Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you live in NY I don’t think that would go anywhere. And we have more protections then most states.

True. What I wanted to say I’d do to my boss wouldn’t be kosher, so I went with lawsuit.

True. What I wanted to say I’d do to my boss wouldn’t be kosher, so I went with lawsuit.

There are plenty of Gtown and UConn fans to save that more deserving than said boss.

Last edited:
If you live in NY I don’t think that would go anywhere. And we have more protections then most states.
Absent a contract, NY is an at-will employment state.

Assuming you haven't read the whole thing. It does not say what you were hoping it did.

I almost posted this just to point that out.. but why bother... predictable lol. This is what someone who doesn't understand living in poverty would post as well as someone googling for headlines.
Calm down. I’m not going fight with you about this. You said dirt poor. Dirt poor is Haiti. Get on a different soapbox.

Calm down. I’m not going fight with you about this. You said dirt poor. Dirt poor is Haiti. Get on a different soapbox.

Touche. Given your usual schtick... plus an useless nitpick.. it's fair game.

“Most of Europe” is doing a lot of work. I’m sure Alabama has a better standard of living than Serbia, Russia and Belarus. Doubt it has a higher standard of living than Scandinavian countries, Switzerland, Benelux, etc.

Honestly, trying to compare standard of living between states is tough; between countries it’s even harder. First, standard of living is typically measured using gross domestic product (GDP) per capita. If you have significant wealth disparities that will tend to lead to a number which is…questionable. It certainly doesn’t relate to anything tied to an average citizens actual “standard of living”. Not to mention that a state is really big (except for Delaware or Rhode Island which are basically counties) - how a standard of living for a state which includes New York City or Huntsville actually relates to an actual state resident not living in those areas is debatable. (I’ll ignore the fact GDP as a measure of anything related to the real world is insane; there are so many issues with it the fact we lean on it as much as we do to assess the economy is astounding to me).

Having lived in both New York and Alabama, my general feel is they are more similar than the typical New Yorker would be willing to admit. In the US - as finance capitalism displaced manufacturing capitalism, wealth congregated in large cities and smaller towns and rural America has suffered. Mid-size cities saw wealth move to suburbs - Birmingham, AL or Rochester, NY are less-than-desirable, but both have some very wealthy suburbs. If we’re capable of being honest, there are huge swaths of the US that are now no-go zones - I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive through areas in both states that looked like Brazilian favellas.

The big takeaway though is people in the northeast really need to stop looking down on most of the rest of the country - it’s a provincial attitude that contributes to the divisiveness that permeates our culture today.

Honestly, trying to compare standard of living between states is tough; between countries it’s even harder. First, standard of living is typically measured using gross domestic product (GDP) per capita. If you have significant wealth disparities that will tend to lead to a number which is…questionable. It certainly doesn’t relate to anything tied to an average citizens actual “standard of living”. Not to mention that a state is really big (except for Delaware or Rhode Island which are basically counties) - how a standard of living for a state which includes New York City or Huntsville actually relates to an actual state resident not living in those areas is debatable. (I’ll ignore the fact GDP as a measure of anything related to the real world is insane; there are so many issues with it the fact we lean on it as much as we do to assess the economy is astounding to me).

Having lived in both New York and Alabama, my general feel is they are more similar than the typical New Yorker would be willing to admit. In the US - as finance capitalism displaced manufacturing capitalism, wealth congregated in large cities and smaller towns and rural America has suffered. Mid-size cities saw wealth move to suburbs - Birmingham, AL or Rochester, NY are less-than-desirable, but both have some very wealthy suburbs. If we’re capable of being honest, there are huge swaths of the US that are now no-go zones - I’ve been unfortunate enough to drive through areas in both states that looked like Brazilian favellas.

The big takeaway though is people in the northeast really need to stop looking down on most of the rest of the country - it’s a provincial attitude that contributes to the divisiveness that permeates our culture today.

So it's basically city vs rural more than state vs state. I'm from a very rural area, grew up on a poor farm and even in town we were looked down upon despite it being a small town. Poorer states due struggle from their over versions of corruption and favoritism based on income class or stature in the community. It's a problem all around the country and one that is elevated in southern states given the money and stature given to large schools and employers.

It's a problem in State college, and a problem in Tuscaloosa as two examples N/S. I don't look down on anyone in Alabama- haven't lived there but spent many a work trip across the state in numerous communities and have two good HS friends that live there. So it's more about the leadership and spending of those states as a figure compared to the economic struggles faced in general per capita vs others. As someone in housing I feel that all this money spent on and towards collegiate sports is excessive compared to community investment economic expansion in harder hit communities. Just to be clear it's not a knock on the south. My wife's roots are TN and LA so trust me when I say you won't find me beating up the good people down there. Leadership though... yeah.

Provincial attitudes in the northeast are the problem? Are you sure you’ve ever actually been to the south? Ever done it with New York plates?

Did not think I would be running into a geo-socio-economic back and forth between Europe, southern US and the NE US and whose wrong/right discussion. Oh YeAh! JuSt wHaT I WaS hOpInG tO sEe WhEn I cLiCkeD tHe ThReAd. SWEET! I am going to grab a chipwich. Tell me when the fun is over.

Did not think I would be running into a geo-socio-economic back and forth between Europe, southern US and the NE US and whose wrong/right discussion. Oh YeAh! JuSt wHaT I WaS hOpInG tO sEe WhEn I cLiCkeD tHe ThReAd. SWEET! I am going to grab a chipwich. Tell me when the fun is over.
Would you rather discuss the current team?

Gave you a like for the chipwich usage.

If they lose 1st weekend anyone think the prosecutor might change their mind and decide to charge him with something?

“Most of Europe” is doing a lot of work. I’m sure Alabama has a better standard of living than Serbia, Russia and Belarus. Doubt it has a higher standard of living than Scandinavian countries, Switzerland, Benelux, etc.
You clearly haven’t been to Homewood, Hoover, or Mountain Brook. And suburbs of Huntsville.
Sure there are nasty areas in Alabama, but there’s a reason why people have fled the rust belt and upstate New York.

So it's basically city vs rural more than state vs state. I'm from a very rural area, grew up on a poor farm and even in town we were looked down upon despite it being a small town. Poorer states due struggle from their over versions of corruption and favoritism based on income class or stature in the community. It's a problem all around the country and one that is elevated in southern states given the money and stature given to large schools and employers.

It's a problem in State college, and a problem in Tuscaloosa as two examples N/S. I don't look down on anyone in Alabama- haven't lived there but spent many a work trip across the state in numerous communities and have two good HS friends that live there. So it's more about the leadership and spending of those states as a figure compared to the economic struggles faced in general per capita vs others. As someone in housing I feel that all this money spent on and towards collegiate sports is excessive compared to community investment economic expansion in harder hit communities. Just to be clear it's not a knock on the south. My wife's roots are TN and LA so trust me when I say you won't find me beating up the good people down there. Leadership though... yeah.
When I talk about standard of living, I’m not just talking about money.

Theres a reason my aunt studied obesity in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, and less so in New York where she lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom