NC State got robbed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NC State got robbed

this is what happens when your 25-0. You get a lot of breaks. Having said that, our bench is pathetic and will cost us in March. You cant play five guys 20 a night this late in the season
Good post...but who are the other five guys playing in your scenario?

this is what happens when your 25-0. You get a lot of breaks. Having said that, our bench is pathetic and will cost us in March. You cant play five guys 20 a night this late in the season

I object to that. Thin? Yes. Weak? Right now, okay. Pathetic? Please.

It would be great if JB understood the concept of fatigue. He never has understood that people get tired. Are the freshman so bad that they can't contribute at all ? Did he recruit so poorly that these guys aren't legit D1 players?
Agreed. Fair hasn't played less than 38 minutes in 2014. Grant hasn't played less than 35 since the win at VTech. Ennis hasn't played less than 35 since the win over UNC. A little of that is due to the loss of Keita, but a lot is just the way JB has chosen to manage his rotation. Gotta get these guys a little rest. With a dumpster team like BC coming to town next week, I hope we can see the horses get a little breather, maybe get Roberson a game where he's on the court for more than a couple possessions (like 8-10 min?), maybe get Gbinije 25 mins off the bench, maybe even an appearance by BJ or Buss. I don't expect to see JB not ride his starters down the stretch for the most part, but he's asked an awful lot of them, it wouldn't kill the team to see some of the reserves play a little more in what should be an easier game.

No, NC State did not get robbed. Did they give one away that they should have won? Yes. But the didn't get "robbed" by a bad call or an absolute freak play anywhere.

No, NC State did not get robbed. Did they give one away that they should have won? Yes. But the didn't get "robbed" by a bad call or an absolute freak play anywhere.
You're over thinking it.

We are 25-0 because we play our best players .. breaks are created with a winning mindset.

wow tough crowd.

we just won a game where our 4 tops guys all arguably played one of their worst games of the season. what does everyone expect? we take everyone's best shot every night, the concept is to win the game, doesn't matter how. we close out games better then any SU team we have ever had. i wouldn't worry too much about this team. we show up when we need to. let's enjoy the ride

You're over thinking it.

No I don't think so. Please point out to me the point in the game in which they got "robbed." Keep in mind robbed means "illegally taken, without color of right, by force or threat of force."

mccoy1.jpg

I don't think they got "robbed." They gave one away, and Syracuse took it. :)

Without the benefit of re-watching the game, it looked to me like we got a lot of calls in the second half. First half, they let both teams play. Second half NcSU got whistled for a lot of things that were not called in the first half. Meanwhile, they didn't call anything on us.

Without the benefit of re-watching the game, it looked to me like we got a lot of calls in the second half. First half, they let both teams play. Second half NcSU got whistled for a lot of things that were not called in the first half. Meanwhile, they didn't call anything on us.

Fair enough, but from what I saw SU didn't foul shooters much. More importantly they didn't "reach in" a lot. And they invariably played from "in position." You can do a lot more on D if you do those two things.

Agreed. Fair hasn't played less than 38 minutes in 2014. Grant hasn't played less than 35 since the win at VTech. Ennis hasn't played less than 35 since the win over UNC. A little of that is due to the loss of Keita, but a lot is just the way JB has chosen to manage his rotation. Gotta get these guys a little rest. With a dumpster team like BC coming to town next week, I hope we can see the horses get a little breather, maybe get Roberson a game where he's on the court for more than a couple possessions (like 8-10 min?), maybe get Gbinije 25 mins off the bench, maybe even an appearance by BJ or Buss. I don't expect to see JB not ride his starters down the stretch for the most part, but he's asked an awful lot of them, it wouldn't kill the team to see some of the reserves play a little more in what should be an easier game.

He did a poor job tonight.

Undeserved hook for Roberson (who shouldn't have made that dribble on the break, but didn't receive a very good pass from Cooney), despite Fair and Grant not having anything on offense.

Unwilling to steadily feed Rakeem when #14 was in the game, despite the fact that Christmas was scoring at will on him.

That was a doughnut team, nothing in the middle, but we were content to have Grant chucking wild shots and Cooney, Ennis, and Fair taking fadeaways.

Great to get a win. Hope we learned something, because Christmas was really the only bright spot. Low level of play by both teams; the better team eked out a win.

plenty2.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D127

Plenty O'Toole is thrown out of the window and lands in the middle of the hotel's swimming pool]

James Bond: [looking down] Exceptionally fine shot.
Slumber Inc. Attendant: I didn't know there was a pool down there.

Fair enough, but from what I saw SU didn't foul shooters much. More importantly they didn't "reach in" a lot. And they invariably played from "in position." You can do a lot more on D if you do those two things.
Agree. I don't think they missed fouls on us. The injustice was the refs change in the 2nd half that NCSU wasn't able to adjust to.

wow tough crowd.

we just won a game where our 4 tops guys all arguably played one of their worst games of the season. what does everyone expect? we take everyone's best shot every night, the concept is to win the game, doesn't matter how. we close out games better then any SU team we have ever had. i wouldn't worry too much about this team. we show up when we need to. let's enjoy the ride

Meh. I'd agree with the "best shot" thing on most nights, but this was an average opponent whose weaknesses play into our strengths (and they didn't even play well tonight). This wasn't like Miami or Pittsburgh or one of those teams that can ugly it up against us. State's undisciplined, mediocre defensively, and usually has two offensive non-entities on the court.

If there was ever an opportunity for a blowout, this was it. A lot of things went wrong for us. (Final score, thankfully, wasn't one of them.)

They weren't better. They lost. But they were a lot better tonight than anyone thought they would be.

No I don't think so. Please point out to me the point in the game in which they got "robbed." Keep in mind robbed means "illegally taken, without color of right, by force or threat of force."

mccoy1.jpg

I don't think they got "robbed." They gave one away, and Syracuse took it. :)
You post that after I said you were over thinking it?

They weren't better. They lost. But they were a lot better tonight than anyone thought they would be.

Yes, I'm thinking they came into this game hoping it would be a little (or a lot) easier than some of the previous games, but it wasn't. Given that mindset, it took a long time and a lot of energy to catch up. Let's face it, NCSt came in with nothing to lose and played hard against the No. 1 team in the country on the road. We better get used to that, although I'd bet tonight sent that message quite clearly.

Roberson is a mystery. Jersey player of the year. Have to believe he'd be starting for a lot of teams right now.

He'll be there, he's (as another poster suggested) just not ready yet. And it's tough to crack the lineup of the no. 1 team in the country with a HOF coach. Especially when they keep pulling off these outrageous finishes.

They were the better team today. If I'm an NC State fan I'm crushed right now. They outplayed us, plain and simple.

As a Syracuse fan though, I'm delighted. We are forcing our way in to this conference. The controversy and close finishes are great. We're the villains. We make great villains.
Not true villians unless we get another year of eligibility for Devo.

Yes I did. But I'm not going to get into a flame war. You think they were robbed. I don't.
My bad no flame war intended. Looks like my phone doeisn't let me add Smiley's to indicate a good natured response.

We finally got some home court advantage the refs did everythign to help us some, but man we just didn't want to win that game. CJ's legs were missing today.

Refs can't be blamed for this one. NC State was not aggressive going to the basket in the second half. We, on the other hand, went at them from the start of the half. We forced them to foul us. They held the ball and shot (and made) some tough baskets. Kind of hard to force some whistles playing like that.

The refs were not a factor. They called Ennis for an offensive foul with 15 secs left. That pretty much rules out favoritism. NC State simply blew their last two possessions, and we capitalized.

My bad no flame war intended. Looks like my phone doeisn't let me add Smiley's to indicate a good natured response.

No sweat, thanks man. Some disagreement is good, I'm sure as heck not always right. :)

Refs can't be blamed for this one. NC State was not aggressive going to the basket in the second half. We, on the other hand, went at them from the start of the half. We forced them to foul us. They held the ball and shot (and made) some tough baskets. Kind of hard to force some whistles playing like that.

The refs were not a factor. They called Ennis for an offensive foul with 15 secs left. That pretty much rules out favoritism. NC State simply blew their last two possessions, and we capitalized.

Some good points CalPete. And the offensive foul on TE was the right call no matter whose jersey you wear. That and the turnover near half court shortly before just shows he's human and beginning to feel the pressure. Which also means he's learning to deal with it. Good grief, he's an 18 year old kid. Either way, win or lose, it's all good. This team is better tonight than they were this morning. And so is TE. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom