NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

So you miss out on Mitchell... what's the plan to get better? I'm guessing you're not confident in where they are right now.

It's a fair question and my response is probably going to kinda suck.

But also, where is Mitchell going? Part of it is me thinking we have a chance to hold the line and still get him without totally giving everything up. Who else is out there who is going to give a better package than what we have already offered? Seems like partially a game of chicken to me.

They def need to get a star. It seems unlikely that's going to come internally. (And if a guy like RJ takes the next step like his stans on twitter think; great, but they'd still need another guy!) They still have as much to offer for a star as anyone else does (probably, right?) So yeah, the plan is likely a lot of waiting for someone else to demand a trade, watching Julius Randle throw up a ton of bricked 18 footers and wishing Obi was playing more.

It's a fair question and my response is probably going to kinda suck.

But also, where is Mitchell going? Part of it is me thinking we have a chance to hold the line and still get him without totally giving everything up. Who else is out there who is going to give a better package than what we have already offered? Seems like partially a game of chicken to me.

They def need to get a star. It seems unlikely that's going to come internally. (And if a guy like RJ takes the next step like his stans on twitter think; great, but they'd still need another guy!) They still have as much to offer for a star as anyone else does (probably, right?) So yeah, the plan is likely a lot of waiting for someone else to demand a trade, watching Julius Randle throw up a ton of bricked 18 footers and wishing Obi was playing more.
It's just pretty rare for the stars to align for the Knicks to actually get their difference-making guy. One draft pick holds that all up. I don't know, that's rough.

I do think the Jazz will have other trade options and opportunities for good deals - there's just a manifest destiny to the Knicks that it hasn't made sense to fight unless things really grind down. Young stars with years on their deal don't pop up often. Asset rich franchises that may be ready to push their chips in and compete like NO or OKC might be willing to shoot their shot. I think the Heat are still lurking. I wonder now that Durant is settled what other teams might get bold.

It's just pretty rare for the stars to align for the Knicks to actually get their difference-making guy. One draft pick holds that all up. I don't know, that's rough.

I do think the Jazz will have other trade options and opportunities for good deals - there's just a manifest destiny to the Knicks that it hasn't made sense to fight unless things really grind down. Young stars with years on their deal don't pop up often. Asset rich franchises that may be ready to push their chips in and compete like NO or OKC might be willing to shoot their shot. I think the Heat are still lurking. I wonder now that Durant is settled what other teams might get bold.

The heat for instance can only trade 2 of their own futures ones. The Knicks can easily cover them.

OKC is a super interesting one; as a disinterested observer I would love to see them make a push for him.

You make very good points re: Mitchell, but I guess I would also argue the Knicks are already reported to be making a pretty huge offer! 2 unprotected ones, 3 other ones, and I think a young player as well?

Don’t get how teams let their guys play in these wonk festivals. Millions of dollars in investments and you risk yourself for what

Don’t get how teams let their guys play in these wonk festivals. Millions of dollars in investments and you risk yourself for what

Somewhere on here is a few posts by me about Holmgren's potential for injuries and not seeing how some teams supposedly had him as a better prospect than Banchero. This injury could have nothing to do with his slight frame and I wish him a long and illustrious professional career because I do like him as a player, but I just didn't see him as a number one pick. It does suck and it's amazing that some franchises just have no luck.

Sucks.

That obviously sucks for Chet, but I see the potential for a blessing in disguise. He gets a year to work on his body and put on 15-20 lbs hopefully. OKC will probably suck next year, and get another Top 3ish pick. And then in two years they are in a solid position to make the playoffs with much more talent.

Really unfortunate for Chet. Was looking forward to watching him for sure.

The old get older.
Kick the can down the road. Assembling all these assets Would be great if we were characters on Interview with a Vampire and were immortal

I just remembered that Beverley and Westbrook hate each other.

This is going to be fun.

So apparently the Injury to Chet sufferred is a Lis Franc injury . Folks ….I don’t wanna exaggerate for the sake of exaggeration. But this is a baaaaaaaad injury . There is a chance he’s never the same player ever again. Sorry .. just reporting medical facts . These things can be career Enders…

The good news for Chet ? apparently this pro am BS WAS an NBA sanctioned event so he will get every dollar of his contract regardless

Last edited:
Btw .. the Serbia / Greece World Cup qualifier was off the chain

THT for Pat Bev???

Purely on the floor I thought this was a good deal for the Lakers.
I thought THT was overhyped and had limited potential - he could become serviceable for a long time, but these are the type of players that move around every few years for free for a portion of the MLE.

You get a player in Beverly who is better now than THT, and the Lakers are in "win-now" mode. They have no choice. They may well be unsuccessful in winning now, but then you can flip Beverley again at the deadline if need be,

Of course you also need to cheer for an asshat.

Last edited:
Purely on the floor I thought this was a good deal for the Lakers.
I thought THT was overhyped and had limited potential - he could become serviceable for a long time, but these are the type of players that move around every years for free via the MLE.

You get a player in Beverly who is better now than THT, and the Lakers are in "win-now" mode. They have no choice. They may well be unsuccessful in winning now, but then you can flip Beverley again at the deadline if need be,

Of course you also need to cheer for an asshat.
My Lakers friends feel like it's a dumb move because they chose THT over Caruso, and if this was the move they made with THT, would have just rather had Caruso.

My Lakers friends feel like it's a dumb move because they chose THT over Caruso, and if this was the move they made with THT, would have just rather had Caruso.

They are certainly rightthat retaining Caruso would have worked out better.

That being said that was last year and is now a sunk cost. You can only do what is best for your franchise now, and as of this date I think Beverly > THT.

Can somebody remind me as well why the Lakers couldn't retain both of Caruso and THT last year? They had the rights to both of them. Was there some sort of cap rule that came into play when they traded for / or wanted to trade for Westbrook (Hard capped?)

Last edited:
They are certainly rightthat retaining Caruso would have worked out better.

That being said that was last year and is now a sunk cost. You can only do what is best for your franchise now, and as of this date I think Beverly > THT.

Can somebody remind me as well why the Lakers couldn't retain both of Caruso and THT last year? They had the rights to both of them. Was there some sort of cap rule that came into play when they traded for / or wanted to trade for Westbrook (Hard capped?)
Over under on what game into the season AD gets hurt and renders all this moot? I’m setting it at 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom