mlb floating "arizona plan" | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

mlb floating "arizona plan"

No idea what is true, just based on discussions with people who know people and how billion dollar companies tend to work.. Maybe all the MLB teams are sitting on billions of untapped monies. The only fact we really know for sure is that the players want to be paid at 100% of games played when revenues will be at 30%. Now maybe the 30% is enough to cover that cost but its doubtful.. But if it is and you are an owner do you want players to know that and ask for 2-3x more in salary every yr? Because the only way the owners get more money top stay rich is to increase costs someplace else thats from US.

nope dont care about them or the players.. just want baseball and the billionaire owner didnt make his money on baseball most of the time. Now if you think he should be paying the players out of his own pocket then thats a different story, but the teams are not sitting on a billion dollars. team and owner are 2 different buckets of money.
Should the money an owner makes from partial ownership of the regional sports network be part of the bucket?

should the owners money from every other business be part of his bucket too?

But if it is and you are an owner do you want players to know that and ask for 2-3x more in salary every yr? Because the only way the owners get more money top stay rich is to increase costs someplace else thats from US.
Right owner-greed is okay. Player greed is not. Sounds good.

you cant seem to split owner greed from his team vs owner greed from his business life.

in a reg job how many make an avg salary vs the top.. in a sport 95% of the teams workers makes normal money, the players make way way way more than almost every other person in the business, Its not even clear the owners make huge amounts of money since its team money but maybe they do.

sports are its own animal.. somewhat like the movie business.

My thoughts (as if anyone cares)

I do have some sympathy for the ownership side. Maybe it's because I am coming at it more from the NBA (and other sports side) where the CBA dictates each side gets X% of the revenue; revenues are clearly going to be down, so the players shouldn't get a prorated amount.

BUT

The players basically called the owners bluff, and they backed off, which is weak and I don't like it. And I am also sympathetic to the idea that most of these teams have prospered for years (in part because the union won't agree to a revenue split and they're getting like 42% or whatever it is) so the owners should probably just suck it up and take the losses this year.

Should the money an owner makes from partial ownership of the regional sports network be part of the bucket?

I've been reading a ton of articles about the Mets attempted sale, and I have to laugh every time someone parrots the line from ownership that the Mets lose $50 million a year. When you funnel a lot of the tv money from SNY away from the team, maybe!

My thoughts (as if anyone cares)

I do have some sympathy for the ownership side. Maybe it's because I am coming at it more from the NBA (and other sports side) where the CBA dictates each side gets X% of the revenue; revenues are clearly going to be down, so the players shouldn't get a prorated amount.

BUT

The players basically called the owners bluff, and they backed off, which is weak and I don't like it. And I am also sympathetic to the idea that most of these teams have prospered for years (in part because the union won't agree to a revenue split and they're getting like 42% or whatever it is) so the owners should probably just suck it up and take the losses this year.

I've been reading a ton of articles about the Mets attempted sale, and I have to laugh every time someone parrots the line from ownership that the Mets lose $50 million a year. When you funnel a lot of the tv money from SNY away from the team, maybe!
When you own the network which broadcasts most games and don’t have to share that revenue with the other teams which is now baseball functions then you can charge yourself whatever you want and lose money.

It’s not hard to figure this out.
If the owners opened their books and showed why they needed players to help them out I would support the owners.

In the NBA 5 random teams each year have to hand over the books to the NBAPA to inspect the revenues. It’s not hard to do. MLB doesn’t want to do that because of the regional TV contracts.

Because they are the same

You have owners like the Lerners who made their fortune in real estate, and have pretty much treated their team in a similar manner, never going to overpay for assets and will search for and find value in other areas as offsets. And won't pay for past success. Smart, cold but smart.

The Wilpons meanwhile... (and some other owners just seem to throw money away, seems more ego than anything else).

should the owners money from every other business be part of his bucket too?
Depends on what the business is. If an owner made their fortune in real estate or Wal-Mart what does that have to do with baseball?

Looks like the NL is going to get the DH for the 2020 and 2021 seasons if a deal is made.
Then in the new CBA it would become permanent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom