Pitt's Lack of Class is Pathetic... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt's Lack of Class is Pathetic...

"And now to give the toast, the best man - who despite his biggest failing being a supporter of the hapless, classless, choker of a team in Pitt and is here today only because the groom is a gracious winner like his #1 team Syracuse - will deliver the best toast he can muster in honor of Tyler Ennis and the happy couple."

This is the script for your DJ.

The wedding cake should have a figure of a bride and groom... and Tyler Ennis.

Are we sure he said that? I've watched the shot and post shot over and over. I can't make out what he says and it seems like he only says one word maybe.

I'm not.

You would also be grumpy if you lost both of your superbowl games in one season.

...but something I've come to expect from them.

A slew of things from last night alone:

• Dixon flipped out in the first half when a call didn't go his way...had NO idea how he wasn't "T'd" up
  • When Ennis is HACKED driving the lane, and the collective air is sucked out of #OrangeNation because it looked at first like he'd broken his wrist or elbow, some Pitt douche yells "are you crying? are you crying, baby?" - Serious scum right there. I wanted nothing more than for Ennis to stick it to Pitt after that. No wonder Marcus Smart flipped out.
  • When Ennis hits the game winner, the Pitt student section gives him the finger. - Keep it classy Pitt.
  • Zanna calls it a "lucky shot." - No idiot, the lucky shot was the one that your teammate made as a four point play to avoid a brutal loss on Saturday.
  • And perhaps the worst...one of my best friends (Pitt Alum) who will be my best man in less than four months, when I call him today, giving him the respect of not calling to gloat last night, dismisses the win, says Syracuse is "pretty good," and that it took a "lucky shot" to beat us. Classic little brother big brother syndrome. For YEARS he's rubbed it in my face when Pitt OWNED us, and now the tables have turned, he can't take it.
  • Oh...and did I mention last year at the Pete some female Pitt fan kept making bird/monkey noises during the game...probably some racist epithets. I seriously wanted to choke someone out.
FLUCK PITT!! LET'S GO ORANGE!!

Were you also there at a Georgetown game at which Boeheim stopped the game, got on the PA system and said, "If I hear any more comments from the crowd like I have been hearing, I will take the team off the floor and forfeit the game to Georgetown"?

Every Big East crowd Ewing played before threw banana peels. The Villanova crowd was the first one to wear "Ewing can't reed (sic) this short" shirts.

Having said that, I wouldn't claim that the SU crowd has any more "class" than any of the others. Well, maybe than some of the worst, like Maryland's.

I remember when he got on the PA during the Georgetown game in 1989 [Sherman Douglas's last home game] because people were throwing stuff on the court.

When did the incident you describe happen?

You know I hate to get on you personally, but are you serious about this? This stuff is all news to you? You needed them flipping off Ennis to realize they are dirtbag scum? Zanna needed to say it was a lucky shot for you to get pissed? They use eye gouges as a defensive technique. We've seen them destroy Preston Shumpert's eye. We've seen them pull Allen Ray's eye right out of the socket. We've seen this garbage and much more for years and NOW you are up in arms?

I've seen a very disturbing lack of hatred for Pitt on this board for some time now and frankly it is really starting to piss me off. You people better get your freaking heads in the game.

I've always been consistent with my INTENSE hatred for Pitt. This isn't new to me, but to be honest, before I became an SU student in 03-04', I didn't know much about our rivalry with Pitt. As stated in the OP, my best friend also went to Pitt the same time I went to Cuse, so I've endured constant abuse from him over the last 10 years or so.

I've ALWAYS hated Pitt much more than Georgetown, and a little more than Yukon since my SU "fandom" started when I came to the hill.

It almost has 100% to do with the fact that their program plays dirty, physically aggressive ball to the point of basically resembling a product that looks more like street NYC playground ball than college basketball. The constant abuse from my buddy has made me LOATHE Pitt far more than GT or Yukon.

They're not good. At all. Their program sucks. They flame out year after year because they play thug ball that doesn't hold up in March. But we're not built to go up against teams like that as a program. We recruit athletes for the 2-3 zone, not bruisers who are also enforcers. That's why they're so successful against us. They body us every chance they get, and the refs let them get away with it. No different than Pitino who has been on record as stating he tells his team to "foul for 40 minutes. That way at the end of the game the refs won't be able to tell what's a foul and what's not." No coincidence that for the last 5+ years, we've struggled more against Pitt and Louisville than any other teams. They play dirty ball.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not going to call them all obnoxious morons because of that (we have some of our own at games, I'm sure) - but they are an annoying bunch. Still, how bad can they be, their fan base seemed to be lining up to take pics with JB pregame! :)

Dixon should have been T'd up, arguing a call is fine, acting like a complete imbecile isn't. Settle down - they're already reviewing it.

The finger thing - eh, in the heat of the moment ppl do dumb stuff. Seems relatively tame to me.

If they were chanting that while he was on the ground - classless. I didn't really hear it till he got up to the line. Not sure.

Lucky shot? That's just stupid. It was a pretty controlled shot - it's lucky when you have to throw it overhand, or put so much force into it that you can't control it. These kids can make those shots at a pretty decent clip (not 40%, but u get the point).

If Zanna wants to talk lucky, he should mention that he should have had about 39 fouls called on him for raping Xmas in the post...

A post of reason. Nice work.

I want to say that I've always been consistent with my INTENSE hatred for Pitt.

This isn't new to me, but to be honest, before I became an SU student in 03-04', I didn't know much about our rivalry with Pitt. As stated in the OP, my best friend also went to Pitt the same time I went to Cuse, so I've endured constant abuse from him over the last 10 years or so.

I've ALWAYS hated Pitt much more than Georgetown, and a little more than Yukon since my SU "fandom" started when I came to the hill.

It almost has 100% to do with the fact that their program plays dirty, physically aggressive ball to the point of basically resembling a product that looks more like street NYC playground ball than college basketball. The constant abuse from my buddy has made me LOATHE Pitt far more than GT or Yukon.

They're not good. At all. Their program sucks. They flame out year after year because they play thug ball that doesn't hold up in March. But we're not built to go up against teams like that as a program. We recruit athletes for the 2-3 zone, not bruisers who are also enforcers.
Imagine Pitt wearing grey uniforms and you're watching what Georgetown was in the 80's, except they had some talent. That's why Georgetown is hated by the older fans.

I remember when he got on the PA during the Georgetown game in 1989 [Sherman Douglas's last home game] because people were throwing stuff on the court.

When did the incident you describe happen?

That may have been the game.

At any rate, he put a stop to bad fan behavior. I have never seen anyone else do it.

He didn't do it again, but maybe because he had made it clear what he would do.

Imagine Pitt wearing grey uniforms and you're watching what Georgetown was in the 80's, except they had some talent. That's why Georgetown is hated by the older fans.

I get the comparison, but I'm tempted to say, "Not even close".

Georgetown players were throwing fists regularly. Pit''s physical maybe even borderline dirty.

But Georgetown was in a different class entirely.

Michael Graham punched an SU player who was laying on the ground defenseless.

Are we sure he said that? I've watched the shot and post shot over and over. I can't make out what he says and it seems like he only says one word maybe.
Pretty Sure he said "my house"

I get the comparison, but I'm tempted to say, "Not even close".

Georgetown players were throwing fists regularly. Pit''s physical maybe even borderline dirty.

But Georgetown was in a different class entirely.

Michael Graham punched an SU player who was laying on the ground defenseless.
I agree with you. I was giving some reference to someone too young to understand that history, so he could understand our hatred of the Hoyas.

Re: best man.

That's a valuable friend to have, mostly because if you ever need someone to feed your pets or water your plants in the first weekend of April, you know he'll never have anything more important going on.

The comparison to Georgetown doesn't work. It was a completely different ballgame with Georgetown. Both on and off the court. Frankly, in the evil foil category Dixon is a total joke compared to JT2. It's like everything else about that Pitt program - second rate trash. Plus Georgetwon actually accomplished something in those days. I despise playing Pitt more than anything. It is just no worth it to risk injuring your players against them. They are so far beneath us. I mean we show up there with an elite team which will compete for a National Championship, filled with players who have legit expectations of successful NBA careers and subject them to getting forearm shivers, eye gouges, thrown to the ground, thrown into basket stanchions, etc. And for what?? So we can get a win aganst a meaningless pissant POS garbage pile of irrelevancy??

The comparison to Georgetown doesn't work. It was a completely different ballgame with Georgetown. Both on and off the court. Frankly, in the evil foil category Dixon is a total joke compared to JT2. It's like everything else about that Pitt program - second rate trash. Plus Georgetwon actually accomplished something in those days. I despise playing Pitt more than anything. It is just no worth it to risk injuring your players against them. They are so far beneath us. I mean we show up there with an elite team which will compete for a National Championship, filled with players who have legit expectations of successful NBA careers and subject them to getting forearm shivers, eye gouges, thrown to the ground, thrown into basket stanchions, etc. And for what?? So we can get a win aganst a meaningless pissant POS garbage pile of irrelevancy??
Ok, I'll try to explain this again. I'm not suggesting, in any way, that our rivalry with Pitt is on the same level as it was with Georgetown. However, there is a younger fan on here that has absolutely no reference point for understanding the way older fans feel toward Georgetown. To give him some point of reference, I referred to Pitt's thuggery as a reason for why we don't like them, and thuggery is certainly one of the things that fueled our hatred for Georgetown. It was thuggery on a completely different level, but it was referenced with Georgetown then and is referenced with Pitt now, so I used it. To provide a little clarification, I made sure to point out that those Georgetown teams actually had more talent.

I honestly don't understand how people can see one statement and completely make it in to more than it is. It's like we're playing the phone game here.

Ok, I'll try to explain this again. I'm not suggesting, in any way, that our rivalry with Pitt is on the same level as it was with Georgetown. However, there is a younger fan on here that has absolutely no reference point for understanding the way older fans feel toward Georgetown. To give him some point of reference, I referred to Pitt's thuggery as a reason for why we don't like them, and thuggery is certainly one of the things that fueled our hatred for Georgetown. It was thuggery on a completely different level, but it was referenced with Georgetown then and is referenced with Pitt now, so I used it. To provide a little clarification, I made sure to point out that those Georgetown teams actually had more talent.

I honestly don't understand how people can see one statement and completely make it in to more than it is. It's like we're playing the phone game here.

Well because my point is that it isn't so much the thuggery. It is the thuggery combined with the complete lack of any accomplishment in their program that makes withstanding the thuggery worthwhile. Of course we all hate Georgetown, but beating Georgetown had meaning. Beating Pitt means nothing to anybody.

...but something I've come to expect from them.

A slew of things from last night alone:

• Dixon flipped out in the first half when a call didn't go his way...had NO idea how he wasn't "T'd"
He was so out of the coaching box it was crazy. If JB did that he would have be T'd in a second!

There's a difference between wearing a t-shirt that kind of insinuates that you're a tool and don't have a lot of class, versus opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Pitt fans, their entire program and the way they carry themselves fall squarely into the latter.

I hear what you are saying. Wearing a t-shirt is pretty benign versus verbal abuse.

But I still feel that there is no possibility that anyone wearing one of those t-shirts has any "class" whatsoever. In fact, they appear to be revelling in not having any.

That may have been the game.

At any rate, he put a stop to bad fan behavior. I have never seen anyone else do it.

He didn't do it again, but maybe because he had made it clear what he would do.

A google search brought this up...Personally, I think we need more so called "hooligans with boorish enthusiasm" in the Carrier Dome in 2014.

Carried AwayBack
Article in the Syracuse Herald Journal, January 30th, 1985

by Mark Whicker, Philadelphia Daily News
They stumbled up the hill and into the big bubble Monday night. 32,229 of them.
CarriedAway_Boeheim.JPG
They wore lumberjack coats, sucking every beer they could find, frowning and yelling and ruthlessly spreading the kind of boorish
CarriedAway_Cheerleader.JPG
enthusiasm that turns into a disease. But then, isn't that why they call it the Carrier Dome?
There are fans, and there are hooligans, and then there are the good folks from Syracuse. At the end, when Syracuse University had survived Georgetown. 65-63 they went over the top of everything — and everyone — in their way. As the Hoyas and Orangemen fled for harbor, the riffraff took over the court as if it were Iwo Jima. And this is how they are when they're happy. The Syracuse experience makes you wonder if games such as this, with artists such as Rafael Addison and Patrick Ewing ought to be played in galleries, by invitation only.
The Syracuse experience makes you think there can be such a thing as a Too Big East. But even as Dwayne Washington, bedeviled into seven turnovers by his own arrogance and Georgetown's defense, rammed home the winning jumper, there was only one real star of Monday night's show.
That man was Jim Boeheim, the SU coach.
But. Monday night, Boeheim did much more than direct Syracuse's 13th win in 16 games. Because he stood up to the mob that thinks a ticket is a license to practice insanity, he stopped the ugliness in its muddy tracks. Because of Boeheim. the show was allowed to go on.
The crowd waited all of three minutes and 30 seconds to thoroughly pollute the atmosphere. Oh. sure, there were the early rituals— the banana that someone rolled onto the court when Ewing walked out. The sign that read “Ewing Cant Spell ESPN". The thunderous salutes of "Who's He? ... WhoCares?... Big Deal... So What... and Big (Bleep)" when the Hoyas, who certainly have earned some measure of dignity by now, were introduced. But when Georgetown's Reggie Williams sank a free throw, Boeheim grimaced when certain English lit majors in the student section shouted, "(Bleep), (bleep) you (bleep bleep)"
Then Ewing drew a charge from Washington, which sent even more tale into the aisle. And then Rony Seikaly fouled Ewing. The Hoya senior, who came to Syracuse with a 6-2 record against the Orange, poised for the free throw. He released it.
Just as it neared the rim. someone — obviously not a Syracuse quarterback — flung a perfectly timed orange that hit the backboard at the same time.
John Thompson, righteously angry for a good reason this time, waved his Hoyas off the floor. The PA announcer reminded everyone that the game could well be suspended. The referees took their time about resuming play, hoping the tumult would fade. When it didn't’t Thompson brought the Hoyas back to the bench again, and there was no doubt he meant business. One more incident, and Georgetown would be back into the snow and on the bus. And then we would find out just how riot-proof the foundations of the Carrier Dome were.
But Boeheim saved the day. He went right to the microphone.
"I just want to say," he said coldly, "that any time the next orange is thrown on the court, we're going to ask for an intentional technical foul. And if I hear that chant one more time after a free throw, that's going to be a technical foul, too. On us."
"With that. Boeheim took his own crowd out of the game long enough for the Hoyas . to skip out to a 30-21 lead. But he also underlined the Big East's reputation as a conference where the line between enthusiasm and savagery is thick and unmistakable.It was quite a gesture. Would Memphis State's Dana Kirk do that for Louisville? Would Maryland's Lefty Driesell smooth the waters for Dean Smith and North Carolina?
In a game where the Pearl was barely a hood ornament and where Ewing was a monument, Boeheim still got the win.
He got it because Addison, probably the nation's most underrated player, went the full 40 with only one turnover, shot 10-for-18, and grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds; because Seikaly and the rest led an improbable 4I-32 victory on the boards; and because Georgetown continued to malfunction offensively.
But what about the crowd? Did Boeheim know he would have to play bad cop?
"Honestly, we have as well-behaved a group of fans as anyone." he claimed. "But I'm tired of that (foul-shot) cheer. I think it's bush, and I've wanted to get it out of this building for a long time. I hope we did that tonight."
And the orange?
"Oh. That was just one person," he said. "One thing bothered me about that."
What?
"It bothered me that they gave Ewing both those free throws over again," he sputtered. "The orange didn't have anything to do with him missing the first one."
He was wrong there, but it didn't matter. At Syracuse, blessed is the peacemaker, even if he is Jim Boeheim.

Awesome, a guy from Philly lecturing on how sports fan should act with class.

Well because my point is that it isn't so much the thuggery. It is the thuggery combined with the complete lack of any accomplishment in their program that makes withstanding the thuggery worthwhile. Of course we all hate Georgetown, but beating Georgetown had meaning. Beating Pitt means nothing to anybody.
Ok. I will never again try to give perspective to someone that doesn't understand what our rivalry with Georgetown was like.

It was a lucky shot though. I don't see the issue with people calling it such. Do we want Ennis shooting that shot every game with the game in the balance? No. Is he going to miss way more of those than he makes? yea, it was lucky. Just enjoy baby!

Who, me? I'm from New Jersey my friend. I loathe Philly with a passion. Their sports fans are jerks.

No the author of that article that was posted.

Ok. I will never again try to give perspective to someone that doesn't understand what our rivalry with Georgetown was like.

Ease up my brother. Relax. You are not understanding - I am telling you I hate Pitt more than GTown and I was at the Orange throwing game and the JT2 ejection game, etc. I hate the very existance of Pitt. I hate the idea that we have to play them. I don't think they should even be in the same division of college basketball as us. I have no respect for them. For god's sake they have done nothing. Ever. Their greatest accomplishment in the sport is unleashing John freaking Calipari onto the world.

Ease up my brother. Relax. You are not understanding - I am telling you I hate Pitt more than GTown and I was at the Orange throwing game and the JT2 ejection game, etc. I hate the very existance of Pitt. I hate the idea that we have to play them. I don't think they should even be in the same division of college basketball as us. I have no respect for them. For god's sake they have done nothing. Ever. Their greatest accomplishment in the sport is unleashing John freaking Calipari onto the world.

You got something else going on there.

Providence has "never done anything". Do you hate them?

As an opponent, Pitt is pretty benign.

I'd be more concerned about Louisville, which is hardly a college. It's an open enrollment 4-yr Junior college with a fan base that looks like the crowd at a truck stop on the Ohio Turnpike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom