Mayors in NYC & LA | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mayors in NYC & LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait til your kids get older, every squirming boy is an overworked teacher away from wanting every boy to get loaded up with ridalin (sp). I get the concern for slipperly slope, these aren't their kids, they just want them managed.

Holy sht you got that right. A lot of teachers think they're doctors and I have a great story where 3 doctors evaluated a kid as perfectly fine, and advised the teacher who kept insisting the kid be diagnosed with ADHD, she should lay off her doctor google medical education and stick to teaching 2nd grade. She basically just wants little robot boys who don't squirm.

The good news is Pelosi got the Kennedy Center 25MM and held the stimulus approval up for days and now is raging at Trump for holding up checks a few hours.

I wonder how many people DeBlasio killed after telling all NYCers to go to Chinatown and party??
DeBlasio's rashness was deplorable, but. . .

I'm sure that Trump had much more up-to-date intelligence in the six weeks between late Jan and early March than the mayor did, and still continued to pooh-pooh the danger of the virus. No excuse.

I had a chat with some DR type people who were in Asia in the summer and there was talk of a flu like thing going around that they couldnt identify or treat, so that was 5-6 months before most of this hit.

This backs up a lot of what I've been hearing from people. Here's a good one. My friend in Upstate NY had 'the flu' in December. Felt like crap for most of the month, Flu/Respiratory systems with a terrible cough, couldn't kick it. Tested negative for the flu. His wife and 2 kids in the house subsequently get pneumonia after that. What are literally the chances everybody in the house within a couple of weeks of each other get pneumonia and flu like symptoms and negative for the flu? Sounds like covid to me. Maybe it wasn't but that's a little to coincidental.

2nd story November/December, 3 people of 12 in my dept, out with upper respiratory infections and 1 with pneumonia.

December, our elementary school shut down one weekend for a deep clean because so many kids and teachers were out sick.

This isn't normal stuff. It's hard not to think the virus hasn't been around for a while now.

Last edited:
This backs up a lot of what I've been hearing from people. Here's a good one. My friend in Upstate NY had 'the flu' in December. Felt like crap for a couple of weeks with a terrible cough. Tested negative for the flu. His wife and 2 kids in the house got pneumonia. What are literally the chances everybody in the house had pneumonia and flu like symptoms and negative for the flu? Sounds like covid to me. Maybe it wasn't but that's a little to coincidental.

2nd story November/December, 3 people in my dept, out with upper respiratory infections and 1 with pneumonia.

December, our elementary school shut down one weekend for a deep clean because so many kids and teachers were out sick.

It's hard not to think this virus has been around for a while now.
You’re not wrong, I agree, but on the other end, my former cuse roommate a few weeks back was sick. He works at Georgia. He had all the symptoms of covid to a T. He came in contact with a kid who literally just got back from China and lied about it (people are seriously so dumb it’s scary). I would have bet a lot of money on him having it. Kid had mrsa back in college which is serious stuff.

He tested negative. Also negative for flu, it was something else. Reality is there are a lot of illnesses out there with overlapping symptoms and it’s not just “flu” or covid.

Go orange

You’re not wrong, I agree, but on the other end, my former cuse roommate a few weeks back was sick. He works at Georgia. He had all the symptoms of covid to a T. He came in contact with a kid who literally just got back from China and lied about it (people are seriously so dumb it’s scary). I would have bet a lot of money on him having it. Kid had mrsa back in college which is serious stuff.

He tested negative. Also negative for flu, it was something else. Reality is there are a lot of illnesses out there with overlapping symptoms and it’s not just “flu” or covid.

Go orange

True true. Totally get it. It's surprising to me what I saw then combined with similar stories 2nd hand. Might just be coincidence like your friend, but makes you wonder. And yes people are seriously so dumb it's scary. The NYC stuff was just mind numbing.

Last edited:
This backs up a lot of what I've been hearing from people. Here's a good one. My friend in Upstate NY had 'the flu' in December. Felt like crap for most of the month, Flu/Respiratory systems with a terrible cough, couldn't kick it. Tested negative for the flu. His wife and 2 kids in the house subsequently get pneumonia after that. What are literally the chances everybody in the house within a couple of weeks of each other get pneumonia and flu like symptoms and negative for the flu? Sounds like covid to me. Maybe it wasn't but that's a little to coincidental.

2nd story November/December, 3 people of 12 in my dept, out with upper respiratory infections and 1 with pneumonia.

This isn't normal stuff. It's hard not to think the virus hasn't been around for a while now.

There’s 0% that this virus was not around long before we thought it was here...

Too many people sick with too many close symptoms of this virus...

Ignorance was truly bliss during that time...part of me really wishes we could go back to that..

Exactly this. I think it's fairly obvious this illness has been around AND THAT MANY more people have been infected with the virus than have been "confirmed." MANY more. That fact alone would make this virus much less deadly than the numbers would lead us to believe.

2. For all the people saying "Covid is not the flu" I absolutely agree. It is not. It CAN be and HAS THE POTENTIAL to be much more serious than the flu. However, medical professionals are calling it a "flu-like illness." Not my words. Watch the White House briefing today. Look at the charts. In it's nature Covid operates like a flu. There IS a connection

3. Sounds like some common sense has come through the White House briefing today. A phased opening of the country, while keeping vigil watch of numbers and the continued expansion of testing, research, and development of medical equipment

the iceland story said they identified 500 variations.. Does the test find those or just a set few?

They have also been wrong about things they've recommended in the past. Our local school district recommended Lunchables as a healthy choice for kids' lunches. I went apes***t. Federal agencies have also at various times said all fat is unhealthy, milk is unhealthy, eggs raise cholesterol levels leading to heart disease. My point is they get things wrong all the time, so we shouldn't just take the government's word for it.

I don’t disagree that governments can get things wrong. But if there is virtually universal consensus amongst public health organizations that people should get seasonal flu shots, a counter argument needs to be stronger than extremely small sample sized anecdotes.

Exactly this. I think it's fairly obvious this illness has been around AND THAT MANY more people have been infected with the virus than have been "confirmed." MANY more. That fact alone would make this virus much less deadly than the numbers would lead us to believe.

2. For all the people saying "Covid is not the flu" I absolutely agree. It is not. It CAN be and HAS THE POTENTIAL to be much more serious than the flu. However, medical professionals are calling it a "flu-like illness." Not my words. Watch the White House briefing today. Look at the charts. In it's nature Covid operates like a flu. There IS a connection

3. Sounds like some common sense has come through the White House briefing today. A phased opening of the country, while keeping vigil watch of numbers and the continued expansion of testing, research, and development of medical equipment
Whatever is done, we need logic and caution backed by the science obviously.

But it’s true, I’ve read articles saying the true number of deaths is higher than what has been reported. Implies the death rate is higher. True. But, we also keep hearing how many people have it who haven’t been tested, had it, or are asymptomatic. Thousands more people have had it who haven’t been tested. That matters.

I don’t know... this entire month has been weird. And sad, for everyone affected.

We simply don’t know if Syracuse could have won the acc tournament either. Let us never forget!

What numbers? Of course the confirmed cases aren't total cases but deaths ignore alot of deaths prior to post mortem testing for covid-19 too. So this fact alone would indicate that if we don't know the actual cases along with actual deaths then we can never really know death rates. There is so much we don't know. We can assume easier to transmit and die from but is that due to the fact it impacts humans faster and harder or is it the simple fact its novel and we have no herd immunity and no vaccine to limit its impact. Even it's just a fraction more inherently transmissible and more deadly and then add in to the fact its brand new and we can't stop it as a species. It can exponentially kill hundreds of thousands of people if there is no intervention as compared to the statistical number of flu victims of 30-50K a year.
If the standard flu was brand new to civilization just as covid-19 was which would kill more.

Jefferson said many things about a variety of subjects in his life. It's possible to find a Jefferson quote that supports either side on numerous issues.

As to the above quote--using it is disingenuous at the least. Anyone with any power of logic knows that this is not a binary question. There are many options that fall between "dangerous freedom" and "peaceful slavery". And right now, we have to do the best we can to find the right option.

I don’t believe a think you’re typing

No it doesn't. The only thing that could've helped mitigate the spread early on was the immediate and complete shutdown of international travel. But it wouldn't have mattered because it was already here. The Chernobyl that is NYC is 100% on DeBlasio and it's residents.

Do you what else would have helped mitigate the spread early on? A little planning by 45 and having tests readily available. South Korea was testing 40,000 a day in March. US was doing 3,000 a week. We lost a whole month.
Or not disbanding the pandemic response team. Why pay professionals when you can have your son in law do it for free.
COVID 19 in NYC is our fault? The pork processing plant in SD that closed down is the workers fault as well?

That's not what I was saying.

Trump will have to live and/or die with his handling of things.

But I'll just say that I'm a bit of China's government conspiracy theorist on this. I know that makes me a raging racist in today's world, I'll have to live with that one.
You think China released this virus on the world to diminish Trump's chances of reelection?

I feel like there are easier, cheaper, and more effective ways to electioneer.

If you want to tell me that China is recklessly sweeping cases under the rug and their reported number of cases/deaths is a bogus number, then sure, I'll go all in. If you want to tell me that this virus exploded because the Chinese and world (esp. American) government didn't cooperate early on, and much of that blame is on China, then I'm very aligned. If you want to tell me that China's military developed this virus and it escaped a lab somewhere in Wuhan, then I don't buy it, but I won't call you crazy. If you think that China is playing games in an election year to influence an election, then you're nuts. These viruses happen on a regular basis (from 2002-2019 off the top of my head: SARS1, Bird Flu, MERS, H1N1, Zika, Ebola, Yarvirus, and COVID). It would be hard for at least one to NOT land in an election year. The factors that make this one unique are that it's not lethal enough to slow its own spread (Ebola), it's symptoms are delayed/muted enough (in some people) to make it very hard to know who has it and when they have it (unlike many of the viruses I listed earlier), and the virus' affects are significant enough in enough of the population to be a huge problem (unlike a cold, etc.). A virus with that unfortunate combination of traits was and still is an eventuality. It was (and still is for the future) not a matter of "if," but "when." The above was then exacerbated when our federal government was somehow surprised when one of one very predictable thing happened, which is irrelevant to whether or not it was an election year.

Do you what else would have helped mitigate the spread early on? A little planning by 45 and having tests readily available. South Korea was testing 40,000 a day in March. US was doing 3,000 a week. We lost a whole month.
Or not disbanding the pandemic response team. Why pay professionals when you can have your son in law do it for free.
COVID 19 in NYC is our fault? The pork processing plant in SD that closed down is the workers fault as well?

Agreed.

Also, 45 told people not to worry about it and denied the virus' existence. It's kind of hard to get people to take a health crisis seriously when the president is actively telling them to not take it seriously (which, depending on the day, he's still doing).

The painfully awful CDC response and complete breakdown of a federally-facilitated supply chain also hurt, as did trying to start a trade war with medical supplies mid-virus, no effective federal coordination of state responses, a failure to mobilize the private sector in a timely fashion (and honestly, there are still obvious and effective levers that haven't been pulled), pushing voodoo and/or unproven science as cures (daylight stops the virus, an untested drug stops the virus, warm weather stops the virus, etc.), not doing anything to stop the supply run that's still happening despite known solutions to runs that have been implemented in this country since 1933, and so on have also exacerbated the issue.

There is absolutely blame on the part of NYC's government and residents (as there is with anyone who doesn't take this threat seriously), but Trump is far and away the most to blame. He has the biggest responsibility for the nation's health, and he has done more damage than anyone but the guy who thought that eating bat soup was a good idea.

No it doesn't. The only thing that could've helped mitigate the spread early on was the immediate and complete shutdown of international travel. But it wouldn't have mattered because it was already here. The Chernobyl that is NYC is 100% on DeBlasio and it's residents.
Tell that to the countries with effective central governments. They disagree, as does the virus.

Conspiracy theories invented facts aside, there is a mountain of things that we could have done (and could have not done) that would have helped not spread the virus and/or mitigate the virus' impact beyond closing borders.

Closing borders did buy time, and the federal government (Trump administration) should absolutely get credit for that foresight, but then that time was absolutely wasted then the spread of the virus was absolutely exacerbated by a shocking level of (obvious) mismanagement.

There is plenty of blame on NYC, but any of their sins are dwarfed by those of the federal government.

It is hard to believe this got out by accident. These are the most advanced labs in the world and I'm sure the methodology for working with these pathogens is very rigorous. The people and generals who oversee these labs know the danger they are dealing with.

Don’t mistake how labs are run in the US with how China runs them. That’s like comparing how we build and operate nuclear reactors with how Russia does.

We can't wait for a vaccine to resume life. We can't even come up with a vaccine for the flu or HIV.
The fact is, there may never be a vaccine. Herd immunity and treatment is the best way to move forward.

Don’t mistake how labs are run in the US with how China runs them. That’s like comparing how we build and operate nuclear reactors with how Russia does.
I believe it's an act of assymetrical war which will shortly lead to a kinetic war.

We can't wait for a vaccine to resume life. We can't even come up with a vaccine for the flu or HIV.
The fact is, there may never be a vaccine. Herd immunity and treatment is the best way to move forward.
There are numerous doctors on the internet giving testimonials as to the effecacy of HCQ. It costs about the same as aspirin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom