NIL | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

That’s exactly what I was thinking. No chance this will lead to academic shenanigans at all ;)
And encourage players to take easy courses that are likely to be useless preparing them for life after college.

I see a lot of these athletes taking gym, food and drink appreciation, MTV, and whatever other questionable courses low end basketball factories can come up with to guarantee athletes easy As.

UNC Athletes get high grades in those no show classes they offer, so that one makes sense.
So, technically those no show classes were a way to pay the players. And the NCAA was totally cool with it.

And encourage players to take easy courses that are likely to be useless preparing them for life after college.

I see a lot of these athletes taking gym, food and drink appreciation, MTV, and whatever other questionable courses low end basketball factories can come up with to guarantee athletes easy As.
Yep exactly what I was thinking with my comment about possible shenanigans. Anther idea that seems good in theory that schools will make a mockery of, I’m afraid.

You can’t do a better job of showing your advancing age than to suggest college kids are taking an MTV class. Only the ancient history majors take that class!

I’m worried the reason JB went on the radio this week to complain about NIL is because he’s concerned he’s losing in recruiting due to NIL. I wonder if he’s losing JP to Tennessee because of it. It’s his mo to go on the radio to complain about things he doesn’t like.

I’m worried the reason JB went on the radio this week to complain about NIL is because he’s concerned he’s losing in recruiting due to NIL. I wonder if he’s losing JP to Tennessee because of it. It’s his mo to go on the radio to complain about things he doesn’t like.

There was a coach's event in DC not that long ago. Every coach was very preoccupied with NIL.

Don't think I have ever commented on this NIL business. When I read some of this stuff, and what gets posted in the daily articles thread, it drives me nuts. College athletics is now all about the money for the athletes. I'm all in favour of these players getting paid which has been debated for years, but not this way. Give them all an equivalent salary which would be even with all schools. If that was instigated a few years ago then we would not be stressing over NIL. Of course, that will never happen now. If your "NIL Bank" is not big enough then the top recruits will be going elsewhere which is totally understandable, who can blame the kids. I sincerely hope that college hoops, and our team specifically, doesn't deteriorate to a point where fans lose interest due to lack of competitiveness as a small minority of schools will be monopolizing talent and dominance in the sport.

At least that is my two cents worth. Sorry for my rant.

Don't think I have ever commented on this NIL business. When I read some of this stuff, and what gets posted in the daily articles thread, it drives me nuts. College athletics is now all about the money for the athletes. I'm all in favour of these players getting paid which has been debated for years, but not this way. Give them all an equivalent salary which would be even with all schools. If that was instigated a few years ago then we would not be stressing over NIL. Of course, that will never happen now. If your "NIL Bank" is not big enough then the top recruits will be going elsewhere which is totally understandable, who can blame the kids. I sincerely hope that college hoops, and our team specifically, doesn't deteriorate to a point where fans lose interest due to lack of competitiveness as a small minority of schools will be monopolizing talent and dominance in the sport.

The whole thing has become a mess.

It was not long ago that there were two arguments: 1) "if someone decides to sell a shirt that has a player's name on it, that person makes all the $$$ and the player makes nothing off his own name." That was indeed a sound complaint. 2) "the schools make tons of $$$ on the backs of the athletes so the athletes should get some of that." There were well-reasoned views on both sides of that issue.

So now, the schools STILL keep all their revenue but now players get paid...excuse me, "compensated for their name and likeness" and...AND...the tab is expected to be picked up by boosters and fans. What a great deal!

Let's toss in the fact that the portal makes it possible for the players to leave at any time for things like more playing time. Or better pay...excuse me, I mean "better compensation for their name and likeness" at another school. You can't even buy the loyalty of the guy you are "compensating" and the guy you are "compensating" today may be getting "compensated" by another team in a few short months. It's pro sports but somehow even dirtier. At least in the old days, the SEC paid only their stars under the table. Now, at some schools even a backup DB can get in on the "compensation."

Can't wait for the booster collectives to start doing off season arbitration with their clients. If performances aren't up to par some folks might be in for a rude awakening as there's another class of stars on the way. Lack of loyalty is a 2 way street. No free lunch.

It was not long ago that there were two arguments: 1) "if someone decides to sell a shirt that has a player's name on it, that person makes all the $$$ and the player makes nothing off his own name." That was indeed a sound complaint. 2) "the schools make tons of $$$ on the backs of the athletes so the athletes should get some of that." There were well-reasoned views on both sides of that issue.

So now, the schools STILL keep all their revenue but now players get paid...excuse me, "compensated for their name and likeness" and...AND...the tab is expected to be picked up by boosters and fans. What a great deal!

Let's toss in the fact that the portal makes it possible for the players to leave at any time for things like more playing time. Or better pay...excuse me, I mean "better compensation for their name and likeness" at another school. You can't even buy the loyalty of the guy you are "compensating" and the guy you are "compensating" today may be getting "compensated" by another team in a few short months. It's pro sports but somehow even dirtier. At least in the old days, the SEC paid only their stars under the table. Now, at some schools even a backup DB can get in on the "compensation."
This right here is what’s throwing me.

I’m almost glad I’ve been numbed by the mediocrity of the last 6-7 years. It will make the descent to not caring at all much easier.

NIL is separate and apart from any compensation plan the NCAA might do. NIL rights belong to the individual. SCOTUS said that the NCAA can't curtail the student athletes' right to make money from their own individual name, image or likeness. I think that the ONLY way (labor lawyers jump in) that this could be done is through unionization and a collectively bargained agreement between college athletes and NCAA/member schools. For instance: in exchange for salary, health care, retirement, etc. the members give over their NIL earnings, to be split up a certain way (say 40% to the kid, 30% to the school and 30% to the NCAA.)
This could also provide some trade-offs for transfer rules, academic eligibility, etc.
Just my $.02.

I get JB going on the radio to ask for NIL donations from fans, but honestly shouldn’t he be mostly turning to his close buddy who loves hanging with celebrities and bringing them to games? Maybe he is, idk?

You’re right, you don’t know. Neither do I. But I’m not going to just assume worst case to take a shot.

Perhaps a 'mess' although I don't think it's all too surprising...several here commented about the game's probable plight and saw this coming. It's a somewhat correlated parallel to what free agency in professional sports did to their respective sports. Generally, the rich getting richer, especially in MLB where there isn't a salary cap, even the NBA's cap (luxury tax) doesn't quite stop the insanity.

At least the NFL has a true/legit cap that keeps all of its teams, generally, on an relatively even playing field and why smaller/mid-market type teams in the NFL can, and do, have very good and consistent success.

IMO, high level college sports will likely resemble Major League Baseball the most, at least in its current structure. In baseball, the system allows the large market teams to spend so unevenly and why, for the most part, it's the large market teams that consistently win out on the free agency signings. Moreover, the reason those teams are typically the ones chasing pennants and World Series titles.

You’re right, you don’t know. Neither do I. But I’m not going to just assume worst case to take a shot.
Take a shot? How was that taking a shot? What in my post isn’t factual? Like I said, I get asking for some kind of donation from fans and I don’t know if he’s spoken to him about it but I hope he has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom