Ok , Benny Williams | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ok , Benny Williams

Here's my take, which should qualify as "reasonable," at least IMO. Sadly, when JB put Williams in the game just 6-8 minutes in, the game's outcome was already decided for all intents and purposes. So, Benny was able to simply play the game of basketball, you know, as he has his entire life and have fun in the process. There was no worries of looking over his shoulder, playing tense, if one mistake was made getting yanked. Just play hoops.

Now, this was the only game so far in his short SU career where that has been the case. So, the cross section of data in that particular regard is nowhere abundant enough to conclude with any degree certainty of course, but that's my "reasonable" explanation.
Load of crap .. there have been plenty of games where the games were decided well in advance of crunch time .. both in wins and losses

Wonder how JB will spin his performance to credit himself and deflect any criticism of his playing time this year.
I think the truth will work. Benny is a work in progress.

I'm not sure Benny really "had opportunities all season." 2-3 minutes at a time where you get pulled before you even get your sweat up are not "opportunities." It would be pretty hard to convince me that this team wouldn't be better now (and then) if Benny were getting 20-25 minutes all season. The physical ability has been there all season. He has enough of that to have been getting PT all season and we probably would have seen the game slow down for him quite a while ago.
Before yesterday, the game never really slowed down for him regardless of whether he was getting 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes, and he effectively had rendered himself unplayable in games where the outcome was in doubt. I'm glad things finally clicked for him, but I'm not buying that what we saw from him yesterday was there all season. Some of these kids, no matter how talented, just take more time to figure it out. And that's okay.

HEY LETS NOT GET CRAZY. ITS ONE THING TO HAVE A NICE GAME AGAINST DUKE BUT I DOUBT HE COULD HAVE CONTRIBUTED AGAINST A PITT OR GEORGIA TECH OR BOSTON COLLEGE. HE MUST HAVE HAD A NICE PRACTICE THIS WEEK THOUGH.

I’m the furthest thing from a JB apologist but come on, Benny could barely function as a basketball player this year prior to tonight. He’s had opportunities. That being said, I’m very happy for him for how he played tonight and hope it continues.
This sums it up. He has gotten plenty of run in recent games and he was nothing like last night.

Benny is the type of player that cannot "think" and play.
Making a player like him, LEARN the zone may never happen.
With Benny it's all instinct and athleticism. If Cuse ever changed to uptempo
on offense/looked to run, Benny would be an 18 and 10 type player.
Instead CUSe plays as if we have 5 Jimmy B's on the floor.
just the way it is...

I'm not sure Benny really "had opportunities all season." 2-3 minutes at a time where you get pulled before you even get your sweat up are not "opportunities." It would be pretty hard to convince me that this team wouldn't be better now (and then) if Benny were getting 20-25 minutes all season. The physical ability has been there all season. He has enough of that to have been getting PT all season and we probably would have seen the game slow down for him quite a while ago.
He has played in 28 of 29 games and he averaged 11 minutes per game. If those aren't opportunities I honestly don't know what is. He simply wasn't producing prior to yesterday. Let's get him some solid run vs. UNC and Miami and see if last night was a trend or an aberration.

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 9.00.05 AM.png

Last edited:
He has played in 28 of 29 games and he averaged 11 minutes per game. If those aren't opportunities I honestly don't know what is. He simply wasn't producing prior to tonight. Let's get him some solid run vs. UNC and Miami and see if last night was a trend or an aberration.

View attachment 214813

I agree he’s had opportunities, but his mpg isn’t really a good indication of those opportunities bc of how wildly those minutes vary.

It’s not he’s a usual 10-15 mpg guy every single game.

Not saying right or wrong, but those minutes have been all over the place to get to that average.

He has played in 28 of 29 games and he averaged 11 minutes per game. If those aren't opportunities I honestly don't know what is. He simply wasn't producing prior to tonight. Let's get him some solid run vs. UNC and Miami and see if last night was a trend or an aberration.

View attachment 214813
Absolutely don’t disagree with the premise here at all. Imo every game should have been a guaranteed 8-10 though. I mean 36/36/8 is not that tough to figure out for our forwards.

Bennie is the type of athlete/player we need to compete with top ten NCAA teams ... Buddy and JG3 will struggle but Cole and Jimmy will be nonexistent against top ten teams and anybody who disagrees hasn't watched any of the top ten teams play.

It was only two games ago when he lollygagged up the floor and gave up a three.

We all agree that Benny has great athleticism. He showed some of that last night. But there were a number of times when he just stood around on offense and was not where he needed to be on defense.

Having said that about defense, this was one of the worst defensive games we've had. The single play that showed how inept they were was late in the second half. Four SU players Stood under the basket and watched the rebound! Nobody even moved an inch, let alone jumped for it. It's little wonder that JB was as cranky as he showed in his presser.

Bennie is the type of athlete/player we need to compete with top ten NCAA teams ... Buddy and JG3 will struggle but Cole and Jimmy will be nonexistent against top ten teams and anybody who disagrees hasn't watched any of the top ten teams play.
I mean, we’ve played three of them for a total of four games.

Boeheim stated early this week that he may bring in 6 recruits this year. Yesterday, he said that he may bring in 6 or 7 new players. Since Syracuse has six openings available and seven players returning. Who out of the seven won’t be returning if Syracuse brings in 7 new players? Let the speculation begin!

Boeheim stated early this week that he may bring in 6 recruits this year. Yesterday, he said that he may bring in 6 or 7 new players. Since Syracuse has six openings available and seven players returning. Who out of the seven won’t be returning if Syracuse brings in 7 new players? Let the speculation begin!
Frank , John Bol, jg3. Chaz owens

I just assume everyone is gone until they actually come back, these days.

There's no need for speculation if you just read what's already been posted:

Leaving
Bourama
Buddy
Jimmy
Cole

Returning
Joe
Symir
Benny
JBA
Jesse
Frank
Chaz?

Incoming
Quadir
Justin
Chris
Malik
Peter
Judah?

Leaving
Bourama
Buddy
Jimmy
Cole

Returning
Joe
Symir
Benny
JBA
Jesse
Frank
Chaz?

Incoming
Quadir
Justin
Chris
Malik
Peter
Judah?
Who starts?

Uneducated guess:

Jesse
Benny
Joe
Judah?
Chris

If Judah doesn't commit here :( , probably Symir.

Do we bring in a portal big or a guard if there's room?

Too many unknowns right now.
With Judah, we’d have 13. Are you saying we’d bring in others if an unknown transfer goes away or one or more of the incoming don’t show?

Leaving
Bourama
Buddy
Jimmy
Cole

Returning
Joe
Symir
Benny
JBA
Jesse
Frank
Chaz?

Incoming
Quadir
Justin
Chris
Malik
Peter
Judah?

Are you positive those guys on your returning list, outside of Chaz, are definitely all returning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom