OT: Pay forum needed for sure | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pay forum needed for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every couple of months this topic comes up, and it still pisses me off. If people want a pay side, good for them, but don't pretend that it isn't just to feel elitist and superior to everyone else. Jake has a really reliable, good source? Awsome, is it really too much to ask that he shares it with the small amount of dedicated fans that managed to find this website in the first place? This isn't syracuse.com - the posters here tend to think that this is where the civilized syracuse discussion goes on, and a pay wall puts the lie to this. "Come discuss syracuse sports with the real fans! But the real real fans who actually want to discuss the news about the program you can't find on espn have to pay..." I'm a poor (syracuse) college student who in no way can justify paying a fee to get these recruiting tidbits. I enjoy this website in part because of being able to read about what those with connections are hearing. If there really is a problem with people attacking Jake/Francis, then thats a moderation issue, and putting up a pay wall just to keep the riffraff out is just a cop out.

Personally, it's been very entertaining to see some of the chaff take shots at someone who clearly knows people. Notice how quickly they began sniping too. Wonder what Freud would say about this.

Personally, it's been very entertaining to see some of the chaff take shots at someone who clearly knows people. Notice how quickly they began sniping too. Wonder what Freud would say about this.
Penis envy

Every couple of months this topic comes up, and it still pisses me off. If people want a pay side, good for them, but don't pretend that it isn't just to feel elitist and superior to everyone else. Jake has a really reliable, good source? Awsome, is it really too much to ask that he shares it with the small amount of dedicated fans that managed to find this website in the first place? This isn't syracuse.com - the posters here tend to think that this is where the civilized syracuse discussion goes on, and a pay wall puts the lie to this. "Come discuss syracuse sports with the real fans! But the real real fans who actually want to discuss the news about the program you can't find on espn have to pay..." I'm a poor (syracuse) college student who in no way can justify paying a fee to get these recruiting tidbits. I enjoy this website in part because of being able to read about what those with connections are hearing. If there really is a problem with people attacking Jake/Francis, then thats a moderation issue, and putting up a pay wall just to keep the riffraff out is just a cop out.

LOL so if you join a premium site your elitist and superior to everyone else? Christ now I know what other fanbases are talking about when they make of Su fans. Jesus christ Ive never seen more bitching about something thats an optional fee on a free site. Newsflash every freeking site Rivals, Scout, or independent has a free and pay site, you people act like this site is a welfare check your entitled to. Newsflash Jake and others dont have to post any tidbits here and if they want to move them to the pay side they can. We just spent 4-5 years at Scout with zero issue about the payside now some of you act like getting a pay board is the end of the world.

I'm not in favor of a pay side. It's not a money issue. It will divide the board. I enjoy having conversation with the mods, (Francis, Jake, Bees, cto, OE) the frequent posters (Marsh, upstate, jekelish, longislandcuse, SWC, IB, OX, azorange, ghost, albanycuse etc.) but also the posters who are fairly new. Just because someone has 3 posts doesn't mean they're a troll or don't know anything about SU. Sometimes posters see a SU recruit play and join here to talk about them. I know Hyattscuse is very knowledgable of the Dematha guys including Grant.

And this was touched on, but info is becoming more and more readily available. Shabazz's decision leaked 1-2 days before. People saw Noel's haircut and went crazy on twitter.

Instead of creating the equivalent of the private US Airways lounge at the airport because a few posters call people out, ignore them. Mods can easily put people in time out. Slow down the acceptance rate here, so to speak. People complain about stupid posts? Stop replying to them! Stop bumping them to the top! Stop giving the trolls ammo.

This board was awesome when it first started. Just talking about the upcoming season and recruits. Then thousands of members joined and everytime SU lost it was a *tstorm here, the peak was last night and today with the Noel circus taking their talents and suitcases to UK.

This board gets plenty of traffic, and I'd imagine the ad revenue more than keeps its domain alive. Not sure what $100 would do but keep information from both sides. Yes, some posters have connections but joined last week, or only want to talk for a few days.

Visiting fans are usually respectful too. We have UConn and Dook fans on here regularly, they don't cause any problems (except bronxhoya).

Chill, bros.

LOL so if you join a premium site your elitist and superior to everyone else? Christ now I know what other fanbases are talking about when they make of Su fans. Jesus christ Ive never seen more bitching about something thats an optional fee on a free site. Newsflash every freeking site Rivals, Scout, or independent has a free and pay site, you people act like this site is a welfare check your entitled to. Newsflash Jake and others dont have to post any tidbits here and if they want to move them to the pay side they can. We just spent 4-5 years at Scout with zero issue about the payside now some of you act like getting a pay board is the end of the world.
What's the difference between posting information to 100 pay side members or 1000 free side members? Everyone will find out eventually.

What's the difference between posting information to 100 pay side members or 1000 free side members? Everyone will find out eventually.

It goes back to your previous post when you said this "This board was awesome when it first started. Just talking about the upcoming season and recruits. Then thousands of members joined and everytime SU lost it was a *tstorm here, the peak was last night and today with the Noel circus taking their talents and suitcases to UK."

A pay side allows for the same kind of discussions without the backhanded comments at Jake/Francis, the trolls from syracuse.com, BRNFCuse or whatever his names is, and allows tidbits of info to come out that posters feel more comfortable sharing in a smaller setting with people they trust for the most part. After a loss you can actually have a discussion without Igor or whoever else blasting the zone or Nassib or whatever. Again its all optional if you dont want to join dont there will be more then enough discussions on the free side to keep everyone busy.

It goes back to your previous post when you said this "This board was awesome when it first started. Just talking about the upcoming season and recruits. Then thousands of members joined and everytime SU lost it was a *tstorm here, the peak was last night and today with the Noel circus taking their talents and suitcases to UK."

A pay side allows for the same kind of discussions without the backhanded comments at Jake/Francis, the trolls from syracuse.com, BRNFCuse or whatever his names is, and allows tidbits of info to come out that posters feel more comfortable sharing in a smaller setting with people they trust for the most part. After a loss you can actually have a discussion without Igor or whoever else blasting the zone or Nassib or whatever. Again its all optional if you dont want to join dont there will be more then enough discussions on the free side to keep everyone busy.
Fair enough. I just think a lot of quality posters will stay here and it will become two different sites

JeremyCuse - you obviously think your opinion is the only one that counts and anyone expressing a contrary view must not have any valid points. With your LOL's and numerous posts on this thread, the only person annoying anyone is you.

I think the tip jar is a decent idea.

Or...I subscribe to an emailed tech newsletter. The weekly newsletter is free, but they also offer the option to make an annual payment. The pay subscription offers a little more information along with what the free subscription includes.

The pay option, if chosen, leaves it up to the subscriber to pay any amount that they feel they want. Anywhere from a buck to whatever. The payment covers a years worth of pay subscription weekly newsletters. This particular newsletter has been around since the late 90's..so it must work for them.

Not sure it would work for this site, but it might be worth considering?

I'm not in favor of a pay side. It's not a money issue. It will divide the board. I enjoy having conversation with the mods, (Francis, Jake, Bees, cto, OE) the frequent posters (Marsh, upstate, jekelish, longislandcuse, SWC, IB, OX, azorange, ghost, albanycuse etc.) but also the posters who are fairly new. Just because someone has 3 posts doesn't mean they're a troll or don't know anything about SU. Sometimes posters see a SU recruit play and join here to talk about them. I know Hyattscuse is very knowledgable of the Dematha guys including Grant.

And this was touched on, but info is becoming more and more readily available. Shabazz's decision leaked 1-2 days before. People saw Noel's haircut and went crazy on twitter.

Instead of creating the equivalent of the private US Airways lounge at the airport because a few posters call people out, ignore them. Mods can easily put people in time out. Slow down the acceptance rate here, so to speak. People complain about stupid posts? Stop replying to them! Stop bumping them to the top! Stop giving the trolls ammo.

This board was awesome when it first started. Just talking about the upcoming season and recruits. Then thousands of members joined and everytime SU lost it was a *tstorm here, the peak was last night and today with the Noel circus taking their talents and suitcases to UK.

This board gets plenty of traffic, and I'd imagine the ad revenue more than keeps its domain alive. Not sure what $100 would do but keep information from both sides. Yes, some posters have connections but joined last week, or only want to talk for a few days.

Visiting fans are usually respectful too. We have UConn and Dook fans on here regularly, they don't cause any problems (except bronxhoya).

Chill, bros.
Nothing would prevent you from having conversations with any of those posters. Just because you subscribe to the pay side does not mean you can't post on the free side. Sheesh.

Fair enough. I just think a lot of quality posters will stay here and it will become two different sites

I dont think so back at scout Jake, Bees, Francis, DCCuse, GoSU, CTO, Bayside all those guys and gals posted on both sides you will see all of them still on the free side probably just as much as they are now.

The reason I would favor a pay site is to control access to the chat rooms. In the past, you had to be a member of the pay site to go to the chat room. The chat rooms then were far better and much more civil than they were this year. We had the best record in the school's history, and the chat rooms were at times unbearable. Many good, long-time posters just gave up on them because of the venom there.

I dont think so back at scout Jake, Bees, Francis, DCCuse, GoSU, CTO, Bayside all those guys and gals posted on both sides you will see all of them still on the free side probably just as much as they are now.

Exactly, not much would change

JeremyCuse - you obviously think your opinion is the only one that counts and anyone expressing a contrary view must not have any valid points. With your LOL's and numerous posts on this thread, the only person annoying anyone is you.

No I dont, if people dont want a pay site thats fine its a free country, but some of the responses to a pay side have been ridiculous. Two boards, elitist, for the better half, etc etc. You dont realize how dumb that sounds when every other site is set up with a pay and a free side.

I think the tip jar is a decent idea.

Or...I subscribe to an emailed tech newsletter. The weekly newsletter is free, but they also offer the option to make an annual payment. The pay subscription offers a little more information along with what the free subscription includes.

The pay option, if chosen, leaves it up to the subscriber to pay any amount that they feel they want. Anywhere from a buck to whatever. The payment covers a years worth of pay subscription weekly newsletters. This particular newsletter has been around since the late 90's..so it must work for them.

Not sure it would work for this site, but it might be worth considering?
Like I said, it's not a money issue, if $10 were required for all members, and there were no free side, that'd be no problem. I just see this board getting divided.

cto - I remember back in 2002-2003 that the chat rooms were free and open to all - later people who did not pay were cut off and that left many people like me without a chat option. I understand your concerns and that's why I mentioned we could perhaps have 2 chat rooms - one for the paid board and another for the non pay side. Cutting off all those who do not pay is not the best option imho.

Exactly, not much would change

And thats just a handful of posters I forgot Retro44, OrangeExtreme, Orangeyes, Tomcat, Reed, Cuseguy, SuBarney, AlbanyCuse, even the Kaiser and many more I just cant recall right now.

It worked very well on the last board. As CTO stated, the chat rooms were more controlled.

There appears to be a lot of misconceptions about a pay side. Posters have posted things that suggest a division or an either/or scenario for where they post. Clearly, it is not like that. From my experience, the pay side was reserved for discussions primarily about SU and topics and info which should not have been public knowledge. There was also much more civility there. I happened to enjoy what "inside" tidbits I could get and I am willing to pay a nominal fee to not be annoyed by the inundation of negativity that seems so pervasive on the free sides. In fact, this site is much closer to the Syracuse .com site than the site that Scout site we moved from. I, for one, will welcome Bees, et al, dropping the green flag.

At first I didn't agree with idea but I'm starting to see your point. I could see that by creating a pay site you would discourage trolls. It seems other teams fans wouldn't sign up for their posts if it cost them money to do so. Bronxhoya wouldn't pay to post his nonsense and then disappear after it doesn't go his way.

Maybe there could be a monthly limit on posts per handle. Help limit the nonsense stuff, the "This" posts, the "what would bjorn do" stuff that creeps into threads. The people would still have the option to come to the free side and still post those.

A place for civil discussion with other 'Cuse fans does sound good. I could see paying for that.

At first I didn't agree with idea but I'm starting to see your point. I could see that by creating a pay site you would discourage trolls. It seems other teams fans wouldn't sign up for their posts if it cost them money to do so. Bronxhoya wouldn't pay to post his nonsense and then disappear after it doesn't go his way.

Maybe there could be a monthly limit on posts per handle. Help limit the nonsense stuff, the "This" posts, the "what would bjorn do" stuff that creeps into threads. The people would still have the option to come to the free side and still post those.

A place for civil discussion with other 'Cuse fans does sound good. I could see paying for that.

Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.