NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

If you pay for a new arena, you’ll get the all star game.

You’ll also get the TNT guys making fun of your city.
Barkley is great but he is close to becoming a character in some instances. Fine line between slick and schtick.

Next year is Indy, and I was reading Milwaukee is in play for 25. What a run of cities!

I felt like the elam endings the last few years were pretty competitive, am I misremembering that? I seem to remember one year it was really good at the end. But, I am getting old.

I am going through some serious NBA withdrawal right now.
The Bucks owners got the new stadium in part because they sold Wisconsin on them bringing the All Star game to Milwaukee years ago. People have been talking about how they failed on that front already lol.

Re: some of the gimmicks/other parts of All-Star Weekend:
  1. I like the Elam Ending for the most part.
  2. I don't really mind the fact that they don't split across conference lines anymore; I imagine the draft specials and whatnot bring in additional revenue for the league. But personally, I preferred the days where players wore their own team's uniform and just played East vs. West.
  3. The Skills competition is cool in theory but the actual event is lame as hell.
  4. I admittedly don't even really try but I don't really understand why they made the 3 point contest more confusing than simply having one money ball at each location.
  5. My preference for the dunk contest would be to have all-star players participate. Short of that, I'd rather see guys like Mac McClung compete even if he's not really an NBA player rather than guys that are barely noteworthy NBA players and also aren't all that exciting dunking the ball. Like, props to Trey Murphy for giving it a solid effort but he's not really the kinda guy that should ever be competing in a dunk contest, and he was the runner-up. I still can't believe how bad Jerricho Sims was; what could he have possibly been thinking when he started out with the double elbow dunk and followed it up with a single elbow dunk?

Re the Bird/Magic/MJ era, the D played wasn’t nearly as good as it is now and less threes. Also, not nearly the depth of talent as it is now.

I wish they could extend the season but the NBA has looked into the calendar before and they eyeballs aren’t there once they push into the summer anymore. And it’s not just the nba. You don’t want to be airing in July.

Load management thing is huge and the owners will get something in the new CBA to help offset that and tie some component of pay to games.

Silver was a good respite after Stern went overboard, but there is no way these guys would be taking off this much time if Stern was still commish.
I'm really curious to see how the new CBA goes because I feel like there will either be a lockout or owners will have to give something huge in return for getting players to go for that. I'll believe it when I see it.

The Bucks owners got the new stadium in part because they sold Wisconsin on them bringing the All Star game to Milwaukee years ago. People have been talking about how they failed on that front already lol.

2. I don't really mind the fact that they don't split across conference lines anymore; I imagine the draft specials and whatnot bring in additional revenue for the league. But personally, I preferred the days where players wore their own team's uniform and just played East vs. West.
  3. The Skills competition is cool in theory but the actual event is lame as hell.
  4. I admittedly don't even really try but I don't really understand why they made the 3 point contest more confusing than simply having one money ball at each location.
  5. My preference for the dunk contest would be to have all-star players participate. Short of that, I'd rather see guys like Mac McClung compete even if he's not really an NBA player rather than guys that are barely noteworthy NBA players and also aren't all that exciting dunking the ball. Like, props to Trey Murphy for giving it a solid effort but he's not really the kinda guy that should ever be competing in a dunk contest, and he was the runner-up. I still can't believe how bad Jerricho Sims was; what could he have possibly been thinking when he started out with the double elbow dunk and followed it up with a single elbow dunk?

My prediction for Simms before the dunk contest was that he would do three basic tomahawk dunks and then walk out of the arena without showing one iota of emotion. Truth be told, I wasn't that far off.

I'm really curious to see how the new CBA goes because I feel like there will either be a lockout or owners will have to give something huge in return for getting players to go for that. I'll believe it when I see it.
Rest assured, the owners will be ridiculously greedy and awful to the players, and the players will rally around something ridiculously unimportant.

Last edited:
That Iverson/Marbury thing was 20 years ago, and was "somewhat isolated" even for that time which made it special.

There was a lot of bad non intense ASG basketball under Stern's watch.
The NBA never wants a team like those Pistons to win it all, ever again lol.

Didn’t Silver say load management is not an issue

Last edited:

How did you like it when they were drafting the reserves and Giannis enthusiastically picked Ja. Only problem being was that Ja was an All-Star and ineligible to be selected at that point. Everyone got a pretty good laugh out of it. I watched half of the 1st quarter and then fortunately slept through the rest of the game. I know everyone likes Shaq, and he is a great ambassador for the game, but I cannot understand a word he mumbles.

I would be really surprised if there's a lockout. (I know, I know, stupid). They've pushed back the opt out date a few times, which I am taking as a good sign. And they're going to sign a massive tv deal within the next few years. I really dont think (hope maybe a better word) they're gonna screw it up

There are currently seven players averaging over 30 ppg. The most players to average over 30 in a single season post-2000 is three.

Take it back further, per bbref, the most players averaging 30 points a game in any season in league history is 5 from the 61-62 season. Other than that, 3 is the highest total. Funny too, because even just last year, we had one guy average 30 per game. Lebron is right at 30, maybe he drops back. SGA is at 30.8 and Tatum is at 30.8; everyone else is over 31. If SGA and Tatum play every game from here on out, they'd need to average a little over 28 to keep it over 30, so I would imagine we're going to have at least 5, probably 6, if not all 7 guys finish the year at over 30 a game. (Donovan mitchell is 8th at 27.0, so he's not getting to 30. Unless he has a few more 71 point games in him)

Another way to look at it is, prior to this season, there have been 75 different player seasons over 30.0 PPG. If all 7 get there this season, you're talking about an increase of over 9% in one season!

I know he is heavily into the music scene. Is he any good? Does he produce others or just his stuff?
He’s clearly serious about his music career — he’s released four albums & has an indie label — and is at, or near, the top of the list of NBA MCs.

His “beef” with Shaq — arguably the GOAT of NBA rappers — was fun.

Me thinks the Russell Westbrook experiment in Clipperland will work out better than most expect.

He’s clearly serious about his music career — he’s released four albums & has an indie label — and is at, or near, the top of the list of NBA MCs.

His “beef” with Shaq — arguably the GOAT of NBA rappers — was fun.

I don’t know much about the rap scene but Oladipo has a great singing voice(even when wearing a goofy costume).

Me thinks the Russell Westbrook experiment in Clipperland will work out better than most expect.

I like Russ, wish him well, but, after watching the Lakers’ ball movement in the post-Westbrook era, it’s apparent his negatives far outweighed his positives.

The Lakers are a far-better team with the subtraction of Westbrook & addition of Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt, Bamba & Hachimura.

Last edited:
Chris Boucher last night - might have been the longest in game dunk in NBA History according to some things I have seen. Came back to block a 3 point shot for good measure.

To show how intolerable the Raptors board is when we are middling, a few people last night were complaining that it only showed how selfish he and the team is because he did not pass the ball on a 3 on 1. And they were not joking.

I like Russ, wish him well, but, after watching the Lakers’ ball movement in the post-Westbrook era, it’s apparent his negatives far outweighed his positives.

The Lakers are a far-better team with the subtraction of Westbrook & addition of Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt, Bamba & Hachimura.
The Clippers and Lakers are completely different teams. (For starters, the Clips are in 4th place and the Lakers are in 13th.) Westbrook was never a good fit with the Lakers and many of us knew it when the trade happened. Now he’s surrounded by shooters.

And if it doesn’t work out, the Clippers won’t have to worry about paying him $47 million. He’s earning less than Jason Preston.

Russ also isn't a good fit because he wants the ball a lot and he can't shoot. Plus he has a rep so he's going to get more minutes than he deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom