NHL Playoffs | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NHL Playoffs

Now on to the department of player safety "Spin the Wheel" suspension lottery.

This can go from anywhere from a $5000 fine to a suspension for the entire series. You never know with Parros.

Now on to the department of player safety "Spin the Wheel" suspension lottery.

This can go from anywhere from a $5000 fine to a suspension for the entire series. You never know with Parros.

Prolly will only get two games based on NHL history. I'm still annoyed by the Reeves ruling.

I'm sorry Evans was hurt on that play. I wish it was Corey Perry instead.

Prolly will only get two games based on NHL history. I'm still annoyed by the Reeves ruling.

Scheifele is a skill player with no history of that kind of play. Reeves is an unrepentant goon. A big part of the problem in both cases however, is how the NHL abandons the rule book once the playoffs begin. They won't allow the officials to make the calls on the "lesser" infractions that lead up to incidents like these two. They'll suspend Scheifele so they can give lip service to player safety, but the truth is they want the players to play with reckless abandon in the playoffs. Every game I see vicious cross checks from behind and players leave their feet to splatter defenseless players against the boards and no call is made. Then they get all puffed up and indignant when it goes sideways. The league fairly runs on hypocrisy and double standards.

Last edited:
Just super upsetting after a great game. I have such little faith in the NHL to get this right

I'm sorry Evans was hurt on that play. I wish it was Corey Perry instead.
Dumb comment.

idc your thoughts on whatever player. Wishing that on someone says a lot. Would never wish that even on a Marchand or whatever.

Scheifele is a skill player with no history of that kind of play. Reeves is an unrepentant goon. A big part of the problem in both cases however, is how the NHL abandons the rule book once the playoffs begin. They won't allow the officials to make the calls on the "lesser" infractions that lead up to incidents like these two. They'll suspend Scheifele so they can give lip service to player safety, but the truth is they want the players to to play with reckless abandon in the playoffs. Every game I see viscious cross checks from behind and players leave their feet to splatter defenseless players against the boards and no call is made. Then they get all puffed up and indignant when it goes sideways. The league fairly runs on hypocrisy and double standards.

There really was no lesser "rough" infractions that were let go that led up to the incident. That is the case sometimes, but ir really wasn't tonight.

Scheifele for some reason was extremely irritated all game tonight -- unusual for him. Maybe it was because he was tightly checked. The only infraction that led to this was Winnipeg giving up 4 goals.

There really was no lesser rough infractions that were let go that led up to the incident.

Scheifele for some reason was extremely irritated all game tonight -- unusual for him. Maybe it was because he was tightly checked. The only infraction that led to this was Winnipeg giving up 4 goals.
In fact this game was called very by the book.

you see the slow mo and wonder why he didnt even try to stop the shot and reach with the stick. just blasted the guy at full speed.

Dumb comment.

idc your thoughts on whatever player. Wishing that on someone says a lot. Would never wish that even on a Marchand or whatever.

I couldn't possibly care what Habs fans think.

Scheifele gets 4 games. There hasn't been a 4 game suspension in the NHL for charging in 5 years. Never underestimate the NHL's desire to advance the interests of the Montreal Canadiens. It's almost like Sammy Pollock* still runs everything. I hate Montreal so much when they play the Russians I have to flip a coin for someone to cheer for. Those bastards f-ed up the NHL for decades with their "regional draft protection" which assigned the top two juniors from Quebec every year to the Canadiens so they could "protect their habitant tradition." F every last one of them. They're a pox on the NHL.

* "If it's good for the Montreal Canadiens, it's good for the NHL."

Last edited:
Scheifele gets 4 games. There hasn't been a 4 game suspension in the NHL for charging in 5 years. Never underestimate the NHL's desire to advance the interests of the Montreal Canadiens. It's almost like Sammy Pollock* still runs everything. I hate Montreal so much when they play the Russians I have to flip a coin for someone to cheer for. Those bastards f-ed up the NHL for decades with their "regional draft protection" which assigned the top two juniors from Quebec every year to the Canadiens so they could "protect their habitant tradition." F every last one of them. They're a pox on the NHL.

* "If it's good for the Montreal Canadiens, it's good for the NHL."

Crybaby

Also 100% incorrect on the regional draft protection lasting for decades. It was a handful of years during the early draft era and netted the Canadiens Rejean Houle and Marc Tardif as the big gains. Big wow

If you are talking pre 1962 there was no draft. There was regional market protection that benefitted the Leafs as much as the Habs.

Last edited:
same thing happened in lots of sports for years.. yankees and celtics got that advantage as well.

same thing happened in lots of sports for years.. yankees and celtics got that advantage as well.

His whole point on regional draft protection "lasting decades" is off base to put it kindly. The NHL draft started in 1963. And in the first few years (up to 1968) hardly anybody of value was available in the draft because players were claimed via sponsorship much earlier than their draft year.

The Canadiens like the Leafs had the ability to get players within a radius of their city prior to the NHL draft era. This was an unfair advantage too both teams in the Orginal 6 / pre draft era as the American markets did not have much hockey played in both of them.

Fact is during the NHL draft era the Canadiens had the special regional advantage to select 2 players for 1968 and 1969!!! Two years -- not decades -- two years!. In 1968 they got Michel Plasse and Roger Belisle. In 1969 they got Marc Tardif and Rejean Houle. How someone can claim that was the basis for the Sam Pollock late 70's dynasty era blows my mind.

Those late 70s teams were built on the draft and shrewd trades -- with no regional protection.

Last edited:
And I especially hate teams that turtle all season long and then limp into the playoffs while everyone else was busting their asses to win games, and then get all big and bad because they have a hot goalie. I'm talking to you, St. Louis. :)

Montreal was the best team in the north all year. But they dont have that A talent to lead them. the only team in the North that for some reason out played them was Ottawa. Gallagher and Price came back and they started to win again.

Montreal was the best team in the north all year. But they dont have that A talent to lead them. the only team in the North that for some reason out played them was Ottawa. Gallagher and Price came back and they started to win again.

I don't agree, I think it was a toss up between Toronto and Edmonton. Montreal finished 4th, and limped in due to Calgary's ongoing ineptitude. That said, there's a difference between building a track team for the regular season who plays a different team every night, and a heavy-duty team of aggressive pluggers, built on defense from the net outward, who is coached on how to shut down the other team's easily identifiable assets. Combined with the full knowledge of the undeniable fact the league tosses the rule book after the regular season, it's a recipe for success in a context where the playoffs, as long as you can get in, means everything.

The next round is going to be interesting to see with Canada vs Vegas/Colorado. The Knights had a full house tonight. Imaging going from that environment to 500 fans in Winnipeg? I’m sure the NHL would love Montreal to advance in this series as they allow more fans in than the Jets. At least optics wise, I’m sure the league wants to see as many fans as possible in the stands for the semifinals.

The next round is going to be interesting to see with Canada vs Vegas/Colorado. The Knights had a full house tonight. Imaging going from that environment to 500 fans in Winnipeg? I’m sure the NHL would love Montreal to advance in this series as they allow more fans in than the Jets. At least optics wise, I’m sure the league wants to see as many fans as possible in the stands for the semifinals.

The absence of fans in Winnipeg is caused by the fact of a peak of a covid wave there. Much of the province is shut down, otherwise the building would be packed. Honest, they're outstanding fans. :)

Personally, I loathe Montreal and will cheer for whoever they're playing. Maybe even the Russians. I like the way Colorado plays.

The absence of fans in Winnipeg is caused by the fact of a peak of a covid wave there. Much of the province is shut down, otherwise the building would be packed. Honest, they're outstanding fans. :)

Personally, I loathe Montreal and will cheer for whoever they're playing. Maybe even the Russians. I like the way Colorado plays.
I understand completely why fans are limited in the arena. I’m sure they are great fans. I don’t like Montreal either (or Toronto and Ottawa). When they played the Rangers in the playoffs a few years back, I had to capture this photo of a sad Canadiens fan who I hoped burned that jacket soon after.
41168300-9D6C-4E6F-8009-D06E30011E48.jpeg

I don't care what the NHL wants in terms of fans in the stands or optics.

Canadian provinces are moving on this responsibly given our initial federal procurement difficulties. Some people still have not had a shot at one vaccination (which they want), and the majority of people are lined up for their second vaccination over the next 3 months (not many fully vaccinated individuals). We are well behind the US in this regard. And the virus is still out there (we are at about the same rate as the US right now - 2000 cases vs 20,000 cases), since Ontario has now started to decline quite a bit in the past 3 weeks.

Canada will be in great vaccination shape in 3 months. We have now moved comfortably ahead of the US in terms of one shot vaccination rate and within 3-4 months all of these people will be fully vaccinated. (And while the moving on past 3 weeks for the second shot was a risk, it seems like it may actually be a benefit to extend time between shots).

No need to rush fans in the stands for the next 3 months. Let's move forward in more important areas like helping small businesses while slowing this down. What does bother me in Ontario is how some guidelines are way too restrictive in some regards (totally irresponsible in others like contruction), not thought out or flexible in any way, arbitrary in terms of risk, and are hurting people right now. But not having fans at a hockey game does not bother me.

We get to study what is happening in the US as they open up aggressively, and I really really hope it goes well in the US, and that these large arena gathering do not cause much issues. I do expect that the governments will still be more conservative then the US in the first few months after people that choose to be vaccinated are fully vaccinated, but hopefully not that much.

Last edited:

A Montreal-Boston Stanley Cup Final could theoretically still happen.

The difference of the 500 people in Winnipeg vs the 500 people in Toronto was notable. Is 500 too conservative -- most certainly, but it is interesting how Toronto interpreted the provincial guidance vs Winnipeg

Winnipeg spread out their 500 healthcare workers all over the arena. Toronto did not spread the 550 people out at all, and put then only in a few sections closer together so they could make more noise, which sort of defeats the purpose of the minimum.

Not sure what the case was in Winnipeg, but in Toronto the team boasted it was all frontline workers at the game. It appears that many upper management hospital types and provincial medical staff are apparently "frontline" workers.

Last edited:
I don't give a crap what the NHL wants in terms of fans in the stands or optics.

Canadian provinces are moving on this responsibly given our initial procurement difficulties. Some people still have not had a shot at one vaccination (which they want), and the majority of people are lined up for their second vaccination over the next 3 months (not many fully vaccinated individuals). We are well behind the US in this regard. And the virus is still out there (we are at about the same rate as the US right now - 2000 cases vs 20,000 cases), since Ontario has now started to decline quite a bit in the past 3 weeks.

Canada will be in great vaccination shape in 3 months. We have now moved comfortably ahead of the US in terms of one shot vaccination rate and within 3-4 months all of these people will be fully vaccinated. (And while the moving on past 3 weeks for the second shot was a risk, it seems like it may actually be a benefit to extend time between shots).

No need to rush fans in the stands for the next 3 months. Let's move forward in more important areas like helping small businesses while slowing this down. What does bother me in Ontario is how some guidelines are way too restrictive, not thought out or flexible in any way, arbitrary in terms of risk, and are hurting people right now. But not having fans at a hockey game does not bother me.

We get to study what is happening in the US as they open up aggressively, and I really really hope it goes well in the US, and that these large arena gathering do not cause much issues. I do expect that the governments will still be more conservative then the US in the first few months after people that choose to be vaccinated are fully vaccinated, but hopefully not that much.
I completely agree with you and understand how things are going there. My mother was born and raised in Toronto. Half my family is still there(a few in Calgary as well). They were all able to get the first dose a while ago but are still waiting on the second dose. They need to do what they have to do to keep people safe. If that means slowly letting people back in arenas, then I’m all for it. Watching the Vegas game last night and seeing what looked like 100% capacity seemed risky to me but hope it works out for them.

I completely agree with you and understand how things are going there. My mother was born and raised in Toronto. Half my family is still there(a few in Calgary as well). They were all able to get the first dose a while ago but are still waiting on the second dose. They need to do what they have to do to keep people safe. If that means slowly letting people back in arenas, then I’m all for it. Watching the Vegas game last night and seeing what looked like 100% capacity seemed risky to me but hope it works out for them.
Once you get close to 75% vaccinated things should open.
Here in the USA it’s amazing how many vaccinates we have that should be sent to the rest of the world.
If you aren’t fully vaccinated here in the Us it’s because you don’t want the vaccine.

Canada should be first in the line for Pfizer and Moderna to send their vaccines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom