NIL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

If you believed that SEC football was an amateur sport you've been hoodwinked.
Obviously I'm under no such delusion and (with respect) you're missing the point, which was that under the old rules, those schools were subject to sanctions for violating the rules. Now it could be a pat on the back, depending on how this plays out (devolves). Done right, I think athletes could have benefitted from NIL through delayed payments - such as player trusts - to protect their amateur status (and college sports as we know it). Instead, at least for the time being while NY and federal legislation is pending, free agency cash could explode in all the worst places.

Some have observed that SU BB players may come out well. That may be true, and I don't begrudge them being rewarded for hard work and talent. But while a few kids might make out better than others in so-called "pro-towns" (Pittsburgh), in the end the winners might be the biggest former cheaters. As of midnight the flushest SEC boosters are going to be able to throw unlimited money at players with NCAA approval. That's not college sports, it's pro sports. By eliminating the distinction, we remove college's most attractive feature - amateur student athletes. Without proper guardrails, the new rule could reduce amateur sports to its lowest common denominators - shady AAU programs, handler posses, pseudo-educational institutions like Bama and Ky, sleazeballs from Addidas, and the likes of Bruce Pearl, Pay Pal Cal, Sean Miller, Will Wade and Bill Self. Hopefully NY and other states (if not congress) will act quickly to avoid abuses that are virtually guaranteed without appropriate rules.

Last edited:
Last edited:
To me this will be the downfall of college sports. You will have your top schools with local big business behind them ready to help the University's bring in top talent. And you will have smaller schools who will be essentially farm teams or a clear 2nd tier.

Top high school recruit down between Kentucky and Virginia and he is told hey come to Kentucky and once you sign the dotted line our local car dealership who is a Kentucky Alum will give ya $40,000 for an autograph signing at his store and for you to do some advertising of his dealership.

Or if a kid starts off at say Pittsburgh plays good as a Sophomore and is an All American or something, a business reaches out and says hey I want to pay you $25,000 for an endorsement deal for some company, but it is contingent on you entering that transfer portal and play at Auburn next year. You only get the money if you go to Auburn because I'm an Auburn alum and well I would love to see you on that team.

And they can do all of this stuff above-board now.

To me this will be the downfall of college sports. You will have your top schools with local big business behind them ready to help the University's bring in top talent. And you will have smaller schools who will be essentially farm teams or a clear 2nd tier.

Top high school recruit down between Kentucky and Virginia and he is told hey come to Kentucky and once you sign the dotted line our local car dealership who is a Kentucky Alum will give ya $40,000 for an autograph signing at his store and for you to do some advertising of his dealership.

Or if a kid starts off at say Pittsburgh plays good as a Sophomore and is an All American or something, a business reaches out and says hey I want to pay you $25,000 for an endorsement deal for some company, but it is contingent on you entering that transfer portal and play at Auburn next year. You only get the money if you go to Auburn because I'm an Auburn alum and well I would love to see you on that team.

And they can do all of this stuff above-board now.
I think it's fantastic.

Can we start a go fund me for recruits? Hell I'd even finally break and join social media to get our players paid

Pitt, BC, and RU all announced programs to do just that, yesterday. They also offer brand consultants, digital platforms that businesses can use to book their athletes, and PR classes so they don’t get in trouble on social media.
I would be surprised if Cuse doesn’t announce something similar very very soon

they’ve had all that in place and wildhack talked about it a few weeks ago. Seminars, a class starting this fall in Falk, people who help the athletes navigate all this etc.

For years the only people not making big $ off college athletics were the athletes themselves. I'm happy they finally get their share of the pie. The sham of amateurism was dead long ago.

Glad to see the university trying to help these kids manage this new found income and hopefully avoid and issues with taxation, etc. Not sure what support there's been in the past for kids going on to make NBA. NFL money but this is good for any college kids entering the real world.

For years the only people not making big $ off college athletics were the athletes themselves. I'm happy they finally get their share of the pie. The sham of amateurism was dead long ago.

Glad to see the university trying to help these kids manage this new found income and hopefully avoid and issues with taxation, etc. Not sure what support there's been in the past for kids going on to make NBA. NFL money but this is good for any college kids entering the real world.

Agree. It's a good thing. And yeah, it's going to be a little crazy in the first week or two with everyone saying I'm open for business, but that stuff will die down.

If the scholarship limit stays at 85, things shouldn't slant any more toward the big schools than they already do.

The only thing I sorta worry about (just sorta) is locker room divides. The stupid stuff, like how did he get a deal over me. Not as big a deal in the pros because they're older and this stuff has been around forever. Introducing this new to 18-22 year olds has the possibility of becoming yet another headache for a head coach. But hey, that's what they get paid their 7-8 figures for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom