NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 155 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Klay is getting older and had two major injuries. Is Poole just bad? He might be! Not a good sign as he starts that mega extension. At least he has a good relationship with all his teammates
Poole seems like the modern day Leandro Barbosa.

I don’t think the drop off from Mitch to Vuc would be as big of a step back on defense as you think. Mitch seems to have a rep as a good defender but he really isn’t. I mean he got toasted in the post by freaking Kyle Lowry last night. Mitch and Vuc both had a defensive rating of 109.5 this season. On the offensive side of the ball, it literally isn’t close. One guy averaged 18 ppg on 52% from the field while the other guy I wouldn’t trust holding the ball outside of a foot from the rim. 4 on 5 on offense for 30 mpg isn’t gonna win in this league.

I think we just disagree on Mitch then. I think he's a good defensive player. I think Vuc is pretty awful.

When Vuc was on the court this season, the Bulls were in the 36th percentile in FG% allowed at the rim (lower is worse) and the 46th percentile in frequency of attempts allowed at the rim. The Knicks were in the 74th percentile in FG% allowed at the rim with Mitch on the court and 46th in frequency. So they allowed the same amount of rim shots but Mitch was much better at guarding the rim.

Vuc basically strikes me as a good stats fraud as a player. The kind of guy the Knicks would've wanted to ge in the past because he can score. Which is probably not totally fair. But I don't think it's too far off the mark. The Bulls have played better with him off the court in each of the last 2 seasons.

The Bulls defensive rating was 115.3 with Vuc on the court and 107.1 with him off the court. He was definitely hurting their defense a lot.

Klay is getting older and had two major injuries. Is Poole just bad? He might be! Not a good sign as he starts that mega extension. At least he has a good relationship with all his teammates
Poole is an excellent player when he plays fundamentally smart basketball. Him trying to be Steph 2.0 is where he gets himself in trouble.

I think we just disagree on Mitch then. I think he's a good defensive player. I think Vuc is pretty awful.

When Vuc was on the court this season, the Bulls were in the 36th percentile in FG% allowed at the rim (lower is worse) and the 46th percentile in frequency of attempts allowed at the rim. The Knicks were in the 74th percentile in FG% allowed at the rim with Mitch on the court and 46th in frequency. So they allowed the same amount of rim shots but Mitch was much better at guarding the rim.

Vuc basically strikes me as a good stats fraud as a player. The kind of guy the Knicks would've wanted to ge in the past because he can score. Which is probably not totally fair. But I don't think it's too far off the mark. The Bulls have played better with him off the court in each of the last 2 seasons.

The Bulls defensive rating was 115.3 with Vuc on the court and 107.1 with him off the court. He was definitely hurting their defense a lot.

All valid points, but they both had the same defensive rating in 22/23 so there must be other factors at play as to their defense with and without him on the court. Even so, I'm willing to sacrifice some defense to get guys out on the court that aren't an absolute liability on offense. His presence on offense clogs the lane up immensely and renders the pick and roll virtually worthless.

I think there's a wide gap between considering him overpaid vs. being a legitimately bad basketball player. He took a step back this season and still scored nearly 25 points per 36 minutes on good efficiency and showed decent playmaking skills too.

It's hard for me to even say he needs to rein his shot selection in considering how efficient he is, but it's pretty easy to envision him as a 60+% TS% guy on good volume if he did get a little more selective.

He inarguably had a poor postseason though and in a perfect world, you'd like to see him play a bit harder on defense but he's good enough offensively that it might not matter that much.

I don't know; I think he's someone I'd be taking a long look at as a potential buy-low candidate this offseason. I'd probably give up pretty much any combination of Milwaukee's bench guys for him this offseason if we could and I'd probably be open to some sort of Middleton for Poole + other assets kind of move (though I tend to think Milwaukee will be bringing Middleton back).

Another one bites the dust. The NBA is crazy. The owners listen to the players too much. Maybe Dolan has the right idea. Sell out the home games and make money. Everything else is secondary. See if he keeps Thibs one more year.

I think there's a wide gap between considering him overpaid vs. being a legitimately bad basketball player. He took a step back this season and still scored nearly 25 points per 36 minutes on good efficiency and showed decent playmaking skills too.

It's hard for me to even say he needs to rein his shot selection in considering how efficient he is, but it's pretty easy to envision him as a 60+% TS% guy on good volume if he did get a little more selective.

He inarguably had a poor postseason though and in a perfect world, you'd like to see him play a bit harder on defense but he's good enough offensively that it might not matter that much.

I don't know; I think he's someone I'd be taking a long look at as a potential buy-low candidate this offseason. I'd probably give up pretty much any combination of Milwaukee's bench guys for him this offseason if we could and I'd probably be open to some sort of Middleton for Poole + other assets kind of move (though I tend to think Milwaukee will be bringing Middleton back).

I mean I probably went a little overboard. I am under the impression though his defense is a complete nightmare.

That might not be a terrible fit on the Bucks, they could probably hide his defensive issues very well. (assuming Brook is back)

All valid points, but they both had the same defensive rating in 22/23 so there must be other factors at play as to their defense with and without him on the court. Even so, I'm willing to sacrifice some defense to get guys out on the court that aren't an absolute liability on offense. His presence on offense clogs the lane up immensely and renders the pick and roll virtually worthless.

The Knicks had a 121.8 offensive rating this year with Mitch on the floor, which is fantastic. So it's not like in general he was hurting their offense. But I do agree everything gets magnified in the playoffs and the court was especially cramped in the last series.

I think Vuc would be a very bad decision. I saw Ian O'Connor was saying he is betting on KAT being on the Knicks. That's a similar idea, but KAT is a much better offensive player than Vuc. I don't really think that is the answer either. I will admit it's a lot easier to say things aren't good ideas than to come up with good ideas myself.

The Knicks had a 121.8 offensive rating this year with Mitch on the floor, which is fantastic. So it's not like in general he was hurting their offense. But I do agree everything gets magnified in the playoffs and the court was especially cramped in the last series.

I think Vuc would be a very bad decision. I saw Ian O'Connor was saying he is betting on KAT being on the Knicks. That's a similar idea, but KAT is a much better offensive player than Vuc. I don't really think that is the answer either. I will admit it's a lot easier to say things aren't good ideas than to come up with good ideas myself.
If adding KAT meant losing Randle I would take that trade in a heartbeat even if it means losing Mitch. KAT would solve some of the spacing issues this team has. They would still need a starter at the 2 and shooting off the bench beyond Quickley.

Would KAT come to the Knicks if thibs is coach? Didn’t work so well in Minnesota.

If adding KAT meant losing Randle I would take that trade in a heartbeat even if it means losing Mitch. KAT would solve some of the spacing issues this team has. They would still need a starter at the 2 and shooting off the bench beyond Quickley.

Would KAT come to the Knicks if thibs is coach? Didn’t work so well in Minnesota.
I don't think Robinson is going to Minnesota if Gobert is there. Although, always possibility of three way trade.

Like you said, KAT will help, but they almost need to blow up the team or find a coach who is capable of properly using these role players around Brunson.

Knicks could have had a Mitchell/Brunson backcourt, and still could in a couple years, but chose to overvalue some of their players.

Sadly, Knicks "fans" damage reputation and Randle's already fragile psyche as a Knick:
Although 2nd round was over-achieving and a big improvement, need to revise the roster for next season.
I'd trade Randle rather than risk him regressing from All-Star play again next season.
I'd also sacrifice the D/rebounding and trade injury-prone Mitch. Knicks offense needs more weapons.
Rose needs to improve a roster overly-dependent on the great Brunson to carry the day.

Klay has a good season actually, but the playoffs was pretty rough minus couple of games

I get a bit conflicted on Zeke. He seems sleazy and disingenuous, but in the Bad Boys ESPN retrospective, he stepped right into the flack Rodman had created about Bird being just another player if he was black, to turn all the attention to himself, and off of a young, naive, Rodman. Very astute and selfless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom