NIL | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

What is going to be interesting is when the laws of supply and demand begin to take effect. It may not be long before supply of student athletes in major sports outpaces the demand of local businesses etc for their services.

What is going to be interesting is when the laws of supply and demand begin to take effect. It may not be long before supply of student athletes in major sports outpaces the demand of local businesses etc for their services.
I think it will be a lot quicker than most realize, especially because most of these colleges have a local or regional fan base. Will there be national type talents, absolutely, outside of Carmelo I don’t think we’ve had another guy who would fit that mold the past 20 years.

These guys will make money, but I think it slows down after this year at a pretty rapid pace.

I don't think I will ever unsee "cereal enthusiast". I think I will forever refer to Buddy by that moniker now.
Better than "Cereal or serial killer". I wonder if it would be a recruiting violation for a local businessman with ties to SU to induce a H.S. recruit with an NIL opportunity. Can you imagine what T. Boone Pickens might do. Not picking on him, just a well known, very well healed, super enthusiastic booster.

This may be a stupid question, but back in the days when The Playboy magazine put out a special pictorial like "girls of the Big East" or "cheerleaders of the SEC" do those girls get paid with their appearances and if so were those NIL events?

Were the "Girls of the Big East" actual student-athletes, or just ordinary students?

I only read Playboy for the car ads. ;)

I think it will be a lot quicker than most realize, especially because most of these colleges have a local or regional fan base. Will there be national type talents, absolutely, outside of Carmelo I don’t think we’ve had another guy who would fit that mold the past 20 years.

These guys will make money, but I think it slows down after this year at a pretty rapid pace.

Yep especially when they sign deals that last longer than their 4 years or less in school.

I will withhold judgment on your comment because there is a ton of creativity and latitude that we will see. All that money being funneled to the coaches and to the schools from the sneaker companies. A lot of that might go directly to the players now. Why would Fuccillo pay Caroline and that other dude to do commercials when they could pay someone the same money who might be a star athlete at a local college.

239080112_4449916675070365_7538955114733704075_n.jpg

Like any other market that has had demand walled off by restrictions there will be an initial gold rush and people will go crazy. Then things will settle out. Despite many predictions I can't imagine that pissing away large sums of money is going to be a long term spending habit for the mega rich boosters most other schools besides Syracuse have apparently.

I just finished listening to an audiobook about the history of the English Premier League. Early on a crazy rich guy opened his personal fortune and essentially bought a title for his beloved Blackburn Rovers, operating at a massive loss. This model of the old rich guy that doesn't care about finances and is willing to lose a good chunk of their own fortune has resulted in few titles around the league, although a few others did try unsuccessfully. It turns out that most really rich people don't have much of a stomach or appetite for losing money on passion projects. That isn't to say other wealthy owners haven't come in, but there objective has always been to make money and win titles (but mostly to make money). College athlete endorsements are going to make many boosters rich, they just don't have that kind of influence. I don't think a car dealer in Kentucky is going to double their sales because the next lottery pick does some car commercials.

Last edited:
... Despite many predictions I can't imagine that pissing away large sums of money is going to be a long term spending habit for the mega rich boosters most other schools besides Syracuse have apparently...
During his life time, the billionaire oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens "gave $652 million to the university, including $300 million to Oklahoma State athletics."

See also "Papa" John Schnatter (Louisville), Phil Knight (Oregon), Herb Kohl (Wisconsin), Les Wexner (Ohio State) and many others:

For some of these mega-donors, it seems like their goal was/is not making money.

During his life time, the billionaire oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens "gave $652 million to the university, including $300 million to Oklahoma State athletics."

See also "Papa" John Schnatter (Louisville), Phil Knight (Oregon), Herb Kohl (Wisconsin), Les Wexner (Ohio State) and many others:

For some of these mega-donors, it seems like their goal was/is not making money.
Good chance tax relief played a part.

Are the athletes permitted to sign with agents now in college to help negotiate for the athletes marketing deals? I would presume yes? If so I wonder if there would need to be certifications and standards for that similar to the NFL?

One thing that is interesting to me will be the NCAA athletes that are famous pre-college for things like lifestyle stuff or video game streaming.

All of a sudden the third anchor on the 4x100 track team as a frosh is clearing $7M a year from playing a first person shooter while other athletes are getting thrown free food for endorsing a local restaurant will be interesting.

Are the athletes permitted to sign with agents now in college to help negotiate for the athletes marketing deals? I would presume yes? If so I wonder if there would need to be certifications and standards for that similar to the NFL?
Does NIL kill APR?? Players won’t be going to class

Which is why the Lands thing, while very predictable, is funny. He basically said he was reopening his recruitment so he could see what kind of violations teams would commit to get him.

It's the dumbest rule ever. Completely not enforcible because there will be no way to prove "why" a given company choose to pay for the endorsement... Nor any way to prove the school didn't actually set it up.

It's the dumbest rule ever. Completely not enforcible because there will be no way to prove "why" a given company choose to pay for the endorsement... Nor any way to prove the school didn't actually set it up.
There will always be behind the scenes people to ensure plausible deniability by the university, this will kill college sports and this has already started. The OSU QB is making more than some people in the NFL right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom