NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

What was going on towards the end of the game with Chris Paul berating his teammate and screaming "get him out!" I couldn't quite figure it out.

What was going on towards the end of the game with Chris Paul berating his teammate and screaming "get him out!" I couldn't quite figure it out.

I couldn't either, who or what was he so pissed off about? Was it his horrible shooting? I doubt it. CP3 only going to play 3-4 more games before he gets hurt again anyway.

A few random takeaways from the games this weekend

1) Offensive rebounding! The league average Offensive rebounding rate as 24% this year. (The all time low was 22.2% in the 20-21 season; this has been a steady trend down over the history of the league). Lakers had a 35.6% Oreb rate yesterday in a game that was close until the very last minutes, Kings were 40.4% in a game they won by 3, Knicks were 42.3% and basically sealed the game with them. The clippers were "only" 29.1%, but that really was the story of the last few minutes, they had a 51 second possession in the final minute of the game.
2) The fifth guy. Both the Cavs and the Suns, who have great 4 man units, really struggled to find someone who could function as the 5th guy. Also true, but to a lesser extent, with the Grizzlies.

A few random takeaways from the games this weekend

1) Offensive rebounding! The league average Offensive rebounding rate as 24% this year. (The all time low was 22.2% in the 20-21 season; this has been a steady trend down over the history of the league). Lakers had a 35.6% Oreb rate yesterday in a game that was close until the very last minutes, Kings were 40.4% in a game they won by 3, Knicks were 42.3% and basically sealed the game with them. The clippers were "only" 29.1%, but that really was the story of the last few minutes, they had a 51 second possession in the final minute of the game.
2) The fifth guy. Both the Cavs and the Suns, who have great 4 man units, really struggled to find someone who could function as the 5th guy. Also true, but to a lesser extent, with the Grizzlies.

I mean if you are going to have a 5th guy that just sits in the corner on offense and the defense basically ignores he better be a hell of defender and rebounder, all they can really do is crash the glass on offense. It's essentially 4 on 5 and that is/was always the concern with the Suns and the Cavs lack of wings who were exposed by the Knicks

Yeah. Lot of talk about the charge rules and pushing out the charge circle coming for sure.

It's definitely a concern with how the game today revolves around highlight reel dunks and posterizing the defender. Regardless Morant is going to need to tone it down a little in this area, he's reckless here for sure. I don't see how you can remove the charge call though either, it's part of the game.

I don't like Gobert but he and Jared Allen seem to be the only two in the NBA that will go up and contest these type shots and yeah sometimes they wind up getting dunked on but so be it. I respect them both for that.

I would’ve had a hard time not dropping him in the locker room, if I was that teammate and that’s really what Paul was doing.

I kind of wish the first round would go back to Best of 5. It created so much excitement if the road team stole one of the first two games. And now, if the #1 seed goes up 3-0, do we really have to play this thing out and play Game 4?

I kind of wish the first round would go back to Best of 5. It created so much excitement if the road team stole one of the first two games. And now, if the #1 seed goes up 3-0, do we really have to play this thing out and play Game 4?
I understand that point.

But on the other hand, I think round 1 might be my favorite time because there’s a playoff game on all night long every evening, so I kinda want that to last as long as possible.

It's definitely a concern with how the game today revolves around highlight reel dunks and posterizing the defender. Regardless Morant is going to need to tone it down a little in this area, he's reckless here for sure. I don't see how you can remove the charge call though either, it's part of the game.

I don't like Gobert but he and Jared Allen seem to be the only two in the NBA that will go up and contest these type shots and yeah sometimes they wind up getting dunked on but so be it. I respect them both for that.
The Bucks would obviously benefit from this more than pretty much anyone, but I’m not really sold on it personally.

The idea I’ve seen thrown around a lot (aside from just making the restricted circle larger) has been to ban help defenders from drawing charges, so plays where for example Giannis just runs over his man, that would still be a charge. But plays where someone tries to slide in at the last second would not be.

Idk how I feel about it really. I hate how often people undercut one another because it’s incredibly dangerous, but I’m also nervous that getting rid of it would make defense even more impossible than it already is.

The charge in the NBA is fine. It's not college. At some point it's on the offensive player to come to a jump stop for a pullup jumper.
Yup. Just because a guy jumps really high doesn’t mean the rules have to be changed for him.

He goes flying in there, throwing his body recklessly into everyone, thinking he can just out athlete everyone all the time.

It wasn’t there that time. He created the contact, and got himself hurt. Gotta learn to pick your spots and recognize when it’s not there.

The Bucks would obviously benefit from this more than pretty much anyone, but I’m not really sold on it personally.

The idea I’ve seen thrown around a lot (aside from just making the restricted circle larger) has been to ban help defenders from drawing charges, so plays where for example Giannis just runs over his man, that would still be a charge. But plays where someone tries to slide in at the last second would not be.

Idk how I feel about it really. I hate how often people undercut one another because it’s incredibly dangerous, but I’m also nervous that getting rid of it would make defense even more impossible than it already is.
I've long been a believer that the secondary defender doesn't have the right to space.

They have to try and make a play on the ball.

I think its a few things:

1) The analytics wave made threes way more important. But it also made points at the rim really important as well. So outside of a handful of dudes that love them some mid range, a lot of guys are attacking with ferociousness.

2) I just don't think it's being called correctly. I feel like if you are there a beat, then you get the charge call. But people have mastered sliding in at the last second and being frozen. That's a lot of pressure on the refs, but it really feels like this rears it's head in the playoffs when you have the best of the best on offense.

I don't know what the solve is, maybe extend the restricted area out more. Maybe give more leeway to those guys that you note like Gobert and Allen in terms of "verticality" allowance... I'm not sure.

I will say I think flopping is a much larger issue for my personal enjoyment of basketball. It reads its ugly head on some of these charges too but it’s a lot more widespread than just offensive fouls.

I can see both sides of the argument. Guys shouldn’t be able to put their heads down and plow into the lane without fear of penalty, but I also think too many defenders are rewarded for sliding into the path of an offensive player and getting the call.

Is there any data out there on what the split is between charges and blocks called on that secondary defender. IMO it should be called a block at minimum 75% of the time.

I think its a few things:

1) The analytics wave made threes way more important. But it also made points at the rim really important as well. So outside of a handful of dudes that love them some mid range, a lot of guys are attacking with ferociousness.

Right, and also, if everyone is so focused on shooting 3's and spreading the court, that naturally opens up more space in the paint to drive. You can watch games from the 90s where like 8 or 9 players (if not all 10!) are inside the 3 point line. Hard to get a big head of steam and attack the basket

That makes me angry. What a trash human being.
I hate him but what an awesome heel in the WWF sense of the word. It’s great for the NBA to have this stooge doing what he does. It’s great for creating hatred between teams that don’t really have much of a rivalry despite proximity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom