mlb floating "arizona plan" | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

mlb floating "arizona plan"

Cough cough The wilpons cough.
The wilpons lost and threw away 2.5 BILLION from Cohen because they wanted to make sure Jeff had a job for 5 years and they wanted to keep SNY.

now they will get less than half that and had to throw in SNY.

this will be studied in business schools for 100s of years.

I would hope the other 29 owners don’t give them a second of their time to weigh in on this.

The wilpons lost and threw away 2.5 BILLION from Cohen because they wanted to make sure Jeff had a job for 5 years and they wanted to keep SNY.

now they will get less than half that and had to throw in SNY.

this will be studied in business schools for 100s of years.

I would hope the other 29 owners don’t give them a second of their time to weigh in on this.
The wilpons are dopes I hope Cohen buys the Mets for a lot less than he originally offered and sticks it to those clowns. Esp jeffy that parasite.

but in reality it isnt the same.. if they pay the same amount of salary out over a smaller set of games its better/worse and in different ways for the owners.. expenses change but salary costs are the same. for them its better to play more games and pay the same amount just on tv revenue. both sides want what is best for them and care less about the sport.

but in reality it isnt the same.. if they pay the same amount of salary out over a smaller set of games its better/worse and in different ways for the owners.. expenses change but salary costs are the same. for them its better to play more games and pay the same amount just on tv revenue. both sides want what is best for them and care less about the sport.
The best thing for the sport would be for the owners to honor the agreement they made three months ago.

if fans were in the stands.. thats not happening, whatever number you think ticket/concession/parking revenue is its not zero.

The owners want the players to lessen their losses.
If the owners don’t want to pay the players their full prorated salaries then they should all open their books and show the players how they lose.

The owners want the players to give them a discount without proving they need it.

It’s just easy to see in plain light.
NESN/YES/SNY/Cubs channel/Sportsnet LA are cashcows for their teams to cook their books.

Open those books up and I am sure the owners would get the players to take their offer if it backed up their math.

Right now it’s the owners basically saying give us a discount because cmon.

so should i be asking my bosses for the same thing because I took a pay cut already and might be seeing a 2nd one soon and I am not making 3 million a yr like Bees with his 2 yachts that Cuserunner sold him.

so should i be asking my bosses for the same thing because I took a pay cut already and might be seeing a 2nd one soon and I am not making 3 million a yr like Bees with his 2 yachts that Cuserunner sold him.
If your skill set is as scarce as a Major League Baseball player’s and your workplace is collectively bargained, then you should.

Last edited:
If your bosses were billionaires who you and your co-workers have increased the value of his business by ten fold the last decade then maybe you shouldn’t take a pay cut.
Also the business you likely took a pay cut at could have gone out of business because of cash flow concerns. Baseball isn’t in jeopardy of going out of business.

These billionaires are using a pandemic to try and adjust their CBA. It’s garbage.

if fans were in the stands.. thats not happening, whatever number you think ticket/concession/parking revenue is its not zero.

The owners would definitely take a (one time) income reduction based on ticket sales/concessions/parking.

But what’s the deal with the TV contracts, which I believe is where their bread is really buttered? Are they being prorated? I thought I read that the players asked this and weren’t given an answer.

What about other expenses? Scouts, management, office personnel. Were they furloughed, pay cut, etc?

If this is all about the tickets/concessions/parking, they should be able to survive that hit, especially if not doing it will hurt future income based on a reputation hit for the sport.

Makes me wonder if the owners are unanimous. And if so, if that’s just lip service. I think MLBPA has them by the balls on this one.

2 parts here.. yeah if an owner sells the team he probably makes money on the back end.. so he should lose money on the front end?

say every team makes 200 million in profits every yr, what ever that number is. and they will lose 100 million or some number this yr. where does the money come from to make up the 300 million this yr. The owner isnt using his own money to cover it and the teams are not sitting on that 200 million every yr and banking it, they spend it on the team

TV has to be pro-rated you would think.. the colleges had the same issue and are taking big hits from no games, Would the pro contracts be any different?

Colleges are in the same boat. many have big endowements, but they cant touch it to solve the short term cash issues.

We want small mom and pops to pay people in this situation or put the them on unemployment and but we want big companies to pay millionaires their same salaries because the owners have money?

if teams were rolling in money they wouldnt have just eliminated 100s of minor league teams cause there would be no reason to hurt the sport at the grass root level.

I’m confused. All this haggling back and forth, and in the end the owners can just set the schedule the way they want to? And the players are going to come? So we’re getting a season?

I’m confused. All this haggling back and forth, and in the end the owners can just set the schedule the way they want to? And the players are going to come? So we’re getting a season?
Owners want an expanded postseason. They need PA to sign off on any changes to postseason or a universal DH. Which MLB wants to implement.

MLB makes most of their TV from postseason so expanding that would give them a chance to make more money.
The owners have to pay the players their prorated salaries without an agreement with changes for this season.
The problem is the owners can determine how many games they play this year.
The owners only Want to pay the players for the equivalent of 48 games.

That is what this season is likely going to be.
The owners are using this pandemic to try and break the MLBPA.

2 parts here.. yeah if an owner sells the team he probably makes money on the back end.. so he should lose money on the front end?
Owners are unwilling to open their books (the real ones that include all of their mlb-related businesses) to provide evidence that they are losing money. The players should take their word for it?

When times are good, owners are unwilling to share revenue evenly. When times are bad, they expect players to share equally in the losses.

but if you own it for 30 yrs or forever you never get back that money.

say every team makes 200 million in profits every yr, what ever that number is. and they will lose 100 million or some number this yr. where does the money come from to make up the 300 million this yr. The owner isnt using his own money to cover it and the teams are not sitting on that 200 million every yr and banking it, they spend it on the team

TV has to be pro-rated you would think.. the colleges had the same issue and are taking big hits from no games, Would the pro contracts be any different?

Colleges are in the same boat. many have big endowements, but they cant touch it to solve the short term cash issues.

We want small mom and pops to pay people in this situation or put the them on unemployment and but we want big companies to pay millionaires their same salaries because the owners have money?

if teams were rolling in money they wouldnt have just eliminated 100s of minor league teams cause there would be no reason to hurt the sport at the grass root level.

If the owners are going to lose money and they’re not ok with that, then stand firm.

If the players want prorated salaries then stand firm.

Either the commissioner makes a determination on a season or we’ll see you all in 2021. We’re halfway thru June, I’ve made it this far, I’m past the point of caring.

No one has access to the financials so we don’t know. Sometimes the answer is a stalemate.

If the owners are going to lose money and they’re not ok with that, then stand firm.

If the players want prorated salaries then stand firm.

Either the commissioner makes a determination on a season or we’ll see you all in 2021. We’re halfway thru June, I’ve made it this far, I’m past the point of caring.

No one has access to the financials so we don’t know. Sometimes the answer is a stalemate.
Mlb can't afford to sit out this year esp with the pandemic. They got bailed out in 94 not sure they can catch lightning again.

The owners are so poor.
I hope baseball goes away for a long time.

The owners are so poor.
I hope baseball goes away for a long time.
I hope it doesn't, but I'm tired of the charade that the owners lose money, but there's zero shortage of people tripping over each other to buy a team. The gains aren't necessarily in the year over year revenues (but they probably certainly do not lose money), but they absolutely clean up when it comes time to sell.

The only thing that forcing the players to play a shortened 50 game season accomplishes is that it sets up a tremendously ugly labor dispute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom