Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!!

there are 3 players on the Spurs who have took less money

No one's taken that much of a cut though. I think something in the vicinity of 5 years/100 million would be fair both sides.

I do agree with Alsacs that the free agent market is looking very iffy next year for the Knicks to add anyone who could put them over the top.

$35 -$45 million? I don't think so.

Did I say it was that much. I said it was less money which it was. Carmelo wants the max deal, go right ahead, just dont bitch about not having any pieces around either.

Wish Melo the best of luck with his future and all the money he's going to be earn, but highly doubt he'll ever come close to winning a title. Like myself and a few others said, he should have discounted the $$$ issue and played for a title at Chi-town. He's not a spring chicken any more.

Wish Melo the best of luck with his future and all the money he's going to be earn, but highly doubt he'll ever come close to winning a title. Like myself and a few others said, he should have discounted the $$$ issue and played for a title at Chi-town. He's not a spring chicken any more.
Knick Legend >a title as an aging bull (which there's no guarantee he gets anyway)

Deano said:

I have no idea why people are jumping to this conclusion. Phil will make moves, team has more of a chance with Melo than without, we have no idea what kind of coach Fisher will be.

So much of the horrible past gets handed to the new coach and GM - undeservedly so.

If Melo takes 24 million a season and the Knicks keep the remaining 13 million for 2015 on the books. That is 37 million for 4 player assume the salary cap goes from 63 to 70 million next year and that is a huge jump. The Knicks would have only 33 million to add 8-10 guys. 33 million doesn't allow the Knicks much room and that is assuming the cap jumps 7 million. Melo taking 23 million is just a killer it's the fact even though he deserves the money the damn owners really stuck it to the players with cost certainty.

If Melo takes 24 million a season and the Knicks keep the remaining 13 million for 2015 on the books. That is 37 million for 4 player assume the salary cap goes from 63 to 70 million next year and that is a huge jump. The Knicks would have only 33 million to add 8-10 guys. 33 million doesn't allow the Knicks much room and that is assuming the cap jumps 7 million. Melo taking 23 million is just a killer it's the fact even though he deserves the money the damn owners really stuck it to the players with cost certainty.

7 million is a huge jump for sure, probbaly more like 4.

I think your money is a little off too, if Melo is at $23, you still have JR at 6.4, Calderon at 7.4, plus Prigioni at 1.7. That's about $38.5 million, plus a qualifying offer for Shump at $4 million, bringing you to around $42.5. You could decline that, but it really makes no sense. They have team options on Hardaway and Larkin for $3 million total, plus the cap holds. You're probably just shy of $50 million committed. If the cap is roughly $67 million, you're talking about $17 million in cap space, not really enough to make a max offer.

Some of those salaries you can make go away, but you'd either need to attach assets or replace a good player if you let him walk. My sense is that people really seem to be overestimating the amount of cap space the Knicks have for next summer. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could make enough space to sign a max FA, but that's if there is one out there they really like.

Lebron is only taking a 2 yr deal because the NBA TV rights expire in 2 years and revenue will go up then and because he would be eligible for the Rose rule extensions at that time because he has 4 MVPs and is only 29 and still in his prime.
Carmelo will take the 5 year deal but I bet he will demand an opt out so if he is still good in 3 yrs he could get another extension.

Lebron is only taking a 2 yr deal because the NBA TV rights expire in 2 years and revenue will go up then and because he would be eligible for the Rose rule extensions at that time because he has 4 MVPs and is only 29 and still in his prime.
Carmelo will take the 5 year deal but I bet he will demand an opt out so if he is still good in 3 yrs he could get another extension.

All reports are he's signing for 5 years, some have said there's an opt out. There probably will be.

Melo's contract will be for 5years $122 million. He just killed the Knicks cap for the next couple of years.

Melo's contract will be for 5years $122 million. He just killed the Knicks cap for the next couple of years.

No he didn't. He only killed it if you need to sign three max stars for your strategy.

Knicks are/were never doing that.

Plus once '16-'17 hits after the new media deal is signed, it will make even less of an impact because the cap will be significantly increased.

Knicks have one year to start working on the new system. Amare and Bargs come off the books after that. They also actually have a first round draft pick as well.

What were they going to do if Melo didn't re-sign? If your whole strategy is "sign Durant", you are already a lost cause.

They held onto a top 10 player in the league. That's a great start. The got Calderon. Great move. They had Cleanthony Early fall into their laps amazingly.

And Melo isn't going to take a huge payout during his prime earning years. That's ridiculous. The Knicks are worth billions. It's ridiculous that superstars are being underpaid while guys like Gordon Hayward make absurd money relative to their talents.

I'm pumped. Knicks stay relevant and can start to build towards Phil's vision.

No he didn't. He only killed it if you need to sign three max stars for your strategy.

Plus once '16-'17 hits after the new media deal is signed, it will make even less of an impact because the cap will be significantly increased.

Knicks have one year to start working on the new system. Amare and Bargs come off the books after that. They also actually have a first round draft pick as well.

What were they going to do if Melo didn't re-sign? If your whole strategy is "sign Durant", you are already a lost cause.

They held onto a top 10 player in the league. That's a great start. The got Calderon. Great move. They had Cleanthony Early fall into their laps amazingly.

And Melo isn't going to take a huge payout during his prime earning years. That's ridiculous. The Knicks are worth billions. It's ridiculous that superstars are being underpaid while guys like Gordon Hayward make absurd money relative to their talents.

Yeah, three max players isn't the only way to field a competitive team. In fact, it has a huge opportunity cost in terms of what it means for the rest of your roster. The Knicks will likely add another all-star type player after this season, then the rest comes down to scouting, player development, and smart moves from the front office.

Agreed with everything here except the bit about Cleanthony. Regardless of what the guys on ESPN had to say regarding him, he was projected as a 2nd round pick the whole year, jumped into 1st round consideration after the Kentucky game, but settled back in again as a 2nd round guy. Heck, DraftExpress or DeanOnDraft would have considered him a slight reach where New York got him. If I'm not mistaken, DeanOnDraft didn't think he should have been drafted at all.

I wouldn't go as far as Dean, but it bugs me that his pick was perceived as someone that miraculously fell to New York when he really went about where he was expected to go.

The bolded point is totally fair, but due to the salary cap, it basically doesn't matter. If there's no cap, then I don't really care what the Knicks spend on Melo, or anyone else. It's why them signing Phil for $12 million a year or paying Larry Brown $25 million to coach the team to 24 wins or whatever it was for one season didn't bother me. It's just Dolan's money, he's got more than he'll ever need.

But the team does need to work within the framework of the cap. I haven't seen the details, but I assume Melo is basically on 22 or 23 the next 2 years; and he's gonna end up near 27 or 28. $28 million to a 34 year old Anthony is gonna be too much money. Hopefully they can put together a team around him prior to that.

In fact, it has a huge opportunity cost in terms of what it means for the rest of your roster. The Knicks will likely add another all-star type player after this season,

This may be semantics, but I'm not sure how likely it is. They're projected for about $17 million in cap space, they could for su re carve out more money if they had to. Gasol would be awesome, that's probably the best case scenario, right? Aldridge has already said he's planning on sign an extension next summer. We'll see if Love gets traded.

My one worry is that it just seems like the general idea is the Knicks have some cap space next summer and they have Phil, so stars will just magically appear on the roster.

Unless your Lebron James or maybe Kevin Durant nobody is worth MAX money. These salary caps in the NBA have really killed franchise building. The owners have suppressed the players so much how this 2011 CBA and its why the NBAPA should find new leadership and opt out after the 2017 season. Make a deal with owners NO MAX contracts in exchange for a franchise tag at a level of the top 5 players in the NBA salaries and each season its used the player gets a 20% increase the following season.

Melo is worth a big salary but taking the huge salary kills the Knicks cap space. Banking on the cap jumping drastically in 3 years means your going to be mediocre for the next 3 years and hope for cap space then. Phil Jackson can't just add players without the cap.

Knicks411 said:
The bolded point is totally fair, but due to the salary cap, it basically doesn't matter. If there's no cap, then I don't really care what the Knicks spend on Melo, or anyone else. It's why them signing Phil for $12 million a year or paying Larry Brown $25 million to coach the team to 24 wins or whatever it was for one season didn't bother me. It's just Dolan's money, he's got more than he'll ever need. But the team does need to work within the framework of the cap. I haven't seen the details, but I assume Melo is basically on 22 or 23 the next 2 years; and he's gonna end up near 27 or 28. $28 million to a 34 year old Anthony is gonna be too much money. Hopefully they can put together a team around him prior to that. This may be semantics, but I'm not sure how likely it is. They're projected for about $17 million in cap space, they could for su re carve out more money if they had to. Gasol would be awesome, that's probably the best case scenario, right? Aldridge has already said he's planning on sign an extension next summer. We'll see if Love gets traded. My one worry is that it just seems like the general idea is the Knicks have some cap space next summer and they have Phil, so stars will just magically appear on the roster.

They have Phil and Melo. A 1st round pick next season, expiring contracts this season. Also MSG and NY.

If Fisher shows he can coach, Melo takes to the triangle, and the Kicks make some noise? Why wouldn't a big name want to play here in 15? Knicks are tending up right now - and I think with every win and smart move by Phil - by next summer MSG will be very desirable place to play. Marc Gasol, anyone?

Alsacs said:
Unless your Lebron James or maybe Kevin Durant nobody is worth MAX money. These salary caps in the NBA have really killed franchise building. The owners have suppressed the players so much how this 2011 CBA and its why the NBAPA should find new leadership and opt out after the 2017 season. Make a deal with owners NO MAX contracts in exchange for a franchise tag at a level of the top 5 players in the NBA salaries and each season its used the player gets a 20% increase the following season. Melo is worth a big salary but taking the huge salary kills the Knicks cap space. Banking on the cap jumping drastically in 3 years means your going to be mediocre for the next 3 years and hope for cap space then. Phil Jackson can't just add players without the cap.

Problem is that strictly speaking - Carmelo is worth more to Dolan than what he can get in the salary cap era. Just like LeBron, Durant, etc. All-Stars that are box office (turn the turn styles) are way underpaid.

The current collective bargaining agreement is good for the owners pocketbooks and bad for team building and bad for great players.

The Knicks will have cap space, just not necessarily oodles of cap space. JR does have a player option for 2016, I gu ess it's possible with a good year he opts out and gives them more room. But they're most likely sitting on somewhere shy of $20 million next year. That's pretty close to max space. But also pending what happens next summer, they could have a ton of cap space in 2016 as well. (Not just saying that for Durant) Especially if the cap goes up anywhere near what people are expecting with the new tv deal.

They have Phil and Melo. A 1st round pick next season, expiring contracts this season. Also MSG and NY.

If Fisher shows he can coach, Melo takes to the triangle, and the Kicks make some noise? Why wouldn't a big name want to play here in 15? Knicks are tending up right now - and I think with every win and smart move by Phil - by next summer MSG will be very desirable place to play. Marc Gasol, anyone?
How are the Knicks trending up? They added Calderon and rookie head coach who has never coached anything. That is a lot of optimism rather than fact. Gasol could get more than 17 million in a max deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom