Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

I sure hope Tommy sticks around. Wouldn’t we be right back where we started if he transferred depth wise? Having both TD and GS is better than we’ve had it in years. We need to keep that depth.
I'd like to see them platoon. Playing time for each game comes down to opponent, scheme and hot hand.

Schrader's and Lamson's tapes remind me of Dungey: can throw well, see the field, scramble, throw on the run and is a threat on designed runs. Tommy can also do well on designed runs but I don't think he reads the field, feels the rush or throws on the run as well. He can be a good pocket passer - when there's a pocket. Morgan and Markiewicz have good potential. I don't know what role Culpepper or Summers will have.

But I am optimistic that out of that group we'll get an ACC-level starter, an adequate back up and the 'next guy' after DeVito. I hope Dino doesn't just settle on two guys and give them all the reps after a season where we had to use three guys.

Last edited:
His passing stats at MSU in terms of QB rating are comparable to Tommy's career passing stats at SU. Add in his ability as a runner and elusiveness and he should be an upgrade. So, no, we are not talking about a HS kid w no P5 experience.

Also, even though what you say about Garrett is true in terms of us not knowing whether or not he can solve most of our QB problems, the one thing we DO know, is that Tommy is not the answer.

It may seem like I am knocking Tommy, Tommy has some talent, I just think he is a totally wrong fit for our system and with our current roster.

In the end, I just want the Cuse to return to winning ways. i dont care who is the QB who can get that done, I just don not believe that Tommy is that guy. If Tommy can win the starters job and prove me wrong, I would love to publicly admit the error of my ways.
What I disagree with is when you say that the staff told this kid he was the favorite. No good coach would ever say that. Every chance to compete, sure. you are the favorite against a guy that has been here 4 years and the starter for 2, no way. Can Garrett win the job, well, it isn't like he is competing against Tom Brady so yeah, he can be the job. If I was to guess, Tommy will be the starter on our opening game next year. Garrett will be given the chance to unseat him.

What I disagree with is when you say that the staff told this kid he was the favorite. No good coach would ever say that. Every chance to compete, sure. you are the favorite against a guy that has been here 4 years and the starter for 2, no way. Can Garrett win the job, well, it isn't like he is competing against Tom Brady so yeah, he can be the job. If I was to guess, Tommy will be the starter on our opening game next year. Garrett will be given the chance to unseat him.

No coach promises a kid he will start or tells a kid he's the favorite.

They tell him you're a perfect fit with what we want to do and you'll have every chance to compete for the job.

Coaches often go with what they think is the safer choice early on. But having a legit backup makes it easier to get out the hook.

I doubt the coaches promised he was the starter but he probably looked at our qb room and had the confidence to believe he could be the starter. Has a lot of confidence. Just look when he tucks and runs wants to get yards and win.
no one in the current qb room is scaring off any quality qb.
I do not believe TD is going to fix his issues. He has displayed the same problems for three years and had not corrected the problem.
Our OL will be better but let’s be honest they are not going to give any qbs on the roster 5 to 6 seconds to throw the ball. We need someone who can get yardage when the play breaks down without tripping on his own players, his own feet, a pinky tackle or the turf monster.
That is why the staff has picked up two dual threats as our last two qb commits.

Girard ends the Buffalo game on the bench and this. Bad day for guys who thought they were untouchable.

oh for gods sake, the ph of your blood must be pure vinegar

what proof do you have that either kid doesnt work as hard as he can, is a bad teammate, and thinks they are untouchable

do you ever get any enjoyment from sports or is it just another channel for your overflowing venom

Last edited:
Many here are saying there will be serious competition with Tommy. I really do not see it that way. I expect Garrett to be our starter for several reasons:

1. We badly need a dual threat QB relative to the status of our overall roster. We simply do not have good enough line play or good enough receivers for a straight drop back guy. Gotta add that other dimension to keep D's honest.
2 Tommy has had his chances. He simply does not elevate the team or make game changing plays. I have only seen that from him in the FSU game his freshmen season when the D's weren't ready for him. Dino will need to play whoever gives us the best chance for W's, Tommy has already flunked that test for this team and this roster.
3. Garrett has three years left, he may as well thoroughly learn the system in his first season and position him to star his final two years even if all else is equal.
4. I gotta believe that he did not come here to play second fiddle, and that he has already been told he will be the favorite to start.

the line is going to be so much better, Great competition for the receiver corp, the three freshmen, Alford, hopefully heathy Hendrix

predict Devito goes for 3500 30/10

His passing stats at MSU in terms of QB rating are comparable to Tommy's career passing stats at SU. Add in his ability as a runner and elusiveness and he should be an upgrade. So, no, we are not talking about a HS kid w no P5 experience.

Also, even though what you say about Garrett is true in terms of us not knowing whether or not he can solve most of our QB problems, the one thing we DO know, is that Tommy is not the answer.

It may seem like I am knocking Tommy, Tommy has some talent, I just think he is a totally wrong fit for our system and with our current roster.

In the end, I just want the Cuse to return to winning ways. i dont care who is the QB who can get that done, I just don not believe that Tommy is that guy. If Tommy can win the starters job and prove me wrong, I would love to publicly admit the error of my ways.

speak for yourself

I'm guessing he was told there will be an open competition. He wasn't in the 2-deep last year-Not sure he can command any guarantees. Hopefully, he and TD can make each other better.
He started 4 games in 2019 in the SEC.

Lol. That might not have been clear - starting a bunch of games in a p5 doesn’t mean you are good. It means you were the best option.

I like this kid, but his time there doesn’t guarantee a job here.
Of course. However, I am starting to think Dino just pushed his chips into the middle of the table.

lol fellas. This thread has been entertaining. I like all the different perspectives. I like that you guys are excited again. All we can do is make predictions on who wins the job based on what we’ve seen from the players so far. It’s a given that they have to earn it. I just want to see the best version of each player. I’m happy we get to talk about this. It’s been a long time since we had a QB battle. Last time we had this was in our first season in the Acc. We won a bowl game that year.

He started 4 games in 2019 in the SEC.
As a True FR during the heart of conference play in the SEC West. And he was effective.

600 yds and 6 tuddies by foot as well?

Yeah, he’ll have to earn it, but it looks like he’s capable of competing for it at the very least.

I’m excited, he’s a freak athlete.

Heres the deal. We dont have a starting QB. The job is wide open. Every QB in the room has a shot. My money is on Tommy to earn day 1 start but his leash is going to be extremely tight.

oh for gods sake, the ph of your blood must be pure vinegar

what proof do you have that either kid doesnt work as hard as he can, is a bad teammate, and thinks they are untouchable

do you ever get any enjoyment from sports or is it just another channel for your overflowing venom
There are just some people who can only exist if they are trying to justify themselves by denigrating others; usually done without evidence, from afar, via keyboard, while shrouded in anonymity.

[/QUOTE]
One interesting nugget here is that Shrader injured his labrum near the tail-end of his HS career. Underwent surgery to repair that injury the December of his senior year (2018). That injury and recovery COULD have affected his precision as a passer as Mississippi State, where he completed “only” ~55% of his passes.

The labrum injury in baseball almost always affects a pitcher’s command, even after surgery, for a period of time. My point is that this repair MIGHT have impacted his ability to perform as a Bulldog.

His relative inactivity throwing the ball in 2020 should have allowed the injury to heal and for him to synch up with his healthier shoulder.

One interesting nugget here is that Shrader injured his labrum near the tail-end of his HS career. Underwent surgery to repair that injury the December of his senior year (2018). That injury and recovery COULD have affected his precision as a passer as Mississippi State, where he completed “only” ~55% of his passes.

The labrum injury in baseball almost always affects a pitcher’s command, even after surgery, for a period of time. My point is that this repair MIGHT have impacted his ability to perform as a Bulldog.

His relative inactivity throwing the ball in 2020 should have allowed the injury to heal and for him to synch up with his healthier shoulder.
[/QUOTE]
Cuseregular . What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom