Lets play a series with UConn | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Lets play a series with UConn

Well guys, this was fun...I'm going to head down to the Funny Picture Thread to rock out. Then maybe hit up the entertainment thread.

:cool:

The state of CT just committed (use your best Austin Powers voice) ONE BILLLLLLLLIOOOON DOllARS to UCONN.

So, we got that going for us, which is nice.

You'd need a billion dollars to bring that place up to third world standards.

I've actually always had respect for UConn athletics and thought they could succeed in football over time since they proved it with all of their other sports. I can't say I have a lot of respect for their fans, but I do understand their frustration at being left out at this time.

You guys were totally right. You said PP would destroy our program and he did. Honestly this whole thing could have worked out quite differently if that hire had gone a different way.

At the end of 2011 there really wasn't much of a difference between UL's athletics and ours. Today the perception is totally different.

I honestly think that if this all shook out at one time (Maryland leaving ACC right when you joined) we probably would have been in.

Fair enough... can't really gripe with any of this.
normaliswear I think you make some valid points. I'm not going to say that if we are not out of the AAC in 5 years we are dead, but I really think we need to be out of the AAC in about 5 years...

I agree that this rivalry got really crazy and heated towards the end. It started just before realignment and then blew up for our last couple games. I'm not sure why it escalated but I know the hate increased because we were getting left behind.

Our administration and the state of CT totally screwed us realignment wise from 2003 to 2013. Especially Blumenthal. But that's not the fans or the alumnis fault. We just get dragged through this mess and do what we can.

Also, I really doubt any alignment decision will be based on if UConn fan's are huge d!cks or not. I mean West Virginia got out of here and those guys are the definition of the word.

I don't blame you all for being happy. We would probably gloat if we were in your shoes.

I wouldn't count UConn out if I were you guys. You never know what might happen.

To be honest I agree with that... or if we had left two years earlier you'd be coming off a Fiesta bowl and a basketball NC... instead of JC retiring and the program banned from the NCAAs and LVille being the hot BE football team. Bad blood with BC etc couldn't have kept you out then... bad timing. I understand the frustration. But it wasn't Syracuse doing it to ya.
You guys were totally right. You said PP would destroy our program and he did. Honestly this whole thing could have worked out quite differently if that hire had gone a different way.

At the end of 2011 there really wasn't much of a difference between UL's athletics and ours. Today the perception is totally different.

I honestly think that if this all shook out at one time (Maryland leaving ACC right when you joined) we probably would have been in.

Right because NY is college football mad, and no one cares about football in TX or central FL?

Not sure about that logic.

LOL. I live in Houston and I can promise you, nobody cares about UofH football. It is not even a tick on the butt of irrelevance. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Timing is always everything. That will ring true going forward as well. It is possible with all thats going on now regarding the NCAA over reacting to everything and what could be considered institutional failure on the NCAA's part ( no governing body to prove that of course) that the entire landscape could change with the 5 major conferences seceding from the NCAA. Of course that would change everything along with offering opportunity for those outside those conferences. It certainly feels different now than it did just 5 years ago. With all the lawsuits regarding NCAA players not being compensated for use of their likenesses etc. If that occurs that more than likely would certainly benefit UConn as easily the biggest name on the list not in one of those conferences.

Timing is always everything. That will ring true going forward as well. It is possible with all thats going on now regarding the NCAA over reacting to everything and what could be considered institutional failure on the NCAA's part ( no governing body to prove that of course) that the entire landscape could change with the 5 major conferences seceding from the NCAA. Of course that would change everything along with offering opportunity for those outside those conferences. It certainly feels different now than it did just 5 years ago. With all the lawsuits regarding NCAA players not being compensated for use of their likenesses etc. If that occurs that more than likely would certainly benefit UConn as easily the biggest name on the list not in one of those conferences.

Ya that's what I am talking about. We are at a serious crossroads when it come to college athletics. I'm trying not to get to worked up about the conference stuff because the future is so wide open. I really think huge changes are coming.

But damn, when I think about our conference schedules going forward it makes me sick. We're better than this and I think you all know it's true even if you guys won't say it.

Ya that's what I am talking about. We are at a serious crossroads when it come to college athletics. I'm trying not to get to worked up about the conference stuff because the future is so wide open. I really think huge changes are coming.

But damn, when I think about our conference schedules going forward it makes me sick. We're better than this and I think you all know it's true even if you guys won't say it.

Guilty....lol damn you!

I'll say it... UConn deserve's better. Wether ya get that better situation or fall to the level of the rest of the AAC remains to be seen.

Ok... I'm not going to nitpick the details because that was an actual honest rational response which has been lacking so thanks for that. As I've said, my belief is you're fine for about 5 years give or take, and then the kids you're trying to recruit will be too young to remember the status you once held in basketball. With the B1G taking Rutgers I don't see you getting in there. Your best bet would still be ND going in full to the ACC and being 16. But thats just my opinion so I can't object to disagreement. So here's my personal olive branch to UConn fans. We like our program and history, you like yours... fine. It was a great rivalry and speaking for myself, I considered it a relatively friendly one until realignment really took hold. I even have an account on the boneyard, that I haven't used in a long while, with quite a few likes on it from friendly talks there. But it seems like realignment has made you folks bitter beyond belief. And for some reason that ire seems to be focused on Syracuse... as if UConn wouldn't have jumped had they been offered. The truth is we look at you and think "there but for the grace of God go we." We have a great home now and we're glad. We think we bring the ACC, or anywhere else we could have gone, a lot. But we're also not Texas or Notre Dame where conferences revolve around us like planets around the sun. I see UConn like that old movie cliche where sailors are trapped on a sinking sub and one guy has to make the decision to seal the hatch with his buddy still inside or else everyone would drown lol. If Blumenthal wasn't such a last realignment or if your fans would stop being such d!cks now you'd have a lot more friends trying to help you out of Sub AAC... but with everyone UConn related always screaming and b!tching... we're starting to be ok with letting ya drown.
kobe-bryant-judge.gif

Georgetown doesn't need any "insulting" from us, they're doing just fine insulting themselves. Your proposal wouldn't help us, but would help UCONN. Bad idea.
Seriously, I haven't paid much never-mind to either team this year (except I did see the Napier game, gotta tip your hat to that)
To be honest their conference , considering what happened, isn't bad. But thing is, we got our own business to take care of. Once the 2013-14 schedule came out Georgetown and UConn were in the rear-view mirror.

I'm all for some good flame wars, but these threads are nuts. On both sides.

We're friggin Syracuse, we're really good and we're going to stay really good. It doesn't matter to us if UConn stays strong or falls apart. Really...who cares? Has no effect on us. A strong UConn can't hurt a strong Syracuse. We're going to get our recruits regardless.

And UConn message board fans are incredibly dumb. But that's no reason to not want to play them. Again...who cares? Since some dork on the internet who calls himself "Fishy" makes dumb posts about Syracuse, I shouldn't want to watch Syracuse play UConn? C'mon.

It's been a great on court rivalry, and at this point would still be likely to produce great games.

If they fall apart due to their crappy league, then again...who cares? So don't play them anymore, if they no longer move the needle.
Rivalries come and rivalries go. I remember in the '70's St Bonaventure was the intense rivalry. St John's isn't the same as is was in the 80's. Nobody is shedding any tears about the rivalries ending with Providence and Seton Hall.

I am late to the party, but I have no interest in playing UConn in the regular season unless it was in a MSG Jimmy V or preseason tournament. Playing them in CT is worthless and while they are good program what they fail to realize is that they have from 3 years to 5 years worth of Big East exit fee money to keep themselves relevant. They will be bringing in 3 million dollars a year in TV money from the AAC now while everybody else in a power 5 conference will be bringing in 15 to 20 million dollars. Paying Geno 1 million dollars, Ollie 1 million dollars will leave very little from them to hire a big time football coach. They talk about paying 3 million dollar for a football coach and I laugh because the program won't be able to sustain itself if their TV money is so little right now they can't fill up their stadiums thanks to the putrid schedules they will be playing. Good luck remaining relevant in football when your coaching staff is paid what you believe your AD office will be pay. Then your coaching staff will be eating up atleast 80% of your TV contract money you will receive from your conference.

The B1G is not going take UConn for the foreseeable future as their isn't another option Mizzou isn't leaving the SEC now with the SEC network starting up in 2014 and them and all the SEC teams sold their T3 to ESPN for the network to get started up. Go and dream B1G and leave this board. I am sure Memphis and Temple will make good rivals for UConn.

LOL. I live in Houston and I can promise you, nobody cares about UofH football. It is not even a tick on the butt of irrelevance. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Houston is full of talent. Two years ago they were a top 20 team.

Without going through all 10 pages here, it still seems like I am in the minority among Syracuse fans. Personally, I would love to get UConn back on the schedule. People say we have nothing to gain by playing them. Yes we do. They are rivals. How about beating your rivals in a high-profile game? Winning against a rival is an awesome feeling . I think people are overestimating the recruiting impact of playing in locations. Since when did we only play people when there was some externality that helps the program. I like playing rivals and competing for bragging rights. We can beat anyone anywhere. Playing good teams only helps our profile.

Hey, I had no issue w/ getting UConn back on our schedule, until their bitterness turned my opinion.
The fact that they lash out at us, like we're the reason they're viewed as a lesser option in CR, is what pisses me off.
UConn sucks because...UConn sucks, period. Not because of BC, or Rutgers, or the ACC, or SU.
They reside in a sh%tty location, in a sh%tty state, with minimal demographics, and nothing they say will change that.
They can rot.
F' UConn.
chairshot.r191677.gif

Last edited:
Without going through all 10 pages here, it still seems like I am in the minority among Syracuse fans. Personally, I would love to get UConn back on the schedule. People say we have nothing to gain by playing them. Yes we do. They are rivals. How about beating your rivals in a high-profile game? Winning against a rival is an awesome feeling . I think people are overestimating the recruiting impact of playing in locations. Since when did we only play people when there was some externality that helps the program. I like playing rivals and competing for bragging rights. We can beat anyone anywhere. Playing good teams only helps our profile.
Go to a game in Storrz or Hartford wearing opposing colors and you'll never want to play them again. Guy behind me in Hartford last year yelled "Bathrobe" in my ear non stop for 2 hours. Total group of mongoloids.

Go to a game in Storrz or Hartford wearing opposing colors and you'll never want to play them again. Guy behind me in Hartford last year yelled "Bathrobe" in my ear non stop for 2 hours. Total group of mongoloids.
Gotta hand it to him... real clever.

bnoro said:

The only away game I've been to where I felt unsafe was at the Rent. Good natured ribbing is one thing. Threats and screaming in your face is another.

I was just in target and saw a uconn trash can (ironic) and i was trying to find something with a letter F to put in front and take a pic. My wife wanted no part of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom