Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

You're in the minority on this one, bud.
Well, how good do we think Brissett is as a midrange shooter?

He's career 31% from 3. I'll be generous and go with his cumulative %.

He's 45% from 2 this past season. I'll be generous and go with that instead of his career %.

So out of 100 of each shot, he'd have 93 points on 3 pointers and 90 points on the 2s.

93 > 90, cuz math

He's 45% from 2 this past season. I'll be generous and go with that instead of his career %.

So out of 100 of each shot, he'd have 93 points on 3 pointers and 90 points on the 2s.

93 > 90, cuz math
He’s 45% from two because he missed a ton of challenge layups and took a lot of forced shots. If he takes open 10 footers and works on establishing better post position, he’d improve those numbers significantly. However, those skills will not get him drafted. It’s a conundrum.

93 > 90, cuz math

He shot 27% this year. A big-time regression. He'd be better off in the college game learning how to finish around the rim at a high percentage, and would be much more useful with our team. We will, on paper, have other options to shoot the ball from the perimeter and space the defense.

27*3 = 81 < 90. Math.

All that being said, if I were a betting man I'd guess he's gone.

it"s too bad the NCAA wouldn't let Guerrier enroll in January like he wanted. He could have used the semester to get used to our systems and practiced with all of next year's players. it would have helped him immensely now that he will take on huge responsibility with Oshae leaving. Damn NCAA, screwing us again.

He’s 45% from two because he missed a ton of challenge layups and took a lot of forced shots. If he takes open 10 footers and works on establishing better post position, he’d improve those numbers significantly. However, those skills will not get him drafted. It’s a conundrum.
The truth is, he needs to get better both at the short game/establishing position for easier post ups and 3 point shooting.

He shot 27% this year. A big-time regression. He'd be better off in the college game learning how to finish around the rim at a high percentage, and would be much more useful with our team. We will, on paper, have other options to shoot the ball from the perimeter and space the defense.

27*3 = 81 < 90. Math.

All that being said, if I were a betting man I'd guess he's gone.
Regression to what, though? Do you think that's what he really is as a 3 point shooter?

Regression to what, though? Do you think that's what he really is as a 3 point shooter?

Usually over time you get better, all things considered. He got worse. I have no idea what he is but I’m not willing to bet my house on him being a better 3-pt. shooter next year. He also got better shots from 3 this year.

93 > 90, cuz math

It won’t be a popular opinion, but you’re right. In two seasons, he’s shot 33% and 27% from 3 respectively, while shooting 24% and 28% from mid range respectively.

The real answer is that he basically shouldn’t be shooting the ball because of how inefficient he is, but if forced to shoot, his 3 point shot is sadly more efficient than his mid range game.

His finishing at the rim was more efficient than both this season, though his 3 point shot was more efficient as a freshman.

Last edited:
It won’t be a popular opinion, but you’re right. In two seasons, he’s shot 33% and 27% from 3 respectively, while shooting 24% and 28% from mid range respectively.

The real answer is that he basically shouldn’t be shooting the ball because of how inefficient he is, but if forced to shoot, his 3 point shot is sadly more efficient than his mid range game.

His finishing at the rim was more efficient than both this season, though his 3 point shot was more efficient as a freshman.

No way he is NBA-ready at this stage.

If he wants to test the waters for a NBA litmus test, that's fine.

The question is, does he leave anyways to go late second round and finish his development in the G-league? I also think he has a high probability of ending up overseas for pro ball. He's very athletic and can rebound, but his finishing, ball handling and finesse leaves a lot to be desired.

Normally, for a player that is as unfinished development-wise, staying in school would be the way to go... but he stayed this year and got worse in our offense (or lack thereof).

If he's not getting along with JB and after another year with the overall terrible offense set we run, I wouldn't blame him if he left. I have no knowledge if the rift with JB is indeed true, just seen the rumors bandied about on here.

But if staying here won't make him any better, no reason he shouldn't move on.

IF that is the case... it's not much of an endorsement for the state of the program.

Come here and leave early because we'll stunt your development is not a nice set table for recruiting.

Last edited:

93 > 90, cuz math

If you add in all the free throws from him getting fouled from inside three as opposed to outside of three the numbers will lean the other way.

Here’s the rub. NBA people are going to tell him he needs to stretch his game away from the basket because of his size.

Raise your hand if you think OB shooting more threes and less mid range jumpers is a recipe for success next year?

Do you think our head coach would raise his hand?
Depends wholly on success on those shots

If you add in all the free throws from him getting fouled from inside three as opposed to outside of three the numbers will lean the other way.
True, although his foul shots weren't coming from midrange jumpers, which has been proposed as the either/or with the three point shooting.

The issue I have with the NBA evaluation process is it is rewarding 3 and D players, but all the stars in NBA can score from all three levels. So being a 3 and D guy will get you drafted, but you will be a role player that bounces around the league unless you are GREAT at it i.e. Bruce Bowen. Wes was just cut by Washington and has bounced around the league for 8 years playing for 5 team (hopefully he gets signed this summer) But Grant went it to the league being able to do everything but shoot the 3 and has developed a better all around game is on track to have a better career. The problem is Grant went in the 2 round and Wes was 4th overall the process is broken.

The issue I have with the NBA evaluation process is it is rewarding 3 and D players, but all the stars in NBA can score from all three levels. So being a 3 and D guy will get you drafted, but you will be a role player that bounces around the league unless you are GREAT at it i.e. Bruce Bowen. Wes was just cut by Washington and has bounced around the league for 8 years playing for 5 team (hopefully he gets signed this summer) But Grant went it to the league being able to do everything but shoot the 3 and has developed a better all around game is on track to have a better career. The problem is Grant went in the 2 round and Wes was 4th overall the process is broken.

Grant is successful because he has become a 3 and D player. He got picked in the second round because he wasn't yet a 3 point shooter.

There's only 1 basketball. The formula to win is to have it in the hands of one of the best basketball players in the world, and surround him with guys who are good off the ball. If you're not one of the best in the world, you are a liability if you can't shoot well. Obviously you want everybody to be good defensively if possible.

Grant is successful because he has become a 3 and D player. He got picked in the second round because he wasn't yet a 3 point shooter.

There's only 1 basketball. The formula to win is to have it in the hands of one of the best basketball players in the world, and surround him with guys who are good off the ball. If you're not one of the best in the world, you are a liability if you can't shoot well. Obviously you want everybody to be good defensively if possible.
Grant can do a lot more than just shoot the 3 and play D. He's a legit weapon and possibly the 3rd best player on OKC now. That being said, you are correct in that he's now become so succesful because he developed a reliable 3 point shot.

I'm not suggesting Grant is not a 3 and D player, but it was his ability to do the other things that allowed him to get on the floor and develop his 3-point game. Last year he only took 110 3s and shot 29%, this year he has taken 279 3s and shot 39%, which is higher than Wes has ever shot in his NBA career! Grant got on the floor by doing the dirty work blocking shots, running the floor, put backs, lobs, and the occasional drive to the basket and developed his 3pt shot. My point is if you can't do those other things you will be a journeyman at best unless you are Bruce Bowen.

I think he did.

One would hope he talked to him about it... but then again, why would he come back to ignore coach's advice foir another year?

The fact that JAB is saying this publicly now makes me think...

He gone.

One would hope he talked to him about it... but then again, why would he come back to ignore coach's advice foir another year?

The fact that JAB is saying this publicly now makes me think...

He gone.
I"m saying that not only did they work with him but he listened and actually improved, over the course of the year.

Now, in the interview with JB about Oshae's future, JB said he expects him to shoot much better from outside at SU next year. Wouldn't be able to do that without some level of green light from JB.

If all he was thinking about last season was the NBA he should leave now...….most kids with that mindset are mostly uncoachable…...I just hope he decides sooner then later for replacement purposes.

Grant can do a lot more than just shoot the 3 and play D. He's a legit weapon and possibly the 3rd best player on OKC now. That being said, you are correct in that he's now become so succesful because he developed a reliable 3 point shot.
Steven Adams is gotten pretty darn good.....

I"m saying that not only did they work with him but he listened and actually improved, over the course of the year.

Now, in the interview with JB about Oshae's future, JB said he expects him to shoot much better from outside at SU next year. Wouldn't be able to do that without some level of green light from JB.

If you mean the last 3rd of the season when Autry worked with him to get back to basics on driving the rim and scoring and rebounding and getting fouls first... and put the trey shooting on the backburner, I'd agree with you.

He got back to where he left off the season before.

That doesn't change the fact that he spent close to 2/3 of the season trying to jack treys from the perimeter to the detriment of our team, not getting inside to open up the outside shooting game... not getting layups... not getting rebounds... not getting fouls and getting to the line.

It's hard to argue his overall game improved when his lack of game cost us wins.

Yep. This offense does not get the best out of him, although he played audition ball early in the season. That's part of the reason we lost some of those early games - too many threes early in the shot clock from Tyus and Oshae, and no pretense of an offense with Frank out.
This is an under-represented take in this thread. I understand the critiques on OB's declining shooting percentages. But few have recognized that these percentages are tied to the PG issue. JC's got talent but wasn't ready to run an ACC offense. Frank couldn't even drive the lane until the last 2-3 games of the season. So it's no surprise that OB's and Tyus' numbers regressed. That is a symptom of distribution problems.

The other elephant in the room is our lack of interior offense. When you don't have a center or PF that can score in the low post, it's easy for the defense to pressure the perimeter. They give up a few drives, sure. But overall the strategy works against teams, like ours, that rely heavily on outside shooting. With Chukwu leaving our needs on the interior are even more acute.

Happy to see the staff bring in some help for Sid. I hope he gets his legs back asap. But even if he improves, I think we'll still need a GT or (less realistically) one of the younger bigs to play 10-15 mpg. Ready-to-contribute center help is important for defense, rebounding and offensive balance -- including freeing up MD's ball-handling and court vision to function at his natural position.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom