Postgame thoughts... WVU (NCAAT) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... WVU (NCAAT)

the team finished last year trouncing UNC...and had everyone back sans Hughes (big loss) but had his replacement in AG...

But it was like they started from scratch...which was puzzling. Yeah the COVID did them in ...taking away 40 days of practice time that they badly needed.

I think it is clear that those pauses did a lot of damage...just barely not enough to kill the season...but they got as close to the brink as possible.

In hindsight, a lot of the things people were calling for ended up coming to pass and ahve worked charms...so...yeah...it was a grind of a season...that somehow worked out in the end...but only barely...by the slimmest of margins possible.
AG is not Eli.

I'd have to go back and watch the end, but JB may have initially wanted to keep his best FT shooters o the floor (Braswell and Girard), until it became apparent that we really needed a better ball handler to break their press.
Two things almost killed us: the lack of movement by the SU players on the floor against the backcourt pressure, and the fact all five were in the backcourt against M2M pressure brought too many defenders into the area. I know WV had some pretty good athletes on the floor, but we have to run a better press break, and it will probably be addressed this week. Because you know Sampson has already noticed it. too.

That was a malox masher...we need to clean up the press break...and why was Kadary taking the ball out in that one spot? But give the boys credit we could have folded when they took the lead but we stayed composed and really played great. So gritty and so impressive. Cuse vs Sister Jean in the elite 8...I’m calling it now

You can only run the whole baseline after a basket. If you throw the ball in and it gets checked out, you have to stay at that spot. Same thing with calling a t/o when you're trapped on the floor. It's especially bad when you do it in a corner, cuz that's where the ball will come back in. We survived sure, but there has to be better decision making made on the floor there. I'm sure JB will get to it. :)

That's all the food he gets? Somebody get the kid like 4 large pizzas, or if he wants a little more give him Joe's post game meal.

I'm just thankful he isn't in traction with his left ankle in a cast. :)

340645E3-065B-4D2D-98F4-459CE78639A6.jpeg

Sweet sixteen, just like we all thought when we were down by 20 at home to Notre Dame. A few thoughts:
-I think the single biggest thing that happened yesterday was JB putting Marek in with 4 fouls. At that time in the game we had no flow on offense and WVU was making a huge run. Jesse was struggling and the ball was not moving. If we kept that lineup out there we would not have won the game. JB trusted Marek and things changed dramatically.
-Give Buddy a ton of credit. He couldn't buy a shot in the first half but shook it off and came up big. I kind of expected him to have a tough game given the law of averages and the team/coach we were playing. But he kept looking for his offense and dropped 22 in the second half which is absurd. The charging foul on him was complete garbage.
-Q played his arse off. JB is right, the kid is so close to really being good. He also got screwed on an offensive foul, his was early in the first half. And he missed a bunny. But he had some great strokes from outside, made some shots off drives and more importantly his interior defense was as good as it has ever been. Culver is a good player but we dominated him on defense.
-JG3 was huge with his shot in the first half which was critical with Buddy quiet. He still had 3 horrid turnovers for a d1 pg and at times dribbled too much. I thought he ball moved better in the second half when JB finally put Kadary in and i would have put him in sooner. I was surprised at Kadary's careless turnover late when he should have been killing clock. That late jumper was $ and bodes well for the future. And the sick dish to Bras for the three. Speaking of which.
-in January which was more likely, Braswell playing 29 minutes in a win versus WVU to get us to the sweet 16 or him taking an uber to the transfer portal? I'm a broken record on this point but credit this guy for staying ready when things looked bleak for him. He missed a couple of shots early and I worried about his fatigue but his d was great and who on this board won't watch that three with GMac in his ear a million times? Kid has stones.
-That last minute was pure hell. The Kadary and Marek turnovers were basically unforced. Reminiscent of the UNC game. I'm assuming the staff will put a little time in at practice improving the zone break. Here's one place to start, the guards can't just stand, they have to move and get open. And get Quincy down the floor to create spacing, plus with the way he has been shooting free throws you don't want the ball in his hands there.
-Nantz was terrible. Kept mixing up Griffin and Q even though they don't look alike. Totally unprofessional and embarrassing. Mispronounced both Guerrier and Dolezaj (as he did in the sweet 16 versus Duke). Raf was excellent as always.
Sweet sixteen. Let's go. Surprised we have to wait until Saturday but that gives us more time to enjoy the ride.

Did anyone watched the post game presser with Huggins. He said twice the reason they lost was they switched when they shouldn't which lead to the three 3s from buddy after they caught up. He told his players not to switch to keep the more lengthy guard on buddy but they switched anyways for some reason.

Did anyone watched the post game presser with Huggins. He said twice the reason they lost was they switched when they shouldn't which lead to the three 3s from buddy after they caught up. He told his players not to switch to keep the more lengthy guard on buddy but they switched anyways for some reason.

He might be overestimating the ability of his team to understand him when slurring his words..

Boeheim's most impressive coaching achievements are those that are not under the big lights.

What he was able to achieve in practice after his team had been embarrassed by Pitt, UVA, Clemson, has got to be considered something close to a Coaching Miracle. From those days of blowout losses, JB was able to coach away the mistakes that were killing them, and make them believe in their ability to put it all together.

The Huge Irony: at the very time when his arm-chair critics were condemning his coaching inadequacies [as they perceived them] suggesting he should retire, he was coaching the hell out of his team, turning them into the Powerful Force that you saw today.

So whose perceptions of the teams strengths vs weaknesses back then were more accurate?

Boeheim's?
Or his critics?

People who think the grass is greener are in for a rude awakening when he leaves

the team finished last year trouncing UNC...and had everyone back sans Hughes (big loss) but had his replacement in AG...

But it was like they started from scratch...which was puzzling. Yeah the COVID did them in ...taking away 40 days of practice time that they badly needed.

I think it is clear that those pauses did a lot of damage...just barely not enough to kill the season...but they got as close to the brink as possible.

In hindsight, a lot of the things people were calling for ended up coming to pass and ahve worked charms...so...yeah...it was a grind of a season...that somehow worked out in the end...but only barely...by the slimmest of margins possible.
If anything, this shows the value of high end coaching. JB salvaged the season, K wasn't able to do the same, but does anyone doubt with a full preseason and schedule Duke wouldn't have found a way into the tournament. Great coaches not having access to the players really hurts development

The thing I love about this video is how much fun Griffin is having even though he hasn’t contributed much and has lost minutes.

Because he’s still playing, and the Illini are headed home.

Because he’s still playing, and the Illini are headed home.

Also - because he would have been coming off the bench again for Illinois, vs being a starter here.

And, as much as he's struggled, he's also gotten a LOT of rope - and minutes - from JAB for the majority of this season.
It's really only been the last month or so of this season that he's been getting benched and replaced w/ Bras - a lot of which is due to BBBB playing so well when he's getting minutes now.

Griff averaged about 18 mins for the Illini last year.
He's just shy of 30 here.

He was given the opportunity to step in and be THE MAN, like Eli was for us.

He's not a good enough player - yet - to do that consistently.
(Neither was Eli - until he was.)

Sweet sixteen, just like we all thought when we were down by 20 at home to Notre Dame. A few thoughts:
... Nantz was terrible. Kept mixing up Griffin and Q even though they don't look alike. Totally unprofessional and embarrassing. Mispronounced both Guerrier and Dolezaj (as he did in the sweet 16 versus Duke). Raf was excellent as always. ...
I like Nantz, but he's done better than he did yesterday. I noticed that, in addition to the slip-ups you mentioned, he also said that Girard was from "Glen Falls" :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom