NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 170 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

gonna be rough to heard that Street Clothes label Chuck dropped him until next year

Since the first round went to a best-of-7 format in 2003, there’s only been one season without a Game 7 in the first round (2011). Looks like 2021 will be the second.

Since the first round went to a best-of-7 format in 2003, there’s only been one season without a Game 7 in the first round (2011). Looks like 2021 will be the second.

Trying to reverse jinx the Clips?

No, they’re definitely going to lose.
Silver will be pulling every string possible to make sure it goes 7 haha

Silver will be pulling every string possible to make sure it goes 7 haha
Nah. The second round starts Saturday. They have no need to prolong the inevitable.

For sure. Everything is a small sample size here but it seems too obvious for there not to have been some effect on those teams.

This tweet indirectly opens up the sample size a little bit but with testing the opposite logic.

Also makes it more difficult for Miami, Boston, and the Lakers to get a true sense of what changes need to be made to their roster this offseason. What were the real flaws and what were just ripple effects of all the injuries.

This tweet indirectly opens up the sample size a little bit but with testing the opposite logic.

Also makes it more difficult for Miami, Boston, and the Lakers to get a true sense of what changes need to be made to their roster this offseason. What were the real flaws and what were just ripple effects of all the injuries.

This argument doesn't really make sense considering if you looked at the prior year, all of the teams that made deep runs in 2019 failed to make a "deep run" in 2020. In fact, going back to 2015, 3 of the 4 semifinalists fail to make a deep playoff run the following year on average and that's precisely where we're at now (depending on if Denver wins the next series or not). In fact, the only teams that have made deep playoff runs in consecutive seasons during that span are Golden State, Cleveland, and Boston did it once.

A lot of this also just boils down to matchups in the playoffs. If you made it to the semifinals one year and then got matched up on Golden State's side of the bracket the following year, you were pretty much guaranteed to fail to make a deep playoff run lol. Likewise with Cleveland in the East.

Meh... only the Lakers are mildly surprising.

Knicks were the little engine that could of the Playoffs.

Boston matched up with a newly formed super team that didn’t exist last year.

Memphis isn’t good.

Portland is Dame and trash.

Wizards... lol

Who thinks Miami losing to Milwaukee is bubble hangover??... and not just that Milwaukee is way better.

It took the Heat 3 months to start playing good basketball. The Lakers were a MASH unit. Both teams had like month and a half off. That’s absurd.

I absolutely believe going deep in the bubble hurt teams (Celtics, Denver included) from an injury, performance and consequently seeding perspective. It’s not an excuse, it is what it is, but I think it was a factor. NBA had to have those xmas games tho!

This argument doesn't really make sense considering if you looked at the prior year, all of the teams that made deep runs in 2019 failed to make a "deep run" in 2020. In fact, going back to 2015, 3 of the 4 semifinalists fail to make a deep playoff run the following year on average and that's precisely where we're at now (depending on if Denver wins the next series or not). In fact, the only teams that have made deep playoff runs in consecutive seasons during that span are Golden State, Cleveland, and Boston did it once.

A lot of this also just boils down to matchups in the playoffs. If you made it to the semifinals one year and then got matched up on Golden State's side of the bracket the following year, you were pretty much guaranteed to fail to make a deep playoff run lol. Likewise with Cleveland in the East.

I think the broader point was all the injuries suffered by teams throughout the year who went deepest in the bubble then had disappointing seasons this year. You referencing past years is tough to comment on without knowing if the drop off was caused by roster changes or injuries and guys missing time.

They had a relatively short offseason and then the modified schedule this season seemed to take its toll on guys. Then when guys miss time it of course impacts seeding. Not so much that Miami losing to Milwaukee is a surprise.

Miami - struggled with injuries and a lot of guys missing time all year long.

Lakers - AD kept saying he couldn’t get his body right all year and of course missing a ton of time. LeBron missed a lot of time and was obviously not himself in the playoffs. Of the 6 lakers rotation players still around from last year 4 were significantly impacted by injuries in this series. Cost them quite a bit in seeding and then AD got hurt in G4 and that was that.

Celtics- injuries all year scattered across different guys ending up with Brown out and them being seeded low. Obviously Brooklyn was better but they couldn’t seem to get a rhythm all year.

Denver - lost Murray and others to injury but beat Portland.

Like I said before, maybe it’s just a coincidence. I think that when the players say both the bubble and the modified schedule this year took its toll and then the teams deepest in the bubble seem to all be “off” or dealing with injuries there’s probably a connection.

Meh... only the Lakers are mildly surprising.

Knicks were the little engine that could of the Playoffs.

Boston matched up with a newly formed super team that didn’t exist last year.

Memphis isn’t good.

Portland is Dame and trash.

Wizards... lol

Who thinks Miami losing to Milwaukee is bubble hangover??... and not just that Milwaukee is way better.

I’m not really commenting on the winners from each series, more so that the teams who went deep in the bubble all had injuries and disappointing seasons for the most part. Though I do think injuries and not being able to find a rhythm cost teams with seeding and tough match ups early on.

I think the broader point was all the injuries suffered by teams throughout the year who went deepest in the bubble then had disappointing seasons this year. You referencing past years is tough to comment on without knowing if the drop off was caused by roster changes or injuries and guys missing time.

They had a relatively short offseason and then the modified schedule this season seemed to take its toll on guys. Then when guys miss time it of course impacts seeding. Not so much that Miami losing to Milwaukee is a surprise.

Miami - struggled with injuries and a lot of guys missing time all year long.

Lakers - AD kept saying he couldn’t get his body right all year and of course missing a ton of time. LeBron missed a lot of time and was obviously not himself in the playoffs. Of the 6 lakers rotation players still around from last year 4 were significantly impacted by injuries in this series. Cost them quite a bit in seeding and then AD got hurt in G4 and that was that.

Celtics- injuries all year scattered across different guys ending up with Brown out and them being seeded low. Obviously Brooklyn was better but they couldn’t seem to get a rhythm all year.

Denver - lost Murray and others to injury but beat Portland.

Like I said before, maybe it’s just a coincidence. I think that when the players say both the bubble and the modified schedule this year took its toll and then the teams deepest in the bubble seem to all be “off” or dealing with injuries there’s probably a connection.
Miami - Butler and Herro missed the same amount of time as usual for them, Oladipo hasn't been healthy in years, Dragic played about as much as you'd expect from him, likewise with Bam. They don't seem to have really been impacted by injuries any more than usual.

Lakers - Lebron played a little less than his usual self since joining the Lakers; not really too shocking considering his age and he hasn't exactly been a stranger to injuries since joining the Lakers. Davis missed more time than usual and he's obviously a huge part of the team. The rest basically played their usual amount of games/didn't miss significant time.

Boston - Brown played the same number of games as he did the prior year; obviously unfortunate timing for his injury though. Kemba hasn't really been healthy since day 1 with the Celtics. They did have some bad luck with other guys though.

Denver - Murray's injury was obviously a big deal. Monte Morris struggled with injuries for the first time. That was basically the only two though. Barton missed his usual amounts of time. And Jokic literally played every single game despite often being criticized of not being fit and also pushing through a deep playoff run last year. Porter looked healthier than ever.

I understand the logic that the shortened offseason could potentially lead to more injuries and stuff, but it doesn't really seem like these teams suffered much more than you'd generally expect an average team to.

The competitive imbalance in the NBA is striking.

Bronsexuals are already talking themselves into the Lakers getting Dame. No offense to the intelligent ones, but it’s these kind of opinions that drive me absolutely nuts.

Miami - Butler and Herro missed the same amount of time as usual for them, Oladipo hasn't been healthy in years, Dragic played about as much as you'd expect from him, likewise with Bam. They don't seem to have really been impacted by injuries any more than usual.

Lakers - Lebron played a little less than his usual self since joining the Lakers; not really too shocking considering his age and he hasn't exactly been a stranger to injuries since joining the Lakers. Davis missed more time than usual and he's obviously a huge part of the team. The rest basically played their usual amount of games/didn't miss significant time.

Boston - Brown played the same number of games as he did the prior year; obviously unfortunate timing for his injury though. Kemba hasn't really been healthy since day 1 with the Celtics. They did have some bad luck with other guys though.

Denver - Murray's injury was obviously a big deal. Monte Morris struggled with injuries for the first time. That was basically the only two though. Barton missed his usual amounts of time. And Jokic literally played every single game despite often being criticized of not being fit and also pushing through a deep playoff run last year. Porter looked healthier than ever.

I understand the logic that the shortened offseason could potentially lead to more injuries and stuff, but it doesn't really seem like these teams suffered much more than you'd generally expect an average team to.

Some of this sounded surprising and I thought maybe I was just way off so I looked it up quick.

Miami - Butler missed 6 more games this year than last year, Dragic missed 9 more games than last year, Bam missed 8 more games than last year, Herro was about the same though. VO wasn’t in the bubble with them last year so I didn’t look.

Kemba missed 13 more games than last year. Smart missed 12 more games. Brown needed surgery and is out 3 months, regardless of if it happened in mid May or January.

Those are big jumps for a 72 game season.

Lakers - AD we agree and I’ll concede that Bron can be chalked up to freak accident/getting older. Didn’t really look at rest of roster.

Denver - Murray tore his acl and Morris missed 26 more games. That’s 2 of the 6 rotation guys that returned from last year.

And I think it’s noteworthy that this seems to be tilted towards teams main players who had heavy workloads in the bubble and/or regular season this year.

Very satisfied with the teams left in the playoffs. Finally getting some new blood. I know it’s not good for casuals, but the final four especially in the West is going to be extremely entertaining.
A lot of newbies. None of the last 9 champions. And if Dallas loses it goes back much further.

Some of this sounded surprising and I thought maybe I was just way off so I looked it up quick.

Miami - Butler missed 6 more games this year than last year, Dragic missed 9 more games than last year, Bam missed 8 more games than last year, Herro was about the same though. VO wasn’t in the bubble with them last year so I didn’t look.

Kemba missed 13 more games than last year. Smart missed 12 more games. Brown needed surgery and is out 3 months, regardless of if it happened in mid May or January.

Those are big jumps for a 72 game season.

Lakers - AD we agree and I’ll concede that Bron can be chalked up to freak accident/getting older. Didn’t really look at rest of roster.

Denver - Murray tore his acl and Morris missed 26 more games. That’s 2 of the 6 rotation guys that returned from last year.

And I think it’s noteworthy that this seems to be tilted towards teams main players who had heavy workloads in the bubble and/or regular season this year.
I think we pretty much agree on the other three, but re: Miami.

Dragic's last 3 years: 36/82 games, 59/73, and then 50/72 this year.
Butler's last 4 years: 59/82, 65/82, 58/73, 52/72
Basically par for the course for them.

Bam missed 8 games this year. I wouldn't really say that's alarming. I don't really buy that they were impacted by injuries any more than they'd usually expect to be/more than most teams. And they were roughly just as good as they were the year before and better than they were the year before that.

Like I said, Boston had some bad luck. Denver had a pretty healthy season but the two that did get hurt are both major contributors. LA and Miami weren't really anything out of the ordinary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom