Lets play a series with UConn | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Lets play a series with UConn

Going into the game with UCONN, Butler was 10-1 in the NCAA tourney over the previous two years and in 2011, had already beaten a 1, 2 & 4 seed. They were a good, well coached team.

Yes, and they still were unranked going into that tourney, unlike the previous year when they were ranked #12.

Again, I don't really care. As I said before, we could beat Austin Peay to win an NC and I'd take it no questions asked. But I'm not delusional enough to believe that others outside of OrangeNation wouldn't view it as a fluky NC.

I don't get those claiming 2003 was though, considering the gauntlet we faced to win it.

Cheers,
Neil

Yes, and they still were unranked going into that tourney, unlike the previous year when they were ranked #12.

Again, I don't really care. As I said before, we could beat Austin Peay to win an NC and I'd take it no questions asked. But I'm not delusional enough to believe that others outside of OrangeNation wouldn't view it as a fluky NC.

I don't get those claiming 2003 was though, considering the gauntlet we faced to win it.

Cheers,
Neil

In 2003, you had, by far, the best player in the tourney. Anytime you have that, you have a shot. See Kemba Walker.

What I always think is pretty cool is that UCONN beat your 2003 team twice & then in 2004, SU beat UCONN in the last regular season game.

Those two years, the rivalry was at its peak.

Purvis was unimpressive at NC St. Hamilton is a good pickup. Lubin was a lightly recruited kid and doubtful he does much. Cassel Jr is an ok JUCO pickup. Incredible is far from an accurate adjective for that bunch.

Rodney Purvis, Hamilton, Sam Cassel Jr and Lubin.

I would take a class of the quality anytime.
Is Rod playing this year? I can't remember but also don't remember seeig him in any box scores? Is he out this year?

Rodney Purvis, Hamilton, Sam Cassel Jr and Lubin.

I would take a class of the quality anytime.

Hamilton's a great get. The rest, well there was a time I remember not too long ago when we bragged on JUCOs and transfers and unranked recruits and you oh so knowledgeable UConn fans would laugh at us.

Cheers,
Neil

Caw is a real winner over there it appears. Tough guy on a message board. All I can say is I am blessed to have a great deal of fellow college hoops fans I work with. Therefore asking them about UConn is a natural thing and something that came up via an Iowa St fan complaining about some Uconn dbag on a recent flight.

Caw is a real winner over there it appears. Tough guy on a message board. All I can say is I am blessed to have a great deal of fellow college hoops fans I work with. Therefore asking them about UConn is a natural thing and something that came up via an Iowa St fan complaining about some Uconn dbag on a recent flight.
If caw passed. His father would start a national slow clap?

Too classless?

If Butler made that half court heave against Duke in 2010 and not played like crap in the second half (in the worst college basketball game I've seen) against Uconn in 2011 they'd be tied with Uconn at 2 ships. Under UConn logic they would be better than us because they have more ships. Sounds like a good argument lol.

If Butler made that half court heave against Duke in 2010 and not played like crap in the second half (in the worst college basketball game I've seen) against Uconn in 2011 they'd be tied with Uconn at 2 ships. Under UConn logic they would be better than us because they have more ships. Sounds like a good argument lol.

If you read their board, they do lump us in with all the 1 NC teams for the most part. Meaning when we eventually do get that 2nd NC we will be no better than Cincy or San Fran, etc. to some of them.

Cheers,
Neil

Again, NO ONE is saying 1 is greater than 3. I sure hope you don't have an SU degree since you definitely need to work on reading and comprehension, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Are the insults really necessary Neil?

And in my last post I addressed that while trying to relate that it does not matter how tough the road to that championship is or isn't. A championship is not worth less because you played what is perceived as an inferior opponent, and a loss is not burnished because you lost to a superior opponent. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Especially in a championship game.

While you think I may not be addressing the more subtle points of the ridiculous argument, I am focusing on the bigger picture. That being the nitpicking of whose championship is 'worth' more.

Again - bottom line is, while both programs have excellent, enviable histories UConn has been better. Sorry if that's painful to hear (it's painful to write), but its the truth.

Closet UConn fan? Hmmmm, well I DO live in Connecticut but I bleed orange.

Purvis was unimpressive at NC St. Hamilton is a good pickup. Lubin was a lightly recruited kid and doubtful he does much. Cassel Jr is an ok JUCO pickup. Incredible is far from an accurate adjective for that bunch.
Exactly. It's comical how those dolts consider a transfer to be part of the incoming recruiting class (a transfer who underwhelmed at his first school, no less). And then there's the juco PG no other big-name program wanted. And then there's a no-name recruit whose mom comes on their board boasting about so that they're now convinced he's the next Moses Malone.
:D

And in my last post I addressed that while trying to relate that it does not matter how tough the road to that championship is or isn't. A championship is not worth less because you played what is perceived as an inferior opponent, and a loss is not burnished because you lost to a superior opponent. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Especially in a championship game.

While you think I may not be addressing the more subtle points of the ridiculous argument, I am focusing on the bigger picture. That being the nitpicking of whose championship is 'worth' more.

Again - bottom line is, while both programs have excellent, enviable histories UConn has been better. Sorry if that's painful to hear (it's painful to write), but its the truth.

My apologies for the "insult" on the reading and comprehension, though I do know you are an SU fan, the closet UConn fan was done with a smiley, so I hope you took no offense to that line.

Cheers,
Neil

Love how their "incredible" class is still not worthy of top 25 status. Makes you wonder what a down year of recruiting would be? And I've asked twice without any of the UConn trolls answering but I'll try again. Setting aside cuse bias vs UConn bias... objective third parties wanted Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, TCU, LVille, Maryland, and Rutgers without anyone wanting you. Why?

I think that if the context of the input from the Uconn trolling efforts were practical and done with an ounce of respect that your point carries in the conversation. Instead it has been childish, delusional bullcrap from them. So in that context your post which speaks of trying to balance out the conversation is out of context. It is not ignorant.

Btw, I have argued in the past that UConn's 3>1 does indeed make them the better program overall, but I'd be interested in knowing what you think will make it no longer true?

Cheers,
Neil

No offense taken, just trying to bring the debate into some sort of rational arena.

Go read the boneyard and then see just how rational the fanbase we are conversing with is :)

Btw, I have argued in the past that UConn's 3>1 does indeed make them the better program overall, but I'd be interested in knowing what you think will make it no longer true?

Cheers,
Neil

If SU wins 1 or two more NCs and a conf. champ. or two within the next few years and they don't I suppose.

I was really hoping that SU would win the Big East Tourney and NC last year because if that happened then you really could make the argument that during the lifespan of the original Big East both programs were more or less equal to one another.

Again though - I'm in the camp that believes that UConn is in a really tough spot right now and for them to continue their success is going be near impossible in their current situation. Don't kill me for saying this but I think they'd be a perfect fit for a final spot in the ACC if Notre Dame ever decides to come all in and the conference needs a 16th member.

I'd actually like to see that happen. They are a great team to hate and I already miss hating them.

Go read the boneyard and then see just how rational the fanbase we are conversing with is :)

Why would I want to read about what they say about their team? And if I do, why would I be surprised that they support the Huskies crazily and irrationally just like we do for the Orange here?

They are a great team to hate. I am not sure the ACC wants any part of their football program. I would imagine the BIG would be in the same boat. I think they are better off joining the newly formed Big East basketball only conf than anything. Thus giving in on the BCS football dream.

Why would I want to read about what they say about their team? And if I do, why would I be surprised that they support the Huskies crazily and irrationally just like we do for the Orange here?

It was a tongue in cheek comment since you are coming from a different approach :). And the nature of these posts have been in reference to the board war so to speak.

uh, yeah, so the bile they're spewing on here isn't enough, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom