OC Rumors | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OC Rumors

Out of 14 ACC teams where does our talent rank?
I would say 12th-14th.

We aren’t super talented. If we are then I am not seeing it.
We have some players who can play but not Middle to top of the conference talent anywhere except RB, a couple of LBs and DB.
Outside of Clemson no ACC team has talent. The teams that do well have older players. The teams that do poorly have younger players.

Things not to look forward to for the 2022 Syracuse University Football program. The Schedule, continued lack of depth, continued injuries contributing to the lack of depth, lack of player development, inadequate recruiting, bad in game coaching, lack of a vertical passing game, the tight end listed as a missing person, continued offensive line shuffling that leads to bad pass protection, the lack of a real center, receivers who can't beat press coverage and on the rare ocassion that they do, they drop the pass of it lands five feet in front of them. The entire defensive line graduated, the secondary is shaky and we have no field goal kicker and a shaky punting duo. Things to look forward too, Sean Tucker hopefully. After the last three years, it's really tough to get at all excited that this program is headed in the right direction. I sure as heck hope I am proved wrong because I am sick and tired of hearing wait until next year, it will be better. It never is!
Year seven

seven

We have a lot of talent, I agree. The schedule is brutal though and I don’t believe theres much incentive for a quality OC to come in. We need to get lucky.

Our depth is thin across various position groups. We need to close out this incoming class strong and outpace the p5 in the portal.

A lot needs to go right. A lot.
We dont have a lot of talent. We are as thin as a Ramon noodle.

Outside of Clemson no ACC team has talent. The teams that do well have older players. The teams that do poorly have younger players.
Florida State/Miami/North Carolina/NC State have talent.

They get way better talent than we get.
Hell I would take Pitt’s annual recruiting classes.

We aren’t getting close to the talent the other ACC teams get.
Thus we need coaches who can player develop.
Dino hasn’t shown he can do that but sending Wildhack some money will surely fix everything.

Out of 14 ACC teams where does our talent rank?
I would say 12th-14th.

We aren’t super talented. If we are then I am not seeing it.
We have some players who can play but not Middle to top of the conference talent anywhere except RB, a couple of LBs and DB.
we may return multiple all acc players and have a number of other appreciating assets on D. We have talent. The difference in a bowl bid this year was coaching. Next year the schedule is just absolutely daunting.

Maybe we should blame going 4-8 in 2016 and 2017 on Sean Lewis. When Kent State loses, it is a blow out. When they win it is close. Kinda like those seasons for us. He leaves SU and we go 10-3. Hmmm.
His offense looked awful today,

We literally don’t have a DL returning. It was all super seniors this year. We might be losing our best LB in Mikel Jones.
We might be losing our best CB in Garrett Williams if he declares.

Our defense is nowhere near the 2018 level.
Never mind our passing offense is pure adulterated garbage. We do have an all conference tailback.

But yeah Mrs. Lincoln it should be our best team since 2018.
Passing game was okay before GS got hurt. And okay the last game. Have to assume our WRs aren’t going to get worse. One more year of development. What makes you think the passing game isn’t going to be better?

Passing game was okay before GS got hurt. And okay the last game. Have to assume our WRs aren’t going to get worse. One more year of development. What makes you think the passing game isn’t going to be better?
Passing game was okay?
What is okay?

I would say 200 passing yards is okay.
When we did we get 200 passing yards in one game?

Our passing game is awful.

Passing game was okay?
What is okay?

I would say 200 passing yards is okay.
When we did we get 200 passing yards in one game?

Our passing game is awful.
Liberty - 219* (Note: It has been accurately pointed out to me that my vain attempt to pad SU’s stats here was not a simple transposition of numbers as I flipped back and forth on screens on my phone, but rather a deliberate attempt to make SU appear to be a fantastic passing team in order to change posters’ minds on this board. While my transparent ruse failed to trip up a few of the much smarter posters on this board, I nevertheless apologize to everyone for failing to respect your SU football acumen. Be assured I will no longer try to make SU appear to be the greatest passing team in the history of college football, but rather a developing team who has a quarterback with two years remaining to improve, and a young set of receivers who may actually improve over time. Thank you.)

FSU - 150

Wake - 160

Clemson - 191

VT - 236

Pitt - 209

That’s 1,165 yards in six games. (See disclaimer above.) Average 195 a game. That’s not great. But it’s not horrendous either. If GS was hurt the other three games, well that explains a lot.

Last edited:
Wildhack owns it no matter what. He’s clearly doing what he thinks is best. That you disagree does not make it wrong.

I think the worry over finding someone capable as OC is overblown. Dino has been in the business for a long time. Someone who knows the job and knows how these things go can live in a posh apartment for a year. The chance to coach the best running game in the ACC isn’t nothing.

Milk is tipsy, not spilt and it’s not worth crying over

That Wildhack thinks he’s right, doesn’t make him right.

DB has 1 winning season in 6. The fact he’s been in the business for a long time has no bearing whatsoever on anything. Being a coach for 30 years doesn’t make you a good coach. It might mean you know a lot but it doesn’t make you good at your job. There’s lots of professions where people have been in the profession a long time and suck.

There wasn't much buzz this year, I bet retention will be pretty similar. If they can do some community outreach, get people excited with some events, good coaching hires, good spring ball, covid protocols different, who know it may even be better than this year.
A good portion of season tickets this season where probably just holdovers from the covid year that didn’t take the refund. Attendance will be an issue again next year. The better home slate may stop it from getting worse than this season though.

Liberty - 219

FSU - 150

Wake - 160

Clemson - 191

VT - 236

Pitt - 209

That’s 1,165 yards in six games. Average 195 a game. That’s not great. But it’s not horrendous either. If GS was hurt the other three games, well that explains a lot.
We had 77 passing yards against Liberty. 219 is what Liberty threw for against us. I didn’t look at the rest of the games but I assume some of those numbers are jacked up as well.

Liberty - 219

FSU - 150

Wake - 160

Clemson - 191

VT - 236

Pitt - 209

That’s 1,165 yards in six games. Average 195 a game. That’s not great. But it’s not horrendous either. If GS was hurt the other three games, well that explains a lot.
We have one of the 5 worst passing offenses from a P5 team.

We had 77 passing yards against Liberty. 219 is what Liberty threw for against us. I didn’t look at the rest of the games but I assume some of those numbers are jacked up as well.
Ah right missed that one. The others are correct, and I resent the implication. My point remains the same. A healthy GS was not awful throwing the ball, even with a young core of receivers who had lost their top player.

Don’t jack up the numbers on the very first stat and I won’t assume everything after it is garbage. You conveniently included the Pitt game but not the UL 46 yards and NC State 66 yards.

Florida State/Miami/North Carolina/NC State have talent.

They get way better talent than we get.
Hell I would take Pitt’s annual recruiting classes.

We aren’t getting close to the talent the other ACC teams get.
Thus we need coaches who can player develop.
Dino hasn’t shown he can do that but sending Wildhack some money will surely fix everything.
as they should because of geography. Like it or not but pitt got the perfect draw to win games every year which has led to them receuiting better than us. If we were in there spot since dino took over we probably make a bowl every year but the covid year

Don’t jack up the numbers on the very first stat and I won’t assume everything after it is garbage. You conveniently included the Pitt game but not the UL 46 yards and NC State 66 yards.
As I said, based on GS being hurt with broken ribs.

So his broke ribs held him back against UofL and NC State but were fine for the Pitt game? Sounds like you cherry picked games to prove that somehow we aren’t a very bad passing team. Which we are.

So his broke ribs held him back against UofL and NC State but were fine for the Pitt game? Sounds like you cherry picked games to prove that somehow we aren’t a very bad passing team. Which we are.
Of course. I assumed he was getting better. Who wouldn’t assume that.

Back to some sense of rationality, the original point was, why would someone assume SU’s passing game would not be better next year.
Oh I forgot, because no one develops, no one improves, no one gets healthy, and it feels better to piss and moan.

Last edited:
Of course. I assumed he was getting better. Who wouldn’t assume that.

Back to some sense of rationality, the original point was, why would someone assume SU’s passing game would not be better last year.
Oh I forgot, because no one develops, no one improves, no one gets healthy, and it feels better to piss and moan.
Bingo , predicting anything positive wrecks our “ chicken little gangs “ narrative.

We have a lot of talent, I agree. The schedule is brutal though and I don’t believe theres much incentive for a quality OC to come in. We need to get lucky.

Our depth is thin across various position groups. We need to close out this incoming class strong and outpace the p5 in the portal.

A lot needs to go right. A lot.
Nobody knows what are schedule is because there is ebb and flow. Teams that were really good this year will drop and teams will rise. There is a lot of uncertainty about Hartman , Armstrong and Cunningham. That could make a big difference. We get ND and Purdue to counter Rutgers and Liberty and that is tough but Purdue isn’t Ohio St.

Nobody knows what are schedule is because there is ebb and flow. Teams that were really good this year will drop and teams will rise. There is a lot of uncertainty about Hartman , Armstrong and Cunningham. That could make a big difference. We get ND and Purdue to counter Rutgers and Liberty and that is tough but Purdue isn’t Ohio St.
It was a lot easier to display stability and a reason to retained in 2021, than it will be in 2022. Wont say anything else. Hope Cuse surprises. Ill be there as always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom