NFL Thread - 2019 | Page 124 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread - 2019

What really stunk about that call is that it was the kind of penalty where the ref is going way out of his way to make it. Almost like it was predetermined.

What can you do? The NFL officiating is a joke that seems to determine the outcome of so many games. Just have to hope we get the home cooking this week against Buffalo.

Worst part of that call is it allows people to complain about the Patriots and ignore the fact the Cowboys still had to go 57 yards against a defense they hadn’t scored a TD against the entire game and make the call seem like the reason the game was stolen from them.

Nobody cares the Cowboys D got away with multiple defensive penalties in that game but because one tripping call was made the refs had to give Bob Kraft home games.

Note: I am not saying you are complaining about the refs. But it’s the social media mouth breathers.

Worst part of that call is it allows people to complain about the Patriots and ignore the fact the Cowboys still had to go 57 yards against a defense they hadn’t scored a TD against the entire game and make the call seem like the reason the game was stolen from them.

Nobody cares the Cowboys D got away with multiple defensive penalties in that game but because one tripping call was made the refs had to give Blb Kraft home games.

Nah the game was lost by giving up 10 points on the blocked punt and the int inside the 30. Without those turnovers NE in all likelihood loses because their offense is putrid.

Their have been many people who spun that Goff contract as a bargain.

The Patriots have broken the Falcons and the Rams from their last 2 Super Bowls.
The Wentz contract doesn't look that good either. I think the Eagles have been down some weapons but they should score more than 19 points combined against the Patriots and Seahawks at home.

The NFL has a major OL problem. The athletes on the DL have improved greatly the last decade while quality OL play has gone down hill bigtime.
The NFL needs OTs badly. I can't think of a position of greater need from college than the OT. A lot of busts in the first round on the OL.

The Rams and Falcons have major problems mainly because of their OL (which you noted). It has nothing to do with the Pats. Believe it or not, it's not always about NE.

Worst part of that call for Patriot fans is it allows people to complain about the Patriots and ignore the fact the Cowboys still had to go 57 yards against a defense they hadn’t scored a TD against the entire game and make the call seem like the reason the game was stolen from them.

Nobody cares the Cowboys D got away with multiple defensive penalties in that game but because one tripping call was made the refs had to give Bob Kraft home games.

Note: I am not saying you are complaining about the refs. But it’s the social media mouth breathers.

Fixed that for you. Totally blown call and you're concerned about people complaining about the multitude of calls the Pats seem to get.

Nah the game was lost by giving up 10 points on the blocked punt and the int inside the 30. Without those turnovers NE in all likelihood loses because their offense is putrid.
Fair enough the offense for the Patriots is mediocre when it’s not fully healthy this year.
If they had Sanu/Dorsett to Edelman and actually use James White they have enough to win.
Their OL actually played well against the Cowboys. The running game had been nonexistent but Michele was pretty solid.

The Cowboys played into the Patriots hand though. It was a low possession game because Prescott couldn’t throw so all the runs shortened the half’s and Witten/Cooper were complete non factors. It was shocking the Cowboys didn’t use Zeke more in the passing game.

Fair enough the offense for the Patriots is mediocre when it’s not fully healthy this year.
If they had Sanu/Dorsett to Edelman and actually use James White they have enough to win.
Their OL actually played well against the Cowboys. The running game had been nonexistent but Michele was pretty solid.

The Cowboys played into the Patriots hand though. It was a low possession game because Prescott couldn’t throw so all the runs shortened the half’s and Witten/Cooper were complete non factors. It was shocking the Cowboys didn’t use Zeke more in the passing game.

One team has a coaching staff led by a HC that is certainly the best of this generation and possibly the best of all time.

The other team is led by Jason Garrett and a staff assembled by the owner/gm.

Nothing that happened was a surprise.

Fixed that for you. Totally blown call and you're concerned about people complaining about the multitude of calls the Pats seem to get.
I can cite you calls that have gone against them.
Do we get the blown calls that went against them in that game?
Jones got away with a blatant PI at worst holding call on a 3rd down drive in the second quarter that resulted in a missed FG.
The Cowboys got benefits in this same game but because people complain about everything that goes NE it gets annoying and old.

Because Bob Kraft has to have home playoff games not the team is good.
You realize 1 in 4 Americans believe 9-11 was in an inside job. The Patriots getting all the breaks from the officials is probably a higher number conspiracy.

I can cite you calls that have gone against them.
Do we get the blown calls that went against them in that game?
Jones got away with a blatant PI at worst holding call on a 3rd down drive in the second quarter that resulted in a missed FG.
The Cowboys got benefits in this same game but because people complain about everything that goes NE it gets annoying and old.

Because Bob Kraft has to have home playoff games not the team is good.
You realize 1 in 4 Americans believe 9-11 was in an inside job. The Patriots getting all the breaks from the officials is probably a higher number conspiracy.

Everyone like to take shots at the king. Be it the current Patriots, the 90's Cowboys, the 80's Niners or the 70's Steelers.

It comes with the territory and their is no point in getting bent out of shape over it. Just enjoy the run while you can.

The Rams and Falcons have major problems mainly because of their OL (which you noted). It has nothing to do with the Pats. Believe it or not, it's not always about NE.

Meh. Goff has been the worst QB in the league for a month. If that was Mayfield people would rip him. He threw no touchdowns and has had 5 interceptions/4 fumbles in November.

What really stunk about that call is that it was the kind of penalty where the ref is going way out of his way to make it. Almost like it was predetermined that one way or another a call was going to be made.

Weekly Conf Call (nothing in writing):

"Ok, now I'm going to turn the call over to Bill for his diagnosis of where we can get away with some things this week as usual"

"Hi team, so we've recognized that Cowboys line plays with a wide base, could be an oppty for some tripping calls. Also, we've recognized some gaps in their punt protection; we're gonna hold here and widen that C gap, so you just make sure you're looking the other way at the snap; finally, they run a lot of rubs with their WRs, we do too, but you can always kill a big unexpected play with that late flag"

"Thanks Bill, we got it"

"Thanks Guys, see ya on the field...and safe travels Roger"

Wait a second...

You pulling a 180 on this stance now?

1A1E11CB-77ED-4344-94D0-4CF61273A9A6.jpeg

The NFL has a major OL problem. The athletes on the DL have improved greatly the last decade while quality OL play has gone down hill bigtime.
The NFL needs OTs badly. I can't think of a position of greater need from college than the OT. A lot of busts in the first round on the OL.

This is the result of letting defensive backs mug WRs and the subjective idiocy of PI.

It used to be illegal for a DB to have an arm on a WR while attempting to go across the WR's body to knock down a pass. Now a DB can rest his arm on the WR's waist while reaching from behind to knock away a pass.

It's done every week and never called (happened both ways in the Pats/Cowboys game).

Part of Belichick's genius was coaching his DBs to push the boundaries of contact downfield.

The NFL had to step in and make defensive holding a point of emphasis for officiating as a result. More subjective stupidity for humans to screw up.

The NFL should make it very simple. Any contact initiated by a DB on a WR after 3 yards past the LOS (or insert appropriate yardage buffer here) is automatic PI from the spot and first down. If the WR puts his hands on a DB first, then no PI.

Touch a WR before the ball hits his hands, PI. Don't care if you're looking back at the ball or not. Wanna touch a WR? Get to the ball first (without running through the WR)

Forget defensive holding and other BS. Just make it simple for the officials. Defenses will adjust

Scoring will most likely increase and the game is taken out of officials' hands.

Replay is made very clear and simple. No contact, pick up the flag. Any contact, call is upheld.

What really stunk about that call is that it was the kind of penalty where the ref is going way out of his way to make it. Almost like it was predetermined that one way or another a call was going to be made.

Offensive tripping was called 10 times in 2018. Six of those flags were on OLs (3-RBs, 1-TE).

It was never called more than once in any game.

Offensive tripping had been called 4 times leading up to that game (all called on OLs).

I'm still trying to figure out if it's better to have your team screwed by phantom calls or blown non-calls.

Offensive tripping was called 10 times in 2018. Six of those flags were on OLs (3-RBs, 1-TE).

It was never called more than once in any game.

Offensive tripping had been called 4 times leading up to that game (all called on OLs).

I'm still trying to figure out if it's better to have your team screwed by phantom calls or blown non-calls.
Belichick obviously watched game film of the Dallas OL.
He probably sent a notice to the league office and officials to look out for Dallas OL tripping other players on stunts.

So the officials were probably on awareness to look for it and called sketchy calls they shouldn’t have.
Every coach except Garrett does this.

Belichick obviously watched game film of the Dallas OL.
He probably sent a notice to the league office and officials to look out for Dallas OL tripping other players on stunts.

So the officials were probably on awareness to look for it and called sketchy calls they shouldn’t have.

Absolutely.

Another reason he's the best coach in football.

But neither of those specific instances was tripping.

You know a call was blown when the retired official in the broadcast booth calls it out.

Those dudes usually use any possible tidbit to justify why the guy on the field made a call.

When Mike Pereira says both calls were wrong then they must've been egregiously bad.

EDIT - Pereira defended the second trip but said the Tyron Smith trip was bad.

Last edited:
Meh. Goff has been the worst QB in the league for a month. If that was Mayfield people would rip him. He threw no touchdowns and has had 5 interceptions/4 fumbles in November.

My main point was that those two team's problems have ZERO to do with NE. Never said Goff was playing well. Btw what happened to that vaunted New Orleans defense? Been kinda leaky lately.

My main point was that those two team's problems have ZERO to do with NE. Never said Goff was playing well. Btw what happened to that vaunted New Orleans defense? Been kinda leaky lately.

I said as much on Sunday about 3 pages back. Doesn't help that Lattimore is out and they are totally undisciplined with penalties.

I said as much on Sunday about 3 pages back. Doesn't help that Lattimore is out and they are totally undisciplined with penalties.

You should send a Thanksgiving fruit basket to the Carolina PK. :)

is that REALLY the worst part of the call for all impartial observers of the game? I didn't care who won but I wanted to see that drive continue as it should have. Would they have scored at TD, I'd say 75 percent no...but that call basically rendered the drive DOA.

Nola should have lost that game..no two ways about it. They aren't as good as I thought. They don't have that physical presence on either side of the ball they did last year. When you watch San Fran and Baltimore play, you literally can feel the domination of both offensive and defensive lines on runs. in this era of pass happy, two of the best teams run the ball down your throat..and new england is best when they run as well.

I agree and Rams long term future looks bleak. Few picks, bad contracts and a system that's been figured out oh and Frisco and Seattle know what they are a doing. Rams window shut early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom