Petro To UNC | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Good guy but that's gonna be a tough sell to the fanbase and doesn't really match up with what I heard SU was looking for.
He's the SU alum who has primarily coached women, correct?

A National Hall of Fame defenseman, McCabe started his illustrious playing career at Elmont Memorial High School, where he led the program to a New York State Championship. In 1987, he matriculated at Syracuse, where he won three NCAA Division I National Championships, earned four United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association All-American honors and was the 1990 NCAA Defensive Player of The Year.

Following college, McCabe moved into the professional ranks, playing for the New York Saints of the National Lacrosse League from 1992-2001, with seven years as team captain. In 2001, he joined the Long Island Lizards of Major League Lacrosse, spending six years with team, all of them as captain. He also helped the Lizards to MLL Championships in 2001 and 2003.

Good guy but that's gonna be a tough sell to the fanbase and doesn't really match up with what I heard SU was looking for.
Don't be leaving us in suspense with that Mr. Jake!

Would be a horrible hire IMO. We need to hit the ground running. Not have another guy who has been fully involved in the womens game for years. Experienced D1 mens defensive coordinator or defensive minded head coach with very few exceptions. Cant have another guy who needs time to get his feet wet, especially when we need the Xs and Os for a defense. Would be terrible.

He's the SU alum who has primarily coached women, correct?

Correct, think he's been at Adelphi for like a decade. Nothing against him, hell of a player and seems like a good a coach but I wouldn't be a fan of the hire for multiple reasons.

Don't be leaving us in suspense with that Mr. Jake!

Would be a horrible hire IMO. We need to hit the ground running. Not have another guy who has been fully involved in the womens game for years. Experienced D1 mens defensive coordinator or defensive minded head coach with very few exceptions. Cant have another guy who needs time to get his feet wet, especially when we need the Xs and Os for a defense. Would be terrible.

I tried to be a little more diplomatic but I can't really disagree with your thoughts. Not the guy for the time and situation right now.

Holy smokes what a disaster.

We needed a guy to come in to not only coach the defense...but help run the program (recruiting) and mend the disappointment of Petro leaving on the current roster. Stevens and Caputo should have been the types of guys to fill that role.

McCabe is a total miss.

It’s what i heard. May not be done yet.
I really hope this is not true. We cant have a D filled with 1 year grad transfers all looking towards a guy who has not coached through the modern era of the mens D1 game. Dude has not ran a men's defense since 2001 at DII CW Post. The landscape right now is a freaking dogfight. Has to be a more cutting edge hire than one of Gait's old buddies.

Due to not knowing who else WANTED the job he could be the best option. Not all coaches are willing to leave their teams high and dry at the last min.
For some context, I just went back and looked at when we hired Pat March. It was officially confirmed in early SEPTEMBER. There is time to fill a coordinator spot. Not uncommon for things to be sorted out well into the summer.

I find it hard to believe SU swung and missed on that many targets already to get down to McCabe.
Maybe he was Gary's first choice. I noticed Joey Spallina follows him on Twitter.

I find it hard to believe SU swung and missed on that many targets already to get down to McCabe.
While it seems like an eternity, it has only been 6 days since Petro was announced. Time goes slow when you're not having fun!

Maybe he was Gary's first choice. I noticed Joey Spallina follows him on Twitter.

It's certainly possible but there's a big difference between the women's lax program and the Syracuse mens team. Nothing against McCabe but its hard to see how he would be qualified to come in and be the D-coordinator on a win now team at this level. He has zero history of coaching at the D1 level period and hasn't recruited college kids in 20+ years and that wasn't at the D1 level. He's been coaching at the D2 womens level for the last decade. If McCabe wasn't an SU alum we'd be laughing over the absurdity of him even being mentioned.

While it seems like an eternity, it has only been 6 days since Petro was announced. Time goes slow when you're not having fun!

Right that's my point, my concern is if Jake's info is accurate and McCabe's the hire he was a top candidate versus someone who was much further down the list like most of us expected.

I think you guys might be missing it with Pat. He and Gary overlapped at SU. They know and like one another. Pat has been involved in lacrosse forever and has a lot of connections, especially on the island. He understands the game, seems to relate well to young players, and I think he would do quite well as a recruiter for SU.

It's certainly possible but there's a big difference between the women's lax program and the Syracuse mens team. Nothing against McCabl but its hard to see how he would be qualified to come in and be the D-coordinator on a win now team at this level. He has zero history of coaching at the D1 level period and hasn't recruited college kids in 20+ years and that wasn't at the D1 level. He's been coaching at the D2 womens level for the last decade. If McCabe wasn't an SU alum we'd be laughing over the absurdity of him even being mentioned.

And unlike Gary Gait...who is an icon with a successful equipment brand that bears his name...no kids today remember Pat McCabe (unless they have parents who played in a prior generation). How can he be expected to recruit at the level that will be necessary??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom