Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

I wonder why??!!!

Ignorant comments like the one you responded to clutter 80% of threads like this. Posters state as fact negatives about these kids with zero first hand knowledge what their values and motivations are. Well meaning posters with real personal information don’t stick around long in that type of an environment.

Nothing wrong with critiquing the play, but when the line is crossed to demean the character of the player no positive purpose is served.
OK, I have some questions for you:

1. Why do you think Red benched Mintz in the second half against NC State?
2. Why do you think Red prefers to have the ball in Copeland’s hands at the end of close games, when we’re trying to preserve a lead?
3. When Red and G-Mac are seen shaking their heads and/or facepalming after Mintz makes a questionable decision, what’s their motivation?
4. Is Red instructing Mintz to gamble for steals?

Well meaning posters with real information don’t stick around because some people question their credibility. If you’re referring to Mintz’s grandpa specifically, he left because he couldn’t stand constructive criticism of his grandson. He even took offense when people compared Mintz to certain NBA players. Players who weren’t superstars, but carved a niche for themselves in the league.

I get it, he loves his grandson and is just standing up for him. Internet forums are not the best environment for family members. We’ve been fortunate to have some exceptions over the years.

Judah’s team is very likely getting feelers - it’s the wild Wild West right now. I was told today by a very reliable source that the PG for ND just got 400k offer by another ‘Indiana school’ 2 weeks ago - during the damn season - it has to be absolutely nuts for these kids and their families.

You can’t get assists if you don’t possess the ball. The ball’s in Judah’s hands A LOT. Much more than JJ. That said, you’re right JJ hasn’t been a good distributor. His job’s putting the ball in the bucket.

Copeland is the best distributor. Judah is better on the drive. JJ is better in the midrange and from three. Neither Judah or JJ are really a PG.

Judah’s team is very likely getting feelers - it’s the wild Wild West right now. I was told today by a very reliable source that the PG for ND just got 400k offer by another ‘Indiana school’ 2 weeks ago - during the damn season - it has to be absolutely nuts for these kids and their families.

I think we would be a better team next year if we get a good C so Maliq doesn't have to play the 5, and if we get a true creator at the PG who can also hit a 3. If we do that, this team looks pretty good next year.

based on how he looked today, we should offer him 400k

I think we would be a better team next year if we get a good C so Maliq doesn't have to play the 5, and if we get a true creator at the PG who can also hit a 3. If we do that, this team looks pretty good next year.
Don’t disagree but I said before centers our fans would like don’t fall off of trees and it’s not like other big time schools aren’t needing one as well (hence bidding wars). PG’s that are better than Q and Westry aren’t cheap either - look no further than the PG we played today

Judah doesn't appear to be an NBA player at this point, and I think all parties understand that.

So in that case, you should try and profit off of your skills while you can. He can probably make a decent bag in Europe, but he can also spend the next few years making a big bag at another program, so I'm not surprised he's shopping around.

He also clearly isn't appreciated here even though he's responsible for a good chunk of our success. Provided we have the money to keep him here, and still upgrade other positions, I'd keep him if he wants to stay.

But a leak like this is definitely intentional and sounds like it's from his camp, which during the season isn't a great look.
Stick to FB.

Any way you slice it, this is impressive:
Mintz is just the sixth Syracuse player to reach 1,000 in his sophomore year. The others are: Lawrence Moten, Gerry McNamara, Billy Owens, Tyus Battle and Jonny Flynn.
Moten: 22-10 as freshman (6 seed NCAA Tournament; #21 in Final AP Poll); 20-9 as sophomore (No NCAA - ban); Overall Record: 42-19, 1-1 NCAA (1 Bid)
McNamara
: 30-5 as freshman (3 seed NCAA Tournament, NCAA Champion) ; 23-8 as sophomore (5 seed NCAA Tournament, #20 in Final AP Poll); Overall Record: 53-13, 8-1 NCAA (2 Bids)
Owens
: 30-8 as freshman (2 seed NCAA Tournament; #7 in Final AP Poll); 26-7 as sophomore (2 seed NCAA Tournament, #6 in Final AP Poll); Overall Record: 56-15, 5-2 NCAA (2 Bids)
Battle
: 19-15 as freshman (No NCAA, No Rank); 23-14 as sophomore (11 seed NCAA Tournament, No Rank); Overall Record: 42-29, 3-1 NCAA (1 Bid)
Flynn
: 21-14 as freshman (No NCAA, No Rank); 28-10 as sophomore (3 seed NCAA Tournament, #13 in Final AP Poll); Overall Record: 49-24, 2-1 NCAA (1 Bid)
Mintz
: 17-15 as freshman (No NCAA, No Rank); 18-10 as sophomore (No NCAA, No Rank)*; Overall Record: 35-25, 0-0 NCAA (0 Bids)
* Season Not Complete

Yup. Judah’s biggest issue is not having an interior threat this year. Maliq is not a post up interior player. So you’re left with trying to only do ball screens with no threat inside. It changes how teams guard him and the whole team.
It’s two things, defense and knocking down 3’s for his NBA future. I think everyone knows he is great at getting to the rim and his handle is great

Last edited:

Also if that happens then Maliq needs to keep working on being a threat from 3. It’s clear he has a decent looking shot so just needs to make that a regular part of his game.

Big question is does the staff plan on going with McLeod and a developing the other two or are they also on team portal at the pivot?

"Mintz: 17-15 as freshman (No NCAA, No Rank); 18-10 as sophomore (No NCAA, No Rank)*; Overall Record: 35-25, 0-0 NCAA (0 Bids) "
* Season Not Complete

i'm not pinning the overall record on judah mintz (although he is a big cog on this team). i really don't feel so far this season he's developed his overall game to the point of being a coveted draft choice. some of that is his outside range , some of that is court awareness, and some of that is immature attitude. the kid's got some great speed and skills . others still need polishing.

Last edited:
Team won’t miss him nearly as much as people like to think.

Starling is a much better lead guard, and Copeland will more than make up for Mintz’s distribution.

We will be more than fine without him.
Starling kickstarted the collapse when Judah was out and ended with 1 assist. Give me a break.

Copeland probably should be starting PG and primary ballhandler. But Judah is a vastly superior player to JJ. Its a shame we didn't move him to the 2 and start Cope with Starling off the bench.

Team won’t miss him nearly as much as people like to think.

Starling is a much better lead guard, and Copeland will more than make up for Mintz’s distribution.

We will be more than fine without him.
JJ really can't handle the ball as a lead guard needs to. He can work on it of course. But that isn't a guarantee.

Starling kickstarted the collapse when Judah was out and ended with 1 assist. Give me a break.

Copeland probably should be starting PG and primary ballhandler. But Judah is a vastly superior player to JJ. Its a shame we didn't move him to the 2 and start Cope with Starling off the bench.
Not to the bench. Copeland can handle the ball on O and play the 3 on d.

Also if that happens then Maliq needs to keep working on being a threat from 3. It’s clear he has a decent looking shot so just needs to make that a regular part of his game.

Big question is does the staff plan on going with McLeod and a developing the other two or are they also on team portal at the pivot?

Personally, I would like to see Maliq work on the midrange jumper from the foul line, and also from the baseline, about 10 feet from the basket. He gets lots of rebounds in the baseline spots.

Not as is. He heard what the NBA said and then did nothing to improve.

And, so when a scout(s) attends an SU game and sees Mintz being the same as last year, it doesn’t portend well for JM because he did not work on what they said he needed to work on. That says a helluva lot more than, “I just didn’t have time”, it says a lot about him as a player and person.

Mintz is a player, I see, who is high energy, tries like hell to make steals and drives the lane trying to get fouled so he can go to the line. What he isn’t is a distributor who feeds himself not his team - which may relate to the bag everyone is talking about. Get as much as you can while you can 'cause it's all about the money now boys.

Not working on what the NBA told him to work on isn’t helping but hurting his chances of even sniffing a team. He is not NBA material now. They are looking for a 3 now and then, more importantly now.

He’s not going to the NBA but I think Red should try and keep him as he is an important player with the highest PPG AVG. He contributes, just not as much as he could if he shot 100 3’s after practice or whenever every day. :rolleyes:

Copeland probably should be starting PG and primary ballhandler. But Judah is a vastly superior player to JJ. It’s a shame we didn't move him to the 2 and start Cope with Starling off the bench.
I disagree. JJ is a better team player than Mintz. Those two pull-up jumpers he made in the second half were fantastic. He will be better without Mintz.

JJ really can't handle the ball as a lead guard needs to. He can work on it of course. But that isn't a guarantee.
I don’t know if that’s true - he does just fine dribbling when he has a chance, IMO.

JJ has improved as the season has gone on, but he cannot be the point guard next year. He has 16 assists in 17 ACC games. We’ve had some gunners at the 2, but those are by far the worst assist numbers from anyone at that position in at least the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom