Lets play a series with UConn | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Lets play a series with UConn

If SU wins 1 or two more NCs and a conf. champ. or two within the next few years and they don't I suppose.

I was really hoping that SU would win the Big East Tourney and NC last year because if that happened then you really could make the argument that during the lifespan of the original Big East both programs were more or less equal to one another.

Again though - I'm in the camp that believes that UConn is in a really tough spot right now and for them to continue their success is going be near impossible in their current situation. Don't kill me for saying this but I think they'd be a perfect fit for a final spot in the ACC if Notre Dame ever decides to come all in and the conference needs a 16th member.

I'd actually like to see that happen. They are a great team to hate and I already miss hating them.

Basically we are on the same page. I mean if ND ever did decide to join and PSU or Texas didn't want to be #16 I would want to see UConn get the nod, especially now since their fans HATE that idea, or so they say.

Also wanted to see us win both the regular season title and BET title last year, though I still maintain that all three teams - us, G'Town, and UConn can still lay claim to best of the BE era, though our case without those two things happening last year is more based on consistency over the entire BE history.

I also believe that, assuming they don't get a 4th title before we get a 2nd, that 2nd title automatically moves us ahead of them in terms of program history. Just as I believe UL was the better program over UConn prior to them winning their 3rd last year. All UL's title last year did was put them closer to the 6 acknowledged elite programs and separation between UConn and us.

Cheers,
Neil

Are national titles the only indicator here? I ask because if that is the only measuring stick then how do we measure Florida? As a better program than SU? Or is there more to it?

Love how their "incredible" class is still not worthy of top 25 status. Makes you wonder what a down year of recruiting would be? And I've asked twice without any of the UConn trolls answering but I'll try again. Setting aside cuse bias vs UConn bias... objective third parties wanted Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, TCU, LVille, Maryland, and Rutgers without anyone wanting you. Why?

Honest answer - It comes down to a lot of things:
Perception of our fan base as not caring about football
Division 1-AA football history
Upstart University - not part of the old boys club
No AAU status yet
Location (I guess)
Enemies created during the last ACC expansion
Poor Leadership from past presidents - starting behind the curve for the current administration (hopefully they can get their act together)
Jeff Hathaway & PP tanked our little football program and really took the wind out of our sails
Calhoun probably didn't make a ton of friends

We obviously don't agree with a lot of these perceptions since we're homers, but I can see why people view us this way. Am I really excited about the new conference? NO. People are going to view it as mid-major no matter what the schools do on the field. I get that. We just have to deal with the hand we we're dealt at this point. Go ahead and sue us for trying to be optimistic.

You can count us out all you want because of the situation we ended up in but we will see what happens. It hasn't even been a full season yet. We have exceeded expectations many times before. The way I see it is everything is just a bigger challenge now. Maybe the new conference will eventually destroy our programs? Who knows - but I don't think we are just going to give up.

I enjoyed playing Syracuse in basketball. It was a great rivalry. I truly hate you all from the bottom of my heart in the best way possible. Most of you would rather let us "rot on the vine" then prove it on the court. Whatever. UConn Basketball is going to continue putting together a strong out of conference schedule even if Cuse is not involved. I really don't expect us to set up a home and home series. If anything we will see you in March or some pre-season tourney.

I was just having a little fun with you guys. Since we don't play anymore I had a lot of pent up Syracuse hate to let out.

No AAU status yet
Location (I guess)
Poor Leadership from past presidents - starting behind the curve for the current administration (hopefully they can get their act together)
Jeff Hathaway & PP tanked our little football program and really took the wind out of our sails

We obviously don't agree with a lot of these perceptions since we're homers, but I can see why people view us this way. Am I really excited about the new conference? NO. People are going to view it as mid-major no matter what the schools do on the field. I get that. We just have to deal with the hand we we're dealt at this point. Go ahead and sue us for trying to be optimistic.

You can count us out all you want because of the situation we ended up in but we will see what happens. It hasn't even been a full season yet. We have exceeded expectations many times before. The way I see it is everything is just a bigger challenge now. Maybe the new conference will eventually destroy our programs? Who knows - but I don't think we are just going to give up.

I enjoyed playing Syracuse in basketball. It was a great rivalry. I truly hate you all from the bottom of my heart in the best way possible. Most of you would rather let us "rot on the vine" then prove it on the court. Whatever. UConn Basketball is going to continue putting together a strong out of conference schedule even if Cuse is not involved. I really don't expect us to set up a home and home series. If anything we will see you in March or some pre-season tourney.

I was just having a little fun with you guys. Since we don't play anymore I had a lot of pent up Syracuse hate to let out.

So do you guys think it even makes sense to stick with the football program? Why not just toss it and stick your apples in the basketball arena? Sure it might not get you a spot in the ACC or BIG but at this point anything would be better than the AAC and the mixing bowl it is.

I have to agree.

We have 1 to their 3 because we won once and they won three times. Simple as that. They say our 2003 is a fluke. Everyone here says their 2011 was a fluke.

It doesn't matter who SU played and who UConn played. People remember championships much more then how they were acquired.

The 1986 Mets were one of the best teams in baseball history. They won 108 games while running roughshod through the National League. They came within a whisker of losing both the NLCS and the WS. Does anybody give the Astros or Red Sox championship-caliber credit for pushing that juggernaut of a Mets team to the brink? Nope. Do the Mets get any less credit for their championship because they weren't nearly as dominant in the post-season as they were in the regular season? Nope. Would there have been a ticker tape parade for the Mets had they lost either of those series? Nope. Did the Astros or Red Sox get a parade? Nope.

The Mets won by the skin of their teeth over two 'inferior' opponents. The Mets are remembered as World Champs and the Astros and Red Sox are footnotes to the 1986 postseason. Mets won, those teams lost.

UConn won their championship games, Syracuse lost theirs. Championships over (arguably) lesser teams are somehow equal to second-place finishes to superior teams? Come on.

And I'll add one more thing - I don't believe that any win in the NCAA Tournament is a cheap win. Every team in the tourney has had an above average to great season and the vast majority are coming into the tourney playing very well. Pedigrees don't really carry that much weight that time of year.

Part of thatr Mets run was avoiding losing to Mike Scott and beating one of the world's most iconic teams in as heartwrenching fashion as possible.

Nothing epic about drawing GT.

Are national titles the only indicator here? I ask because if that is the only measuring stick then how do we measure Florida? As a better program than SU? Or is there more to it?

Not to me. But I think you start with NCs first and then go from there.

I thought ESPN did a good job with their 50 for 50 series in terms of ranking the best bb programs in that time frame. We actually finished slightly ahead of UConn in that one, and Florida finished at #40.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/50-in-50-series

Rankings that have focused on the last 25 or 30 years have Florida much higher than that and UConn usually a spot ahead of us.

Cheers,
Neil

No AAU status yet
Location (I guess)

Hate goes both ways bro...lol. And I see you got a new title, lol. Also What happened to all those likes you had?

No AAU status yet
Location (I guess)

Oh and for you enjoying my polling comment...hate to break your hearts but I only wish I had that kinda time at work. Sure did get y'all going though. Bout on the same lines as your trolling over here. Figured BS is fair game.

I am happy to be the enemy you want me to be as a cuse fan.. much the same you are as a Uconn fan. Hatred is mutual fellas.

So do you guys think it even makes sense to stick with the football program? Why not just toss it and stick your apples in the basketball arena? Sure it might not get you a spot in the ACC or BIG but at this point anything would be better than the AAC and the mixing bowl it is.

Yes I do. If the status quo stays the same then the only way out of this mess of a conference is football. If we choose to go bball only right now then that's it. If football fails we can always fall back on bball only.

I also think there are major changes coming to college sports. P5 conferences splitting off, paying players, concussions in football... Who knows what the hell is going to happen in the next couple years. For all I know we stick it out for a short time and end up in a totally different landscape. I figure UConn will be a player or the whole thing is going to blow up. I'll start worrying more about this stuff after this bball season.

Not to me. But I think you start with NCs first and then go from there.

I thought ESPN did a good job with their 50 for 50 series in terms of ranking the best bb programs in that time frame. We actually finished slightly ahead of UConn in that one, and Florida finished at #40.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/50-in-50-series

Rankings that have focused on the last 25 or 30 years have Florida much higher than that and UConn usually a spot ahead of us.

Cheers,
Neil

I remember that series and recall several threads about it. Thought they did a good job as well. No doubt it starts with Titles, then Final Fours etc. I think its much more realistic to look at it that way than to simply try and say 3 to 1 is all that matters. If thats the case then Helms have to count because your taking every other factor out of consideration.

Hate goes both ways bro...lol. And I see you got a new title, lol. Also What happened to all those likes you had?

Haha that title is fine by me because it is absolutely true.

I guess someone stole them but I swear to god I will get them back.

Yes I do. If the status quo stays the same then the only way out of this mess of a conference is football. If we choose to go bball only right now then that's it. If football fails we can always fall back on bball only.

I also think there are major changes coming to college sports. P5 conferences splitting off, paying players, concussions in football... Who knows what the hell is going to happen in the next couple years. For all I know we stick it out for a short time and end up in a totally different landscape. I figure UConn will be a player or the whole thing is going to blow up. I'll start worrying more about this stuff after this bball season.

Fair enough. It all boils down to the when to jump question. Obviously the UConn approach is to wait it out. I can't say I would condone that thinking unless it was forced on me. I don't know the backstory with you all so not going to try and say whether there was really a choice or offers never came.

In 2003, you had, by far, the best player in the tourney. Anytime you have that, you have a shot. See Kemba Walker.

What I always think is pretty cool is that UCONN beat your 2003 team twice & then in 2004, SU beat UCONN in the last regular season game.

Those two years, the rivalry was at its peak.
In 2011, Syracuse also both beat Uconn at the XL center, and took Uconn to OT in the BE tourney.

I remember that series and recall several threads about it. Thought they did a good job as well. No doubt it starts with Titles, then Final Fours etc. I think its much more realistic to look at it that way than to simply try and say 3 to 1 is all that matters. If thats the case then Helms have to count because your taking every other factor out of consideration.

Agree on the Helms. I also think every NIT title at least up to 1960 or so should count as well. We weren't fortunate enough to win any of them, but Louisville has 1 of those and the Johnnies have 3. Now I'm not saying Helms and NITs should be equal to NCAAs, especially NCAAs from the 70s onward, but they should be part of the discussion, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

In 2011, Syracuse also both beat Uconn at the XL center, and took Uconn to OT in the BE tourney.

Go back to the year we dropped UConn at their place when they were #1 as well.. what year was that?

Go back to the year we dropped UConn at their place when they were #1 as well.. what year was that?
59-42 Jake Voskul didn't play and Damone Brown hit 2 threes right out of the half.

The little fat Islamic name guard was out too I think.

I remember some details, but not all you know?

Ok... I'm not going to nitpick the details because that was an actual honest rational response which has been lacking so thanks for that. As I've said, my belief is you're fine for about 5 years give or take, and then the kids you're trying to recruit will be too young to remember the status you once held in basketball. With the B1G taking Rutgers I don't see you getting in there. Your best bet would still be ND going in full to the ACC and being 16. But thats just my opinion so I can't object to disagreement. So here's my personal olive branch to UConn fans. We like our program and history, you like yours... fine. It was a great rivalry and speaking for myself, I considered it a relatively friendly one until realignment really took hold. I even have an account on the boneyard, that I haven't used in a long while, with quite a few likes on it from friendly talks there. But it seems like realignment has made you folks bitter beyond belief. And for some reason that ire seems to be focused on Syracuse... as if UConn wouldn't have jumped had they been offered. The truth is we look at you and think "there but for the grace of God go we." We have a great home now and we're glad. We think we bring the ACC, or anywhere else we could have gone, a lot. But we're also not Texas or Notre Dame where conferences revolve around us like planets around the sun. I see UConn like that old movie cliche where sailors are trapped on a sinking sub and one guy has to make the decision to seal the hatch with his buddy still inside or else everyone would drown lol. If Blumenthal wasn't such a last realignment or if your fans would stop being such d!cks now you'd have a lot more friends trying to help you out of Sub AAC... but with everyone UConn related always screaming and b!tching... we're starting to be ok with letting ya drown.
No AAU status yet
Location (I guess)

Ok... I'm not going to nitpick the details because that was an actual honest rational response which has been lacking so thanks for that. As I've said, my belief is you're fine for about 5 years give or take, and then the kids you're trying to recruit will be too young to remember the status you once held in basketball. With the B1G taking Rutgers I don't see you getting in there. Your best bet would still be ND going in full to the ACC and being 16. But thats just my opinion so I can't object to disagreement. So here's my personal olive branch to UConn fans. We like our program and history, you like yours... fine. It was a great rivalry and speaking for myself, I considered it a relatively friendly one until realignment really took hold. I even have an account on the boneyard, that I haven't used in a long while, with quite a few likes on it from friendly talks there. But it seems like realignment has made you folks bitter beyond belief. And for some reason that ire seems to be focused on Syracuse... as if UConn wouldn't have jumped had they been offered. The truth is we look at you and think "there but for the grace of God go we." We have a great home now and we're glad. We think we bring the ACC, or anywhere else we could have gone, a lot. But we're also not Texas or Notre Dame where conferences revolve around us like planets around the sun. I see UConn like that old movie cliche where sailors are trapped on a sinking sub and one guy has to make the decision to seal the hatch with his buddy still inside or else everyone would drown lol. If Blumenthal wasn't such a last realignment or if your fans would stop being such d!cks now you'd have a lot more friends trying to help you out of Sub AAC... but with everyone UConn related always screaming and b!tching... we're starting to be ok with letting ya drown.

Pretty much sums it up. Seems as though most of the bitterness was shifted towards Gtown and Pitt not so much UConn. I even recall several enjoyable conversations between the fanbases after the six OT game with both being in awe of what just transpired.

Excellent post. About the only quibble I have is that we aren't "letting 'em drown" per se. We don't have that kind of clout. It's not our fault that the ND strategy made Pitt the better candidate than them or that when Maryland decided to join the BiG, that FSU, Clemson, and GT wanted Louisville. All TGD was asked by the ACC was how UL was a conference partner. And it's hard to deny that the UL athletic department exceeds even UConn's.

I've actually always had respect for UConn athletics and thought they could succeed in football over time since they proved it with all of their other sports. I can't say I have a lot of respect for their fans, but I do understand their frustration at being left out at this time.

Cheers,
Neil

normaliswear I think you make some valid points. I'm not going to say that if we are not out of the AAC in 5 years we are dead, but I really think we need to be out of the AAC in about 5 years...

I agree that this rivalry got really crazy and heated towards the end. It started just before realignment and then blew up for our last couple games. I'm not sure why it escalated but I know the hate increased because we were getting left behind.

Our administration and the state of CT totally screwed us realignment wise from 2003 to 2013. Especially Blumenthal. But that's not the fans or the alumnis fault. We just get dragged through this mess and do what we can.

Also, I really doubt any alignment decision will be based on if UConn fan's are huge d!cks or not. I mean West Virginia got out of here and those guys are the definition of the word.

I don't blame you all for being happy. We would probably gloat if we were in your shoes.

I wouldn't count UConn out if I were you guys. You never know what might happen.

Didn't mean to imply that we actually have the power over whether its happens or not. Merely that we're becoming ok with what's happening to their program. The day it was announced we were leaving for the ACC I was thinking about how I hope UConn comes with us both to help form a northern power block in the ACC and because I didn't want to see them in the position they're in now. But as time goes by and more of this crap happens I find myself rooting for them rot.
Excellent post. About the only quibble I have is that we aren't "letting 'em drown" per se. We don't have that kind of clout. It's not our fault that the ND strategy made Pitt the better candidate than them or that when Maryland decided to join the BiG, that FSU, Clemson, and GT wanted Louisville. All TGD was asked by the ACC was how UL was a conference partner. And it's hard to deny that the UL athletic department exceeds even UConn's.

I've actually always had respect for UConn athletics and thought they could succeed in football over time since they proved it with all of their other sports. I can't say I have a lot of respect for their fans, but I do understand their frustration at being left out at this time.

Cheers,
Neil

normaliswear I think you make some valid points. I'm not going to say that if we are not out of the AAC in 5 years we are dead, but I really think we need to be out of the AAC in about 5 years...

I agree that this rivalry got really crazy and heated towards the end. It started just before realignment and then blew up for our last couple games. I'm not sure why it escalated but I know the hate increased because we were getting left behind.

Our administration and the state of CT totally screwed us realignment wise from 2003 to 2013. Especially Blumenthal. But that's not the fans or the alumnis fault. We just get dragged through this mess and do what we can.

Also, I really doubt any alignment decision will be based on if UConn fan's are huge d!cks or not. I mean West Virginia got out of here and those guys are the definition of the word.

I don't blame you all for being happy. We would probably gloat if we were in your shoes.

I wouldn't count UConn out if I were you guys. You never know what might happen.
Fair enough. Realistic post.

Now don't get out the rope and look for a tree for me before you hear me out. Let's play a 4 game series in D.C.. Split the tickets. Sell the place out. think of how insulting that is to G-town, the cowards that won't play us. Let's face it, the two fan bases hate each other. What better way to get at that hate? I know a lot of people want them to die on the vine in that joke of a league they are in. Fine. But this plan also sticks it to G-town.

No,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom