ncaa should not pass this no-sit-out transfer rule. We need continuity, plus an impact transfer, to be good. I also hate that Woody might be leaving.
Woody should have played more, it not like we AA talent in front of him. Every year the same thing. It time for a culture change. JB is the problem

Last edited:

Very good post -- agree 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom