NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

yeah why would the Magic do this.
So usually when a guy gets a second year on a deal like this, if it's guaranteed, it can be used as trade fodder. It works out for the player on the fringe because they for sure get their contract paid, and it gives additional asset flex to the front office beyond just cap room. It might be something like that. MCW (and his agent) and the Magic seem to have had a good relationship for a while now, so maybe that's it.

So usually when a guy gets a second year on a deal like this, if it's guaranteed, it can be used as trade fodder. It works out for the player on the fringe because they for sure get their contract paid, and it gives additional asset flex to the front office beyond just cap room. It might be something like that. MCW (and his agent) and the Magic seem to have had a good relationship for a while now, so maybe that's it.

Or the team option (which this one has, per the tweet at least). If the team finds a trade and they need salary to make it work, they can pick up the option and include the guy in the deal.

Knicks (may) have something like this going on with Derrick Rose. he has a team option for like $15 million next season, there was talk of buying him out, but they haven't. So if they find a trade they like before 7/1 and they need his money, they can exercise the option and use his salary

I feel like Dame is the Maravich/Gervin/Alex English of this generation. An incredibly gifted scorer who probably will never make a Finals where he is currently due to a lack of talent around him.

I was going to say this was a little bit of a disservice to Dame (I get the comp from a player archetype standpoint, but my initial reaction was Dame was a level above all those guys) but I double checked their BBref pages to be sure. I did not realize George Gervin made 5 straight all NBA first teams, with a second team on either side of that streak. 4 straight years in the top 4 of MVP voting too.

George Gervin: better than I thought!

I feel like Dame is the Maravich/Gervin/Alex English of this generation. An incredibly gifted scorer who probably will never make a Finals where he is currently due to a lack of talent around him.
And I’ll have more respect for him if he stays with his team his whole career than guys who superteamed up and won it all, or who ring chased at the end of their career and won.

Fight back against “ringzzzz” culture. Stick with YOUR team.

I was going to say this was a little bit of a disservice to Dame (I get the comp from a player archetype standpoint, but my initial reaction was Dame was a level above all those guys) but I double checked their BBref pages to be sure. I did not realize George Gervin made 5 straight all NBA first teams, with a second team on either side of that streak. 4 straight years in the top 4 of MVP voting too.

That’s what people will say about Dame in 30 years.

So… point 100% made!

The Ice Man was fantastic and I hold him in high regard and even I was kind of thinking the same. Nice to see what you found here.

The Ice Man was fantastic and I hold him in high regard and even I was kind of thinking the same. Nice to see what you found here.
Hard to compare eras, numbers, etc. -----eye test having watched both - Gervin > Dame.

Don't look now, but the Knicks are 6-0 with Josh Hart...
I love watching Josh Hart. Plays hard, great rebounder, defends, just enough shooting and offense where you can't just leave him alone and loves to antagonize just enough to get under the oppositions skin. Great guy to have on your team. I believe he has a player's option at the end of this year which I have to imagine if he keeps playing like this he will probably waive.

When he was in New Orleans he was one of the most visible players in town. very approachable. Out to dinner with his now wife quite a bit. Good dude. Was waiting for a table one night and he was with his parents, extremely nice people. Will always root for him.

My friend said that Zion “dresses like he’s playing a jealous ex-boyfriend on ‘Living Single’”, and I thought it was too funny not to share.

Oh that's good.

I love watching Josh Hart. Plays hard, great rebounder, defends, just enough shooting and offense where you can't just leave him alone and loves to antagonize just enough to get under the oppositions skin. Great guy to have on your team. I believe he has a player's option at the end of this year which I have to imagine if he keeps playing like this he will probably waive.

When he was in New Orleans he was one of the most visible players in town. very approachable. Out to dinner with his now wife quite a bit. Good dude. Was waiting for a table one night and he was with his parents, extremely nice people. Will always root for him.
Was one of my favorite Lakers when we had him.

I was about to post this, but the Knicks are kinda...good? Still going to be a dog to win even one playoff round, but they seem to legit be a totally reasonably good team.

They at least seem to have the pieces/rotation set that actually makes sense and has created a good deal of chemistry. As you say, it'll probably still be impressive if they can even win one playoff series, but I'd imagine they will be a tough out (unless they put forth a similar playoff performance of a couple years ago).

He's definitely one of those "glue" guys that really just does it all. Smart, instinctual player willing to muck it up while also having some skill. There's a reason he's been on the floor in crunch time over RJ a couple times.

I was messing around on stathead. I found this hilarious

There are 111 players in the NBA who have qualified for the MPG/Leaderboard. (Not sure the qualifications, I'm just using what BBref has).

Of those 111 players, Russell Westbrook as the highest (worst) TO% at 18.3, and the 4th worst true shooting%, at 50.2%. Just a stunning combination of ineptitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom